Rush burns us again

tullfan

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:12 PM)
Some of you need to grow the f**k up.

"You don't like the setlist?!? MOM HE DOESN'T LIKE THE SETLIST!!"

Seriously. A bunch of f***ing ten year olds.

LOL

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 10 2012, 04:53 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:12 PM)
Some of you need to grow the f**k up.

"You don't like the setlist?!? MOM HE DOESN'T LIKE THE SETLIST!!"

Seriously. A bunch of f***ing ten year olds.

LOL

X 1,000,000!!!

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

What a waste of time this thread is.

Oops...I just added to it.

I like that we get most of the new album to keep the setlist fresh. Happy for Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams. I will enjoy the show. It is not my dream setlist, which would include some frequently requested classics, but I'm okay with it on two levels.

1. Hoping that this may be their desire to represent these songs well in a live set (DVD???) and will not be a sign of future setlists.

2. After slagging this era, they wanted to give it an updated sound.

I hope they do an R40 tour with some of my longtime wishes, but even if they decide that they love the 80s stuff again, I'll still enjoy it.

Really would like:

2112 side 1, if they can't fix sound from T4E Toronto show

Hemispheres side 1 (but not holding much hope)

Xanadu in full

Jacob's Ladder (just because it's been so long)

La Villa Strangiato with acoustic intro and no fooling around

Different Strings or Cinderella Man or A Farwell to Kings

Have not checked out the live video, but am happy for the multiple drum solos. For years I've thought it would be more exciting to build short drum solos into the songs/set rather than doing one 8 minute solo.

Edited by Grover

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

It's unfortunate for you that you haven't been able to grow with the band. You have unrealistic expectations my friend trink39.gif

Admittedly I haven't read every post here and this thread is probably not even worth responding to but I'm always surprised at the absolute mythology that Rush was big in the 70s. Some old fans (and I'm not exactly young) act like they were Led Zeppelin or The Who in the 70s. It's just not true. They were still opening some shows as late as the AFTK tour and the headline shows they did do were not large arenas and that was their 5th album (6th if you count ATWAS).

They didn't even break into the black financially until around 1980 even though they were doing hundreds of shows a year and had released 7 studio albums. Like most major bands they had a couple breakthrough albums that got people interested in the older stuff after the fact. The popularity of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures caused a surge in older record sales and many of those didn't even get their certifications until around 1981. They really didn't even headline arenas until 1981.

It's no wonder that from the band's perspective they don't exactly remember the 70s tours as the peak of their career. Driving to hundreds of gigs a year in an old car opening for Foghat in front of 2 or 3 thousand people is probably what they remember.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 10:55 AM)
Admittedly I haven't read every post here and this thread is probably not even worth responding to but I'm always surprised at the absolute mythology that Rush was big in the 70s. Some old fans (and I'm not exactly young) act like they were Led Zeppelin or The Who in the 70s. It's just not true. They were still opening some shows as late as the AFTK tour and the headline shows they did do were not large arenas and that was their 5th album (6th if you count ATWAS).

They didn't even break into the black financially until around 1980 even though they were doing hundreds of shows a year and had released 7 studio albums. Like most major bands they had a couple breakthrough albums that got people interested in the older stuff after the fact. The popularity of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures caused a surge in older record sales and many of those didn't even get their certifications until around 1981. They really didn't even headline arenas until 1981.

It's no wonder that from the band's perspective they don't exactly remember the 70s tours as the peak of their career. Driving to hundreds of gigs a year in an old car opening for Foghat in front of 2 or 3 thousand people is probably what they remember.

goodpost.gif Thanks for dropping knowledge brotha trink39.gif

2.gif

PS: Bristow kicked major ass

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 9 2012, 04:58 PM)
It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

hey I resemble that remark!!! Other than Bravado, Manhattan Project and Red Sector A, I'm stoked. Permanent Waves and MP have had plenty of exposure over the last few tours and the synth era practically ignored. For a guy that sees every tour multiple times, this will be a nice change of pace.

Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

There's no whining when it comes to 2.gif Enjoy them while you can why because there's NOT a damn thing you can do about it and they won't be touring forever.

Life's way TOO short to be whining like this...*Come on Man and Man up*

I can't wait for Tampa, Tampa, Tampa it'll be #47

Peace

Edited by g under p

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 9 2012, 06:58 PM)

Honestly, sincerely PLEASE go f**k yourself.

It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

You know what's embarrassing ? A middle aged gay male Rush fan that has to remind Everyone that he is gay. You are a bitter , angry little queen that brings Nothing to this board except nasty , angry post's. Please go back under the bridge you came from . The O.P. , who i Don't agree with has an opinion , look it up.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 10 2012, 11:27 AM)

How embarrassing

You know what's embarrassing ? A middle aged gay male Rush fan that has to remind Everyone that he is gay. You are a bitter , angry little queen that brings Nothing to this board except nasty , angry post's. Please go back under the bridge you came from . The O.P. , who i Don't agree with has an opinion , look it up.

