RIP Mary Weinrib, Geddy's mom, 95

laughedatbytime

Geddy Lee's mother Mary Weinrib passed away this past Friday, July 2nd just a few weeks shy of her 96th birthday. Her funeral was held yesterday at Bathurst Lawn Memorial Park in Toronto. Rush fans got to know Mary through her appearance in the 2010 documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, and - most recently - her appearance on Dave and Virginia Grohl's From Cradle to Stage docu-series just last month, where she described her incredible Holocaust survival story. From her obituary:

... Manya (Malka) Rubinstein was born in 1925 in Warsaw and grew up in Wierzbnik, a Jewish shtetl that was part of Starachowice, Poland, which was occupied by the Germans beginning in 1939. Mary endured the labor camp at the munition's factory in Starachowice and the concentration camps at Auschwitz, where she met and fell in love with her husband Morris Weinrib, and at Bergen-Belsen, where she was finally liberated in April 1945. Reunited and married in 1946, Mary and Morris emigrated to Canada. After her husband Morris's sudden death in 1965, Mary was left with three young children and a variety store that her husband had owned and managed. Mary was determined to learn the business; and, against the advice of well-meaning friends, she took over managing their store in Newmarket, and she successfully ran the business until she retired. People were drawn to her zest for life, her sense of humor, and her compassion and generous spirit. There's a customer for everything, Mary would say, and if you couldn't find it at Times Square Discount, you didn't need it. Preparing family meals at Rosh Hashanah and Passover was a large-scale labor of love for Mary, who cherished her family above all; and after full days running the store, Mary would cook and bake over several nights, making everybody's favorite dishes and desserts. The mother of Rush bass player and lead singer Geddy Lee, Mary was an early supporter and a fixture at Rush concerts. When the first Rush album was released, Mary plastered the windows of her store with Rush posters and gave albums away to any kids who wanted them but didn't have the money to buy them. Among the longest living Holocaust survivors, Mary lived to see her family grow and prosper. ...

In the above-mentioned From Cradle to Stage episode, Dave Grohl is discussing his conversation with Geddy and his Mom, and her incredible Holocaust survival story, and says the following:

... It was funny for me to sit with Geddy and his Mom because ... he changed my life. Rush really changed my life. I loved music. I loved singing in the car to AM radio. But I never *listened* to the drums until I heard Rush. As we were sitting with Geddy and his Mom, I was thinking ... if it weren't for her I might not be a drummer ...

Our condolences go out to Geddy and the rest of Mary's family and friends. The family is asking for donations in Mary Weinrib's honor may be made to the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies at this location. Rest in peace Mary.

From rushisaband.com

RIP

:rose:

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 6

I feel sad for Geddy! Losing a Mom is probably the hardest thing for a son to endure. No one will ever love you more than your Mother. My Mom passed in 1989 and I miss he everyday so I can empithize

. I am happy for Mary because she is on her way home to be reunited with all those that left before her! Her long lived toil has concluded in this place and she now belongs in the great beyond. Safe journeys Mary rest in peace. Shalom...

<>< :angel: :rose: :angel: <><

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 7

I just watched the episode of From Cradle To Stage featuring Geddy and Mary a couple weeks ago. I had known that she and her husband survived the Holocaust, but I never knew their whole story. It's incredible the determination and endurance she had (and the patience to raise an aspiring prog rock bass player, not an easy task!) At the end of the episode was footage of Geddy and Mary going out for a weekly meal and shopping trip in their hometown, Geddy telling Mary jokes in Yiddish. His siblings were practically glowing talking about it.

Rest in peace.

• Like 7

Geddy's mother gave an oral history audio interview in 2006 (that relates to this article here), which was later donated to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

The audio interview was posted online in late 2019, which can be heard here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 5

Very sorry to hear this.

My sincere condolences go out to Geddy and family.

RIP Mary.

• Like 4

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm glad she got to enjoy so many years with her family. I just have so much respect and admiration for her. RIP, Mary. May your family find peace and comfort with each other and the memories.
  • Like 6

Hers was an extraordinary story of courage, will, and love. Of good humor despite experiencing the darkest event in world history. Even though I never knew her, it is clear she was a beautiful human being and the world is worse for her loss.
  • Like 5

:( I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences to her family and friends. :rose:
  • Like 3

The fact that Mary lived a full 95 years, despite all the world threw at her, bears witness to how much chutzpah propelled her through this often chaotic realm. It might have helped if her son decided to become a doctor, or something respectable, but what can you do?

Hopefully Geddy steps into the breach to take up hamantashen duties.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. What over a year, and a half Geddy, and his family have gone through. Even though it might be expected by some people, it's still a terrible loss to endure. She will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, to Geddy, and the rest of the family, and friends. R.I.P., Mary.
  • Like 4

. I am happy for Mary because she is on her way home to be reunited with all those that left before her! Her long lived toil has concluded in this place and she now belongs in the great beyond. Safe journeys Mary rest in peace. Shalom...

<>< :angel: :rose: :angel: <><

I would have written, basically, this exact post. I couldn't word it better. Thank you, Mary, for being Geddy's Mom, and brining into this world all that you did!

• Like 2

My heart breaks for Geddy and his family. My favorite episode on From Cradle to Stage was the episode with Geddy and Mary, she seemed like a very smart woman and a great storyteller. RIP Mary. :( My condolences. Edited by Leanne
  • Like 7

It must have been... well, there are no words to describe what she would have gone through in WWII. To have been through that, make a life in Canada, to then seeing everything Geddy has achieved must have been incredible. RIP.
  • Like 9

It must have been... well, there are no words to describe what she would have gone through in WWII. To have been through that, make a life in Canada, to then seeing everything Geddy has achieved must have been incredible. RIP.

Not to mention losing her husband and then having the raise three children by herself.

• Like 3

Reminds us what the Nazis actually did manage to deprive mankind of, to think of all the great scholars, musicians and sportspeople etc we never got to see. RIP indeed
  • Like 3

So very sad to hear this. She was a remarkable woman who went through hell and found a way to make a new life in a new country. Then to have to raise 3 children on her own when she became a widow. Then she took over the family business (in a time where women would not have been encouraged to do so) and made a success of it.

I am thinking of the documentary VH1 did of Geddy around 2015 I think. There is a segment at the beginning of the piece where she shares how Geddy noodled around on the piano after his sister's lesson. Here is the link to the video, it starts around 1:45 to 2:21 with Mary retelling her memory of the incident. https://www.youtube....h?v=d4dXlg39RIg She nurtured his talent in a way many parents wouldn't, we owe her so much for that.

RIP :rose:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 7