RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Photos posted by Alex Van Halen this morning- :( :( What great hair little Eddie has! (Edited because Eddie is the little one. Thanks, Rod!)

oV5tW4n.png bT1OW1x.png

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Photos posted by Alex Van Halen this morning- :( :( What great hair little Alex has!

oV5tW4n.png bT1OW1x.png

It's actually Eddie with the longer hair!

I thought that looked more like him, and the other one more like Alex. Bad reposting!:LOL: I will fix it! Thank you.

Interview with Eddie. He mentions how he helped Allan Holdsworth out, to get a major record deal. Allan yielded sort of - he really didn't wan to go commercial. Eddie helped him all the same. What a superb person and player Eddie was to do that kind gesture! What a player! They were great friends by all accounts. Great interview with Eddie;

• Like 3

I had a quick listen to OU812 today and I was wondering why Eddie's guitar tone and overall sound changed in the Van Hagar era. There's too many effects, it totally washed out his guitar sound and changed it. I think it's mainly overuse of chorus effects. Another thing I realised was that OU812 sounds like a Supergroup album. It's like a precursor to Chickenfoot. