RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Eddie has always been one of my favorite guitarists and I've been a huge Van Halen fan since high school. I'm still in shock and feel numb. This is going to sting for a long time.

Here is a tweet from Dave's twitter

https://twitter.com/...640283364417536

For those of you that have Sirius XM, channel 27 is a Van Halen tribute channel

What follows Dave's tweet is a long string of tweets from a who's-who of rock legends, all paying tribute to Eddie. So sobering. The ones from Steve Vai are especially touching.

Thanks for pointing that out.

And of course...

Sebastian Bach

@sebastianbach

·

7h

Eddie Van Halen and Neil Peart were just too good for 2020.

We all are

My heart is broken

Wow.

120728148_10221647364870784_6939106025795386468_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=H7Hlf1cbjQMAX_gWzF2&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&tp=6&oh=34a702c4fd78e16e6c8d1767e5492249&oe=5FA33634

Classic.

Isn't it? Leave it to Pete.

Pete being Pete. Value his presence on this earth, and the Stones, and Paul and Ringo, these guys wont live forever...

I'm 66 years old. You don't have to tell me that.

I kind of meant we should join together and do so.. I wasn't telling you what to do lol...

Edited by lerxt1990

Eddie was pretty good on the keyboard too.

Brilliant actually.

I know many here do not like 1984, but I think that little intro to Jump is beautiful.

I’m in music theory III in college this semester, and honestly I think Eddie’s training as a classical pianist when he was young taught him a lot about all the different ways to play around chords and different progressions that were possible. A lot of the magic that comes out in his guitar playing might come originally from his piano playing, with his own magic touch of course.

• Like 3

Brilliant actually.

I know many here do not like 1984, but I think that little intro to Jump is beautiful.

http://youtu.be/c0mN7rvgb-4

I’m in music theory III in college this semester, and honestly I think Eddie’s training as a classical pianist when he was young taught him a lot about all the different ways to play around chords and different progressions that were possible. A lot of the magic that comes out in his guitar playing might come originally from his piano playing, with his own magic touch of course.

I think in an interview I watched a few years ago he said that he couldn't read music and knew nothing about music theory.

The man was a natural. As I said, we won't be seeing the likes of him again for a very long time.

• Like 1

Brilliant actually.

I think in an interview I watched a few years ago he said that he couldn't read music and knew nothing about music theory.

The man was a natural. As I said, we won't be seeing the likes of him again for a very long time.

I know I’ve read somewhere that he took years of piano lessons as a kid, so I’m not sure he was being quite honest about not being able to read sheet music. Perhaps he couldn’t read it for guitar, or maybe in all those years of lessons he figured things out mostly by ear (though I don’t know what kind of piano teacher would allow their student to not learn how to read sheet music for piano). I believe him when he says he knew nothing about theory, but only insofar as he thinks he knows nothing about it. Most rock musicians never study it, yet 99 times out of 100 they wind up playing and writing in accordance with at least some of the “rules” of theory. It just comes naturally to them to do many of the things that are taught in theory. When I say Eddie played like he learned a lot of things about theory from playing piano, I mean that his ear latched on to lots of musical ideas which are taught in theory and he liked the way they sounded so that’s what he started playing. I don’t mean he ever sat down and read a music theory book (let me tell you, they’re pretty dense). Like you said, he was just a natural. Not that he didn’t have to work to get so good, but his mind and ears were made to do that work at the level he did.

• Like 1

This is so sad. I still remember the first time I heard VH on the radio and got goosebumps. RIP, Eddie. :rose: You were one of a kind, especially your talent.

I remember the first time I heard Van Halen... the 4th of July carnival in '79. Jamie's Crying was blasting out of one of the rides. I had to figure out who it was, so I walked up to the first long haired dude I saw. "Who is this?" I got a funny look and "Its Van Halen, dude" from him. Definitely a time marker for our generation. They were the yardstick rock records were measured by in high school. Thanks for decades of enjoyment, EVH.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: Salute!

• Like 4

Brilliant actually.

I don't think we will ever see the likes of him again. Can't see anyone coming along who will change the face of rock guitar like he did.

• Like 3

Imagine the jam session Eddie's having with Neil, John Entwistle and Keith Emerson right now. Chris Squire, John Bonham and Jon Lord are waiting their turns. Jimi looking on approvingly.

Holdsworth getting the beers in.:)

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 4

2020 is a terrible year for me, in a different way (sorta)

When this year started, I had a severe ear infection that had tons of fluid in it. It's healed now, but I can still hear a lil fluid.

I also suffered severe depression with suicidal thoughts, mainly due to stress, deaths, and tons of slander IRL.

I lost a hero (Neil Peart), a parakeet that passed away on Superbowl Sunday, and a loved one in the beginning of March.

Then coronavirus came. And that's how far we go there.

I went to a therapist, that helped somewhat with my mood... but...

I also suffer quite a lot of stress nowadays, and some aging problems. And then I lost my favorite musician ever, and I feel very depressed about this. I just hope that I can feel better soon.

Hang on in there mate :) . Keep writing on here if anything. It'll likely help.

• Like 2

When this year started, I had a severe ear infection that had tons of fluid in it. It's healed now, but I can still hear a lil fluid.

I also suffered severe depression with suicidal thoughts, mainly due to stress, deaths, and tons of slander IRL.

