RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Neil didn't abuse his health as much as Eddie. Ok, he loved cigarettes and whiskey, but he did that in his spare time, and at one point he cut back on those. Also, Neil exercised a lot at some point, cycling his way between gigs. Eddie used coke and alcohol for the longest time, and even smoked crack in the early 2000's. He was fortunate to come back from it with the help of his son Wolfie, and that bond between them made me admire him even more. But my point is that he had a lot more destructive choices than Neil.
  • Like 2

Wasn't fortunate enough to see him with Dave, but saw him with Van Hagar. Very dynamic player. Of course he played eruption. Ugh 2020 can suck a butt.
  • Like 1

Mark Kennedy and Meskin Fedaku, AP, from Eddie's obituary:

... Eddie Van Halen fueled the ultimate California party band and helped knock disco off the charts... "

Truer words were never spoken or written. For that alone, I raise my glass :cheers: .

Ave atque vale; Hail and farewell. Rest easy, sir!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Just finished Women And Children First. Hadn’t listened through it in a long while and, well... it’s gotta be my favorite. I know a lot of hardcore fans gravitate towards Fair Warning, and probably more people cite the debut as their best, but for me Women And Children First has a magical atmosphere, the beautiful right alongside the harsh, the silly right next to the serious, and all of it just totally underplayed by the radio. In A Simple Rhyme might have to make my top ten Van Halen songs now...

It's basically live in the studio, which is why it's so vibrant.

• Like 3

I listened to Fair Warning this morning. What a fine album.

It is no lower than my second favorite studio album of all time.

Can I ask what your first is?

Eddie was pretty good on the keyboard too.

Brilliant actually.

I know many here do not like 1984, but I think that little intro to Jump is beautiful.

I love the keyboards in this song. It comes in a close second to my favorite keyboard song which is I’ll Wait :)

• Like 1

Feel really deflated today. So many pivotal events of my life have a VH soundtrack - almost every rite of passage. Like a lot of you guys might be with Rush or Queen or whoever, they were my band. Every ex- will have thought of me when they heard EVH had gone, as will everyone at my various workplaces... on the face of it, nothing has changed, but everything has changed. I often listen to Rush and don`t think of Neil`s death, but I often do too. I guess it`ll be the same with VH, eventually. Hell, I still smiled when I listened to Eddie this morning. Just with teary eyes.
  • Like 2

I admire Eddie Van Halen's musical talent that he shared with the world.

However a minor pet peeve I had was when he did an interview with Billboard in 2015 here that didn't go well.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Yeah and his brother is no better and maybe worse. I love those first 4 records and have grown to like DD more over time. No denying EVH's influence on rock guitar and I put VH I into my own very special category of hard rock albums - where nothing is the same after its' release. But personally I'm not busted up over this.

Why does even Happy Trails hit different now...dang. Also I've been underrating Diver Down for years, severely.
  • Like 3

Why does even Happy Trails hit different now...dang. Also I've been underrating Diver Down for years, severely.

To be fair the record company was rushing them to put the record out so lots of covers. But it is good isnt it :)

Diver Down is one of the most underrated albums ever IMO
  • Like 2

However a minor pet peeve I had was when he did an interview with Billboard in 2015 here that didn't go well.

Yeah and his brother is no better and maybe worse. I love those first 4 records and have grown to like DD more over time. No denying EVH's influence on rock guitar and I put VH I into my own very special category of hard rock albums - where nothing is the same after its' release. But personally I'm not busted up over this.

Rereading that interview now - and I like Chuck Klosterman - he's not one to really make stuff up.

Regarding Michael Anthony, it seems Ed is saying he had to show Mike the parts in the sense of how they should fit with Ed's own playing.

Ed's not saying that he taught Mike how to play bass, but where the bass notes should sit within the song. Ed with guitar, Mike with his bass-videotaping that process.

Another interesting interview I read discussed that Eddie really resented the fact that the rest of VH weren't as musically dedicated as he was. Ed would work ALL DAY. The other guys would come in for a few hours and then leave to go back with their families.

Edited by chemistry1973

Rereading that interview now - and I like Chuck Klosterman - he's not one to really make stuff up.

Regarding Michael Anthony, it seems Ed is saying he had to show Mike the parts in the sense of how they should fit with Ed's own playing.

Ed's not saying that he taught Mike how to play bass, but where the bass notes should sit within the song. Ed with guitar, Mike with his bass-videotaping that process.

Another interesting interview I read discussed that Eddie really resented the fact that the rest of VH weren't as musically dedicated as he was. Ed would work ALL DAY. The other guys would come in for a few hours and then leave to go back with their families.

Didn't Chuck Klosterman rank all of the Van Halen songs and put Why Can't This Be Love at the bottom of the list?
  • Like 1

I bought the first album the day it was released. I was at Sam the Recordman in downtown Toronto for my weekly Saturday visit. One of the guys in there recommended this new band from California. Van Halen?? WTF kind of name is that? I took it home along with his other recommendation The Babys. Needless to say the VH album was much better LOL. I still remember listening to it the first time and being absolutely BLOWN F'ING AWAY!! What were those sounds??!! Right up there in the conversation of best debut lp ever. Very sad though not surprised that Eddie died. This is a major loss for the music world. 2020 just keeps rolling on. Can we fast forward?
  • Like 1