RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

My thoughts as I'm re-listening to the whole Van Halen catalogue, which I posted also on Facebook: if booze, heat and cheap ladies' perfume had a sound, this would be IT!!!! At least for the first six albums. With Sammy it was more like soda, spring and high end fashion...but still great. I even rediscovered some gems like Fools, Dirty Movies, Light Up the Sky. Aftershock, Cabo Wabo...so much brilliance, and what a smile!!!!
  • Like 2

I admire Eddie Van Halen's musical talent that he shared with the world.

However a minor pet peeve I had was when he did an interview with Billboard in 2015 here that didn't go well.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Another interesting interview I read discussed that Eddie really resented the fact that the rest of VH weren't as musically dedicated as he was. Ed would work ALL DAY. The other guys would come in for a few hours and then leave to go back with their families.

It's not like the members of Van Halen could show up anytime of the day at the 5150 studio when Eddie wasn't around to work on their musical parts.

Also the 5150 studio belonged to Eddie primarily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQLGRJxMOA

Edited by RushFanForever

Why does even Happy Trails hit different now...dang. Also I've been underrating Diver Down for years, severely.

"Happy Trails" has had more, than one meaning to it including can be seen as a metaphor for life. "Diver Down" has been another classic, and part of Van Halen's c.d., and album studio releases.

• Like 2

It was such a beautiful morning here; sunny and warm. I had to run an errand and had so much fun BLASTING the first VH album with the windows down; it was great! :) What a debut!

Mr. blues is a chemistry teacher and has always really liked the "Hot For Teacher" video ( :LOL:) supposedly because the winner of the beauty contest is Miss Chemistry! He is teaching online this semester and thought (very) briefly about posting the video as a tribute to chemistry and Eddie but of course his sensible side had to prevail, he's not ready to retire yet!

Thank you, Eddie, for everything. You will be deeply missed. :rose:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 9

However a minor pet peeve I had was when he did an interview with Billboard in 2015 here that didn't go well.

Yeah and his brother is no better and maybe worse. I love those first 4 records and have grown to like DD more over time. No denying EVH's influence on rock guitar and I put VH I into my own very special category of hard rock albums - where nothing is the same after its' release. But personally I'm not busted up over this.

Rereading that interview now - and I like Chuck Klosterman - he's not one to really make stuff up.

Regarding Michael Anthony, it seems Ed is saying he had to show Mike the parts in the sense of how they should fit with Ed's own playing.

Ed's not saying that he taught Mike how to play bass, but where the bass notes should sit within the song. Ed with guitar, Mike with his bass-videotaping that process.

Another interesting interview I read discussed that Eddie really resented the fact that the rest of VH weren't as musically dedicated as he was. Ed would work ALL DAY. The other guys would come in for a few hours and then leave to go back with their families.

Didn't Chuck Klosterman rank all of the Van Halen songs and put Why Can't This Be Love at the bottom of the list?

Yes that list is horrible - but at least he was honest.

• Like 1

Yeah and his brother is no better and maybe worse. I love those first 4 records and have grown to like DD more over time. No denying EVH's influence on rock guitar and I put VH I into my own very special category of hard rock albums - where nothing is the same after its' release. But personally I'm not busted up over this.

Rereading that interview now - and I like Chuck Klosterman - he's not one to really make stuff up.

Regarding Michael Anthony, it seems Ed is saying he had to show Mike the parts in the sense of how they should fit with Ed's own playing.

Ed's not saying that he taught Mike how to play bass, but where the bass notes should sit within the song. Ed with guitar, Mike with his bass-videotaping that process.

Didn't Chuck Klosterman rank all of the Van Halen songs and put Why Can't This Be Love at the bottom of the list?

Yep, just read a similar list on The Guardian website - of the "essential" 10, the only one anyone who knew the band would include is Unchained.

Michael Schenker has paid tribute to Eddie Van Halen, who passed away on Tuesday (October 6) at the age of 65. The legendary VAN HALEN guitarist died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and VAN HALEN drummer.

Schenker wrote on social media: "Hi Eddie,

"You were the BEST of our generation. I am so sorry you have gone.

My condolences to your loved ones.

"I miss you, but like my partner said to me: 'You have gone to a better place.'

"Rest In Peace, my friend!

"I will always remember and treasure when we met in Germany in the late '70's when I came with the SCORPIONS to see your show. Can't never forget the lovely times we spend together in your dressing room.

"My highest respect for your incredible guitar playing, sound, melodies, your sense of rhythm, your amazing entertaining abilities and everything else. You were a complete, fantastic, all round amazing guitarist.

"God bless you and keep you in good care."

