Rush burns us again

tullfan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 07:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

If you're that butthurt dont go!

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

f**k you. You're REALLY f***ing selfish!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 9 2012, 08:02 PM)
All their material has equal relevance even if you don't like a certain album or period. I've heard the 70s era ad nauseum. I like that era mind you but the 80s had some good material as well.

I see no reason why they shouldn't concentrate on the 80s when they've spent a good deal concentrating on the 70s.

I would have liked more 70s, but I love the 80s songs they chose. You make a valid point. They played stuff they haven't in a LONG while and that's a good thing.

I too am an old guy that first listened to RUSH in middle school, which had to be 1976-77. I loved the early blues-based stuff and everything after that.

I would love to see By-Tor and Hemispheres and all the great old stuff, that's what I was praying for on this tour. But as the setlist unfolded I was literally giddy during the first set (except for Far Cry AGAIN). Those 80's tunes have grown on me over the years and although they were pretty synth heavy, in my mind they actually possess some of the tightest bass by Ged and incredible drum arrangements. HYF being the highlight of this period to me.

ANyway, the setlist is never perfect for me either, but I am so happy to be a fan and one of the 'in crowd' that still follows them. Of course CA is amazing and their best since HYF or MP/PW for that matter.

Can't wait to see them!

You know, if you don't like it don't go. There are obviously quite a few people who would like to go. If you already bought a ticket, put it on stub hub or try to sell it at the venue.

With 20 studio album, including one that they are promoting, there is a wealth of material to choose from. They have mixed it up nicely IMO over the last decade. Thank God they are still touring.

I am an old fart who sat through 7 out of 8 tunes from PoW, 6 out of 10 tunes on HYF, etc... New album means new tunes. Whatever they pick to fill the rest is good with me. They spoiled us a bit with R30 and TM and S&A for that matter. This tour excites me for two reasons. CA and the songs I haven't heard in a while. The least exciting part for me is going to be the last 3 songs. I'm still excited to see it though.

I was afraid that HYF would be the last time I saw Rush because there was a rumor that Alex was unhappy and threatening to call it a day. Ditto 1997. I thought they were done and Different Stages would be the last album. I am in my forties and still anticipating a tour while listening to a new album.

Play whatever you want Rush. I won't complain. If you want to, go ahead. I will take your seat.

Rant over...

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 9 2012, 08:46 PM)
You know, if you don't like it don't go. There are obviously quite a few people who would like to go. If you already bought a ticket, put it on stub hub or try to sell it at the venue.

With 20 studio album, including one that they are promoting, there is a wealth of material to choose from. They have mixed it up nicely IMO over the last decade. Thank God they are still touring.

I am an old fart who sat through 7 out of 8 tunes from PoW, 6 out of 10 tunes on HYF, etc... New album means new tunes. Whatever they pick to fill the rest is good with me. They spoiled us a bit with R30 and TM and S&A for that matter. This tour excites me for two reasons. CA and the songs I haven't heard in a while. The least exciting part for me is going to be the last 3 songs. I'm still excited to see it though.

I was afraid that HYF would be the last time I saw Rush because there was a rumor that Alex was unhappy and threatening to call it a day. Ditto 1997. I thought they were done and Different Stages would be the last album. I am in my forties and still anticipating a tour while listening to a new album.

Play whatever you want Rush. I won't complain. If you want to, go ahead. I will take your seat.

Rant over...

Bravo

Rant over...

You forgot the rantoff.gif

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 9 2012, 08:50 PM)

Rant over...

You forgot the rantoff.gif

Ah, sorry about that. Sometimes it gets turned on automatically and I forget to mention that it is in gear.

I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show.

Christ-in-a-side-car, they've played lots of stuff from the 1970s on pretty much every tour. This time they decided to mix it up and give the synth era its due after only minimally representing it for the last 20 years, while also dropping most staples. It's not the strongest collection of live songs, but I still think it's awesome that they did something so unexpected.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 07:04 PM)
there's nothing you can do about it dude. geddy's voice can't go anywhere near the high pitch from years ago. they want to continue touring so the only way to do that is by creating a setlist like the one they have now. eh.gif

I know you don't like the set but you're spot on here.

It amazes me that there are still fans that don't realize Geddy can't sing the 70s material anymore. This is nothing new, they said goodbye to the bulk of their 70s material by the time the mid 80s rolled around. Some people really need to get with the f*ckin program already, how the hell can you be that oblivious?

QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 9 2012, 06:25 PM)
TL,DR wall of text.

I'm an "old guy" and I love the setlist.

I'm an old guy and I think the setlist is fcuking sinful. Just a slap in the face to those who were faithful to them during their rise. The new music bores me to tears, but would've been willing to tolerate it for having 50% of the setlist comprised of pre-'93 gems.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 9 2012, 06:25 PM)
TL,DR wall of text.

I'm an "old guy" and I love the setlist.

I'm an old guy and I think the setlist is fcuking sinful. Just a slap in the face to those who were faithful to them during their rise. The new music bores me to tears, but would've been willing to tolerate it for having 50% of the setlist comprised of pre-'93 gems.

i'm a young guy, and it's f***ing awesome.

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 9 2012, 07:58 PM)

Honestly, sincerely PLEASE go f**k yourself.

It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

Not a good response from you, eshine. Especially that first sentence. No reason to personally attack the guy just because he posted an unpopular opinion.

QUOTE (briremo @ Sep 9 2012, 09:54 PM)

Its something missing in almost all the later material...it's called space.

Yes. Bloody exactly. When everything wasnt layered with 1,000 things and there was rest/space even in a driving rock song. It sounded like 3 musicians sounding like four, not 3 musicians sounding like 49.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 9 2012, 09:22 PM)

f**k you. You're REALLY f***ing selfish!

D3, see my above response to eshine. That applies to you, too.

OK, Ill say it, Im the biggest Rush fan here. Yes I am, dont even try it. I like all the albums in one way or another. And Im here to tell you, its possible to criticize the setlist as not being good without getting lambasted. You think Bravado is just as good as hearing La Villa, Natural Science or Limelight. More power to you. But I think people, real Rush fans, can say the setlist sucks.

Rant on pause smile.gif

i really dont get u guys who complain about what they play. Cmon their rush,after almost 40 years of playing together ,giving us the most outstanding music, u cant expect them to play everything everyone likes.Lets b grateful their still playing,puting out great new music. i think its a great setlist, and i cant wait to see their wesern canadian swing.Lets not complain, and embress what is the best band ever,after all this could very well be their last tour,and then what are you going to complain about