Hey Metaldad--did you know the band actually played funky dwarves in a comic bit? You were the coolest one BTW. Did you go to NH or are you waiting for another city?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 10:55 AM)
I'm always surprised at the absolute mythology that Rush was big in the 70s. Some old fans (and I'm not exactly young) act like they were Led Zeppelin or The Who in the 70s. It's just not true. They were still opening some shows as late as the AFTK tour and the headline shows they did do were not large arenas and that was their 5th album (6th if you count ATWAS).

Mass appeal is one thing. They were bigger and better (on so many different levels) than the Who and Led Zep in MY mind- which is what matters the most.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 07:51 PM)
Maybe if you'd sit down and give them a chance instead of orgasming to Tom Sawyer for the x1000000th time you'd realize that. Stubborn dinosaur...

z7shysterical.gif

I'm an old b@stard who loves the PeW through P/G period better than any other, but that was pretty damn funny.

I think this recent interview question and answer with Geddy is quite telling. I'm not sure people appreciate how difficult it is to do what they do night in and night out. I believe it's reasonable to expect them to pick songs that they enjoy playing AND that might be, at least, a little easier on Ged's voice.

Your first concert for the upcoming tour is Sept. 7 in Manchester, N.H. Is touring easier these days?

Easier? I find it more stressful than when I was younger. I think the physical part of it takes its toll on me, and the other guys I know for sure. Staying healthy becomes a more difficult challenge, and as the tour winds on, nerves fray in a different way than they used to. Although, you have more confidence than when you were younger, and more command of your instrument [and], as a result, more command of your audience's attention, which makes it easier. There is kind of a physical price you pay as the tour winds on, whereas when I was younger I could be in almost any condition, get out there and bang it off. I'm grateful for the audiences that we have, wherever we go. But it's a difficult thing for me to do right now.

If they played all the 70's stuff we ALL would love to hear them play Ged's voice would probably be shot by show #10.

Edited by Chief2112

QUOTE (callmejim @ Sep 10 2012, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:07 PM)
This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological. It's the way we are raised. Do you know how many people kill themselves over all this? Do you know how many people buy guns to execute people like this? How do you think adults feel who have lost their children to suicide or gun violence feel looking at this stuff on the Internet. The things we say to each other. Wild animals don't even do this to their prey. We are so cruel to one another. Does anyone know what it feels like to burry a child whose committed suicide or has been killed for bullying. These things happen. People kill each other for these reasons. This is all in our minds. Chemicals in our bodies are released when we feel the need to put people down. Thats what makes us feel the high we feel when drama starts. There is such a thing as blocking each other and reporting this stuff to Facebook. We aren't in middle school anymore. How would we feel if our kids were going through this. It's sad when people feel the need to put others down. Someone who can post a picture like this has a right too. If others are offended by it block them. Going back and forth saying all this unnecessary bull makes everyone look bad. Then when someone kills themselves everyone wipes their hands clean and don't want to deal with the law. If any of you were to be found dead these people who are being cruel are found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and not only that, but two families loose their children. Do you really want to put the women who brought you into this world through that? Some people don't even have moms or families. Some people have cancer or homeless and even worse like in unbearable situations like war and poverty like in third world countries. I just can't fathom how we can say such cruel things back and forth. It's unbelievable how ungrateful we are that we have all the things we have. We are all beautiful in our own ways and no one has the right to judge. You don't know what everyone wakes up too and falls asleep too. This whole thing has been blown out of control and I already reported it and the police have been notified. And names have been recorded and they Are locating your where abouts as of right now. This is a serious matter

"This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological."

Yes. Why some people have to stoop to insulting others really seems weird, this wouldn't happen in real life unless it was supposed to end in a fight.

I could say I wouldn't expect such talk from Rush fans on a Rush fan site but I was wrong before and got insulted for it.

Good on you EV, glad to see that someone has a voice of reason.

trink39.gif

http://t.fireden.net/t/fireden.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Billy-Herrington-e8.jpg.jpeg