• Like 3

Here's something I stumbled upon in relation posted a few months ago.

The Day Alex Van Halen Joined the Rock Band “Rush”

I'm really thankful that particular piece of fanfiction didn't go in the awkward direction it seemed to be heading.

In January of 99 I had an audition with a Utah musician named Rich Wyman. He was a Billy Joel style piano player and had somehow managed to get EVH to produce his record. He never caught on in America but this particular record got a little bit of traction in the Netherlands. I was auditioning for the promo tour he was doing there. I could tell the guy walking out when I was walking in already had the gig though. This was one of the songs I auditioned with..

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

:rose:

Cat Stevens: "Sad to hear Eddie Van Halen has passed away. A guitar innovator with a fierce spirit of musical and technical exploration. Prayers and thoughts with his family and friends."

Flea: "Oh man. Damn. I love you Eddie Van Halen. A true rocker, a deep musician, a HUGE heart, an LA boy through and through. A bold innovator and the undisputed king of all wheedlers. What a sound!!! I hope you jam with Jimi tonight and soar freely through the cosmos. A vibrant part of music has left this earth. Broken through to the other side. What a sweetheart, my brother. All love and condolences to your family."

Tom Keifer: "Our son was 6 yrs old the first time he heard Eddie Van Halen. He looked at Savannah & me and asked... “Does he need two picks to play like that?” There are great guitarists... & there are innovators that change everything. Condolences to his family."

Charlie Benante: “So much love for Eddie Van Halen. Can’t believe this f***ing year I often said that He was the One that revolutionized guitar playing. He was so percussive and his mistakes sound correct (though he never made one). Our heroes are all leaving and I hate it!"

Dave Lombardo: "Rest In Peace, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen . Icon, innovator, virtuoso. There will never be another like you."

Tom Morello: "Rest In Peace, EVH. One of the greatest, most inventive, truly visionary musicians of all time. An unparalleled titan in the annals of rock n roll. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for every spectacular note."

Brian Wilson: "I just heard about Eddie Van Halen and I feel terrible about it. Eddie was such a great guitarist and I remember how big Van Halen was, especially here in L.A. Love and Mercy to Eddie’s family & friends."

Vivian Campbell: "I distinctly remember the first moment I heard Eddie play. A good friend, also a guitarist, had just bought the first Van Halen album and came by my house and told me that I urgently needed to hear this. He wasn't wrong; it was a moment that redefined everything that I thought was possible about playing the guitar. The goalposts had just been moved. I stayed up all that night trying to learn from Eddie. Many, many decades later, and I'm still learning from Eddie."

Paul Stanley: "Oh NO! Speechless. A trailblazer and someone who always gave everything to his music. A good soul. I remember first seeing him playing at the Starwood in 1976 and he WAS Eddie Van Halen. So shocked and sad. My condolences to Wolfie and the family."

Gene Simmons: "My heart is broken. Eddie was not only a Guitar God, but a genuinely beautiful soul. Rest in peace, Eddie!"

Tony Iommi: "I’m just devastated to hear the news of the passing of my dear friend Eddie Van Halen. He fought a long and hard battle with his cancer right to the very end. Eddie was one of a very special kind of person, a really great friend. Rest In Peace my dear friend till we meet again."

Geezer Butler: "Just when I thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, I hear Eddie Van Halen has passed. So shocking. One of the nicest, down to Earth men I have ever met and toured with. A true gent and true genius. RIP. So sad.Thoughts go out to his brother Alex, and his family."

Angus Young: "Eddie was a guitar wonder, his playing pure wizardry. To the world of music he was a special gift. To those of us fortunate enough to have met him, a special person. He lives a big hole in a lot of hearts. To the Van Halen family my heartfelt sympathies."

Sammy Hagar: "Heartbroken and speechless. My love to the family."

David Lee Roth: "What a Long Great Trip It’s Been."

:rose:

• Like 6

Yep, just read a similar list on The Guardian website - of the "essential" 10, the only one anyone who knew the band would include is Unchained.

There's no essential 10, just buy the first 6 albums and you're covered. And then throw in 5150 and f**k just in case.

• Like 2

There's no essential 10, just buy the first 6 albums and you're covered. And then throw in 5150 and f**k just in case.

There`s the essential six records and then isolated guitar tracks for everything until A Different Kind of Truth.
  • Like 2

Although my introduction to Eddie was the same as a lot of guys about my age (a friend's older brother had the debut album and my friend played me Eruption one afternoon after school), the moment that has always stayed with me the most was the summer that Fair Warning came out. I remember thinking the first time I heard the intro to Mean Street on the radio, "How the f*ck is he doing that?"
  • Like 1