I lost a hero (Neil Peart), a parakeet that passed away on Superbowl Sunday, and a loved one in the beginning of March.

I also suffer quite a lot of stress nowadays, and some aging problems. And then I lost my favorite musician ever, and I feel very depressed about this. I just hope that I can feel better soon.

Always remember hi_water._ that you have a bunch of slightly deranged friends here on TRF to back you up! Some banter, the odd laugh and participation in your crazy polls!!!
  • Like 4

It's strange that Dave hasn't said anything yet...Sammy posted about it already.

Could just be shock and just not wanting to deal with the inevitable, terrible acceptance of it all.

:rose:

This is yet another day of sadness and joy. Really. Even my ex wife sent me a vert sweet message from Valerie with a picture of Eddie and baby Wolfgang.

I am watching SportsCenter ESPN but it's in the background as I type on here.

Even they are using Van Halen songs during the Laker highlights.

I just heard "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" and "Poundcake" references.

I am sooooooo glad I saw KISS and David Lee Roth Band in March before Covid. Incredible double bill.

I saw my girlfriend tonight for dinner and when I took her home I cranked "Fair Warning" and "Van Halen II" on my way home.

I'm about an hour away from her home.

I was sober. I don't drink and drive, but my windows were down and my stereo was blasting to the peak of sound.

Wind in my hair. Going 80 mph listening to Van Halen. Dangerous and selfish perhaps, but it was so fuckingg refreshing. I felt 18 again.

VAN HALEN FLUCKKING RULES! You have all dealt with me on here for 14 years with my love and passion for this band. ROTH YEARS!!

I remember recently some forum member posted something on here that really pissed me off and it wasn't his opinion.

I can't remember and if I did I wouldn't mention the name anyway.

OMG, the guy on ESPN just mentioned ERUPTION as James was driving to the basket.

So the member wrote that someone said that "Eddie is just a one trick pony."

Everyone has an opinion, but I sure as hell don't have to agree with it. You know I love to argue and "Go For The Throat." Wait that's Y&T.

Anyone on the planet who thinks that Eddie was a "one trick pony" is a fuckking moron.

Anyone on here who thinks that Eddie Van Halen is a "one trick pony" let's go for it. I will debate you. I will fuckking win.

EDDIE VAN HALEN RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GREATEST GUITAR PLAYER ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH!!!!

I was talking to my dad today about Eddie.

He's 83 years young.

I have taken my dad to see Van Hagar twice and Van Halen twice with Wolfie.

MY DAD LOVES VAN HALEN!!!!!!!

Even my dad is sad. But then I was thinking how lucky I am!!! My mom and dad are still healthy and alive!!! Even they are watching all this sadness!

I am so blessed and lucky. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the Universe, God, the Stars, you name it that I still have my parents!!!

I have a 1983 double dvd VAN HALEN video. "Diver Down" Tour. Going to watch it now.

"BOTTOMS UP!"

• Like 1

Always remember hi_water._ that you have a bunch of slightly deranged friends here on TRF to back you up! Some banter, the odd laugh and participation in your crazy polls!!!

Yeah Hi Water!

I will back you.

I've been on here for 14 years. I've seen it all. I've done it all. The majority of people here are amazing and incredible!!! I love so many on here.

However there are always the rotten apples. The fuckking Trolls. People used to call me a Troll. LOL!!! I will always challenge the idiots on here and I always WIN!

Don't let anyone bully you on here. Remember, this Forum is really fun and GOOD!

There are always weeds on a beautiful lawn. I remove the weeds and keep the grass very green.

• Like 2

Eddie Van Halen and Eric Johnson both have something in common.

They both learned classical piano before switching to guitar.

However Eddie also learned drums before switching to guitar as well, just like Joe Satriani had did as well.

The two-handed taping, which was one of the things Van Halen became known for, is a technique used prior by jazz guitarists such as Tal Farlow and George Van Eps.

However Van Halen made the guitar sound unique in a tonal way that became known as the 'brown sound'. The sound was meant to emulate what Alex's drums were.

On a side note, I'm sure we all wonder what's the secret to living a long happy and healthy prosperous life.

As RUSHHEAD666 noted about Neil a few months ago, is that he was a smoker like Eddie Van Halen was, and they both survived until their 60's.

Smoking does cause cancer, but then again there's other things that can as well.

You can be healthy and die young and be unhealthy and live until 100.

• Like 3

Eddie Van Halen and Eric Johnson both have something in common.

They both learned classical piano before switching to guitar.

However Eddie also learned drums before switching to guitar as well, just like Joe Satriani had did as well.

The two-handed taping, which was one of the things Van Halen became known for, is a technique used prior by jazz guitarists such as Tal Farlow and George Van Eps.

However Van Halen made the guitar sound unique in a tonal way that became known as the 'brown sound'. The sound was meant to emulate what Alex's drums were.

On a side note, I'm sure we all wonder what's the secret to living a long happy and healthy prosperous life.

As RUSHHEAD666 noted about Neil a few months ago, is that he was a smoker like Eddie Van Halen was, and they both survived until their 60's.

Smoking does cause cancer, but then again there's other things that can as well.

You can be healthy and die young and be unhealthy and live until 100.

You can certainly do things in terms of lifestyle to improve your chances, but ultimately when your time is up then you will be called.

I just wish the clock would slow down a wee bit at the minute - too many good people going.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1