RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Listened to three Sammy albums today and the other one last night, for all but 5150 it was my first in-depth listen, and for OU812 it was just my first.

Loved it all. Two different kinds of magic between the two different singers, but both magic.

• Like 3

Eddie Van Halen and Eric Johnson both have something in common.

They both learned classical piano before switching to guitar.

However Eddie also learned drums before switching to guitar as well, just like Joe Satriani had did as well.

The two-handed taping, which was one of the things Van Halen became known for, is a technique used prior by jazz guitarists such as Tal Farlow and George Van Eps.

However Van Halen made the guitar sound unique in a tonal way that became known as the 'brown sound'. The sound was meant to emulate what Alex's drums were.

On a side note, I'm sure we all wonder what's the secret to living a long happy and healthy prosperous life.

As RUSHHEAD666 noted about Neil a few months ago, is that he was a smoker like Eddie Van Halen was, and they both survived until their 60's.

Smoking does cause cancer, but then again there's other things that can as well.

You can be healthy and die young and be unhealthy and live until 100.

Hey RFF!!! Thank you for bringing that up here about the smoking thing. Everyone has their "Freewill" to do what they want to their bodies! Cigarette smoking has really bothered me since I was a little boy.

Luckily I was never around it and I never will be!!!

As for the smoking thing. When I fell in love with Rush in 1981 I remember buying every magazine I could with any article pertaining to RUSH. I remember seeing a picture of Neil in I think it was a KERRANG! magazine and it was a black and white photo of Neil holding a cigarette behind his kit. I was totally mortified!!!!! STUNNED!!!! I was always in fear of Neil getting lung cancer or something like that even back then.

Of course it also bugged when I was go to a Van Halen show and see Eddie smoking on stage and putting his cigarette on the neck of his guitar. That worried me too.

Now I'm am nothing special. I'm not a doctor or a rocket scientist. But it makes common sense when you smoke cigarettes it's going to increase you chances in cancer and eventually to an early death.

I am very sad. But we all saw this coming with Eddie. So sad. I don't know if you guys read what Valerie wrote on here Twitter account. It's heartbreaking and touching.

• Like 2