What Was The First Band To Get you Into Rock/Metal/Etc?

http://www.bibleetnombres.free.fr/images41/kiss_destroyer_s.jpg

This album from this band more than other bands or albums...but it wasn't TRULY a single band or album that did it

This album was under my Xmas tree in 1976. Changed my life. I joined the KISS ARMY too.

But!

As for METAL?

ACCEPT!

BREAKER

RESTLESS AND WILD!

• Like 1

Heavy rock album, it had to be British Steel. Zep IV's Black Dog was my first early heavy-ish track, though.

Sabbath scared me away from heavy stuff, early on. :LOL:

• Like 1

My first rock band: Evanescence and Nirvana

My first rock obsession: UK band Funeral For A Friend

My first major metal obsession: Trivium

Like lots of others have answered, it's KISS for me. My best friend had an older brother who was really into rock, and we used to sit at his place and listen to Alive II. Gene was always my favorite.

From there, it was a short hop to Rush, circa "Tom Sawyer."

For heavier music, it was probably Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" -- which I heard for the first time watching a PBS broadcast of The Young Ones (MTV also aired it for awhile)!

Good times.

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 3

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wemoweh)" my sister had it on the radio in the fall of '61 while 'babysitting' myself and her own toddler at the time. The Beatles took over her playlist from then on... Edited by OldRUSHfan

I have a couple of answers.

My first rock song, The Who covering Barbara Ann. I think I was 4 or 5 when I heard it early 70s. So I was a Who fan first, and that I liked rock music.

Less than a decade later AC/DC and Judas Priest hooked me in for the heavy stuff.

Then Rush got ahold of me. Sent me down the prog/metal road. 1981. Opened the door for me to appreciate Yes and ELP. Then Asia.

Then there was Metallica. Who I love(d) as much as Rush.

Not much else to know about me from a rock music point of view. All the other bands we talk about, for me, fit into the landscape around the ones I mention in this post.

• Like 1

KISS when I was 4 in '77. But I wasn't a hardcore fan until I heard Pyromania and Shout At The Devil around the same time in the fall of '83. Mick Mars' guitar tone on Looks That Kill totally put the hooks in me. And then I soon discovered Ozzy, Van Halen and Iron Maiden too. I've never been the same.
  • Like 2

For metal it was definitely Iron Maiden, more specifically Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I was obsessed with that album, inc the artwork. I only had the cassette but would take it everywhere with me on my portable, lol. We would just chill at some location with that blasting, there was nothing like it at the time, happy days.

• Like 1

Then Rush got ahold of me. Sent me down the prog/metal road. 1981. Opened the door for me to appreciate Yes and ELP. Then Asia.

I found Metallica around the Puppets album and it was like a breath of fresh air. Hardly anyone around me got them back in those days (except for the record store salespeople), they were still stuck in the NWOBHM /trad stuff etc...loved it to death and then Justice broke, picked up way more fans, the world tour etc, they were prob my fave band around that time (just really stuck within the big four through the years). Never appreciated prog until much later on, prob my last genre to really hit me...Rush first, then Yes and a little KC. It's been a great ride and thanks to this forum opened up a few more great bands.

• Like 1

I found Metallica around the Puppets album and it was like a breath of fresh air. Hardly anyone around me got them back in those days (except for the record store salespeople), they were still stuck in the NWOBHM /trad stuff etc...loved it to death and then Justice broke, picked up way more fans, the world tour etc, they were prob my fave band around that time (just really stuck within the big four through the years). Never appreciated prog until much later on, prob my last genre to really hit me...Rush first, then Yes and a little KC. It's been a great ride and thanks to this forum opened up a few more great bands.

I can't say that I was a Metallica fan from the demo days. But I heard one of the songs from the first album on the radio, when it was new and I ran out to the record store the next day to pick it up. (Still have that first pressing) So I consider myself an early fan...I was spreading the word playing it for people.

Yeah, the internet in the early 90's opened up a lot of new avenues to find new music. Before then, as we all know, it was radio, word of mouth, and sometimes just picking up a random record from the shop. Hmmm... Wendy O'Williams? What does she sound like? (Worst $7.99 I ever spent)

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Nirvana, in 2004.

Then in 2005, I discovered HIM, Nightwish, Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil all on the same day, and it was a gamechanger.

As I said previously, seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show was life transforming. As for metal, my cousin discovered the first Sabbath album shortly after its release and was like "you gotta hear this shit!". He was right, I did need to hear it.
  • Like 2

Van Halen and David Lee Roth - but weirdly, not when they were together. In 1988, DLR had released Just Like Paradise and Van Halen released When It`s Love. I liked the guitars in both - although it was Eddie`s solo (imagine if I`d heard Mean Street!) and DLR`s video that really stuck with me. I realised through the old pre-internet way of looking in record stores and Kerrang magazine that they were once together. Imagine not knowing! And that was that. and I guess you never forget your first love :wub:
  • Like 1

Either Saxon or Rainbow. Or a mixture of both on the old UK tv show 'Top of the Pops'.

Infamous for most of the bands miming to the music. But I guess there are many music shows around the world where that happens (maybe?).

• Like 2