What Was The First Band To Get you Into Rock/Metal/Etc?

I recall that my grandparents had my mom's original 45rpm of Elvis' Teddy Bear and my sisters and I played that over and over when we visited. At home I think it would have to be the Beach Boys, probably the song 409.

I'm pleasantly surprised at all the KISS. I think they've had a much larger and more tangible impact than perhaps self-proclaimed Rock "elitists" (assuming they exist) would like to give them credit for. Personally, it wasn't so much any particular band that got me into rock, but more classic rock radio and guitar hero along with learning the blues scale on sax and discovering how many rock songs use it. However, my Dad's favorite band had been KISS back in the day, so I decided they were my favorite band too...until I heard Bohemian Rhpasody. Then it was Queen and KISS, then I heard Rush... KISS fell out if the favorite band picture pretty quick, especially after I tacked Muse up there as well. Will always have respect and love for them though.
  • Like 4

When I was a really little kid(single digits)I was into the Beatles. I wasn't really into music much though or at least not in a super big way(not until later). Then after getting into pop music(top forty)I eventually discovered rock and got into Led Zeppelin. Then I got into Yes. From there I rediscovered Rush through my brother's friend and also got into early Genesis, Pink Floyd and this band some of you might have heard of called King Crimson. Those who don't know King Crimson need to check them out(especially the older stuff).

I don't really like KISS at all but one cannot deny their cultural impact on the 70's.

I don't take them seriously. I consider them a fun band. Not one of my favorites but I suppose they scratch a certain itch every now and then.

After watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, I knew music was going to be an important part of my life. But after hearing The Rolling Stones, Satisfaction( I Can't Get No ), I was hooked big time and dove head first into music. I took guitar lesson and bought as many 45's as possible. My sister was 7 years older and was listening to The Byrds, Moody Blues and Jefferson Airplane.
  • Like 4

Growing up, my Dad listened to The Beatles, Status Quo, Suzi Quatro, John Denver and other country and 1960's music(usually on compilation albums).

We also watched Top Of The Pops, so heard top 40 music. When I was old enough to appreciate music for myself, I listened to Punk, Ska and other music that was around in late 1970's to early 1980's. This included Madness, Adam & The Ants, Specials, Sex Pistols, Undertones, Queen, Meatloaf and many others.

The 1st music I bought for myself would be The Specials - Too Much, Too Young. 1st album would be Prince Charming - Adam & The Ants. From here I listened to, and bought some Dire Straits albums, then heard Leader Of The Pack by Twisted Sister on (I think) The tube. I went out and bought the album - Come Out And Play, and then bought all their other available albums. Around this time, Europe & Bon Jovi became big in the UK and I started listening to this style of music. I bought all the Europe albums, and many others by smaller bands/artists.

Within time, a friend gave me a cassette containing Kill 'Em All and a Ratt album. I listened to this cassette and immediately taped over it as it wasn't what I listened to.

So, It isn't straight forward what got me into rock/metal, apart from the fact that I listened to a lot of different music.

• Like 1

The first YES album . My elder sister was a big Prog fan .

I was 12 at the time, and I would take a cassette copy of the album with me to the park, sit alone on a hill, and listen to it over and over again.

First album I bought was Piledriver by Status Quo.

First concert was a year later1974( Deep Purple).

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 3

Aerosmith. they were my first favorite band when i was very young. my mom would always play Just Push Play when she took my sister and i to swimming class.
  • Like 1

As far as heavy rock, Zeppelin's Black Dog changed everything for me. Nugent, Queen and Kiss followed. Judas Priest, Krokus and the mighty AC/DC turned things up a notch. Then Iron Maiden's Killers album was released... :haz:
  • Like 1

Rush!

It was 1979...Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings. Then Permanent Waves came out.

I had never heard the term 'prog rock' at that point- and I wouldn't hear it for the first time until I was in high school. Rush was just rock and roll, to me. I loved it!

Next band after that was Van Halen, for me- about 1983. But my interest in them was comparatively very short-lived.

Anyway, yeah...that was the start.

• Like 4

Rush!

Van Halen...

Anyway, yeah...that was the start.

How did I skip these two? :LOL:

Archives and the VH debut were played over and over.

• Like 1

Rock/Metal/Etc? That's a very open ended question!

Rock music in general? The Beatles

Metal? Probably Kiss and Black Sabbath. When I think about it, most likely Van Halen, specifically the debut album.

Etc? I need a bit more detail to provide a detailed response.

• Like 3

I'd have to say Quiet Riot. Summer of 1983, I went absolutely mental over "Cum On Feel the Noize." My mom bought me the 45rpm, which I repeatedly played on my Fisher Price record player. I had to watch the entire video each time it aired on MTV. One night I heard my parents up late making popcorn and I could hear the video playing on the TV, and I threw an absolute temper tantrum until they allowed me to run downstairs and catch the end of it.

I was six years old. I became a metalhead at six years old. I've never actually sat down and appreciated this until now.

Quiet Riot for me too. Metal Health may be the first album that I ever bought. But it wasn't too long before I heard All The World's A Stage for the first time and probably never played the Quiet Riot album ever again because there was too much Rush to listen to and so little time.

• Like 2