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 10 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (callmejim @ Sep 10 2012, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:07 PM)
This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological. It's the way we are raised. Do you know how many people kill themselves over all this? Do you know how many people buy guns to execute people like this? How do you think adults feel who have lost their children to suicide or gun violence feel looking at this stuff on the Internet. The things we say to each other. Wild animals don't even do this to their prey. We are so cruel to one another. Does anyone know what it feels like to burry a child whose committed suicide or has been killed for bullying. These things happen. People kill each other for these reasons. This is all in our minds. Chemicals in our bodies are released when we feel the need to put people down. Thats what makes us feel the high we feel when drama starts. There is such a thing as blocking each other and reporting this stuff to Facebook. We aren't in middle school anymore. How would we feel if our kids were going through this. It's sad when people feel the need to put others down. Someone who can post a picture like this has a right too. If others are offended by it block them. Going back and forth saying all this unnecessary bull makes everyone look bad. Then when someone kills themselves everyone wipes their hands clean and don't want to deal with the law. If any of you were to be found dead these people who are being cruel are found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and not only that, but two families loose their children. Do you really want to put the women who brought you into this world through that? Some people don't even have moms or families. Some people have cancer or homeless and even worse like in unbearable situations like war and poverty like in third world countries. I just can't fathom how we can say such cruel things back and forth. It's unbelievable how ungrateful we are that we have all the things we have. We are all beautiful in our own ways and no one has the right to judge. You don't know what everyone wakes up too and falls asleep too. This whole thing has been blown out of control and I already reported it and the police have been notified. And names have been recorded and they Are locating your where abouts as of right now. This is a serious matter

"This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological."

Yes. Why some people have to stoop to insulting others really seems weird, this wouldn't happen in real life unless it was supposed to end in a fight.

I could say I wouldn't expect such talk from Rush fans on a Rush fan site but I was wrong before and got insulted for it.

Good on you EV, glad to see that someone has a voice of reason.

trink39.gif

http://t.fireden.net/t/fireden.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Billy-Herrington-e8.jpg.jpeg

From the bay area, are you, Mr IsNot?

QUOTE (Chief2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 12:16 PM)
I think this recent interview question and answer with Geddy is quite telling. I'm not sure people appreciate how difficult it is to do what they do night in and night out. I believe it's reasonable to expect them to pick songs that they enjoy playing AND that might be, at least, a little easier on Ged's voice.

Your first concert for the upcoming tour is Sept. 7 in Manchester, N.H. Is touring easier these days?
Easier? I find it more stressful than when I was younger. I think the physical part of it takes its toll on me, and the other guys I know for sure. Staying healthy becomes a more difficult challenge, and as the tour winds on, nerves fray in a different way than they used to. Although, you have more confidence than when you were younger, and more command of your instrument [and], as a result, more command of your audience's attention, which makes it easier. There is kind of a physical price you pay as the tour winds on, whereas when I was younger I could be in almost any condition, get out there and bang it off. I'm grateful for the audiences that we have, wherever we go. But it's a difficult thing for me to do right now.

If they played all the 70's stuff we ALL would love to hear them play Ged's voice would probably be shot by show #10.

goodpost.gif

As much as I'd love to hear some of the 70's classics, there's just no way that's going to happen. At least not in a major way. Maybe in the future they'll drop in part of Xanadu or the Hemispheres prelude or part of By-Tor, but I wouldn't count on more than one of those in a setlist. I think these new setlists make that pretty clear.

So if you're dreaming for all of Hemispheres or 2112, that'll probably have to remain a dream. At least we have the DS version of 2112. (and some people even bitch about that)

As far as an R40 tour, that may also stay "stranded in dreamland." The quote above gives a clear indication of the physical toll touring takes on them...and Ged has also said recently that he expects to take a few years off after wrapping this tour, which will extend well into next year. I don't see any way they come back for an R40 in 2014. I'd give it a less than 10% chance.

Besides, they've always refused to tour unless they have something new to play...even if it's cover tunes. They don't want to be seen as one of these pathetic old bands playing 40 year old tunes in a casino somewhere. So do you really think they'll wrap up the CA tour next year, then head back to the studio to record something new and turn around to go back out on the road? Maybe if they were all 30, but not now.

I say quit yer bitchin', enjoy a fantastic new album and great tour while you have the chance to do it...because if they do take a few years off and reconvene as they're all approaching 65, they may still decide to make some new music, but they may also decide that they've had enough of the touring grind.

Sorry...didn't mean to go on so long. (stepping off soapbox now)

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 10 2012, 11:27 AM)

How embarrassing

How can you complain about a RUSH concert in 2012? Did anybody think in 1985 that RUSH would still be touring in 2012?

27 years later?

What a bunch of spoiled brats you people are......

Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

According to a poll here, the vast majority of people signed up on this site are HAPPY with the setlist

So to say "Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear" is just stupid.

Rush doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending, so get over yourself.

Edited by Analog_Bro

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 05:40 AM)
But to be circumspect, the fact that theyre still touring, and playing at such a high level is something all Rush fans should be grateful for.

This is how I feel. Initially, I was very down on the Time Machine Tour set-list, in fact, on paper I still find it underwhelming. BUT, when I experienced the actual concert I was blown away. They played with intensity and passion. They wanted to play those songs and they had fun, in turn, I had fun. As a fan you sometimes have to trust the artist even if it's not up to your personal fantasies or expectations.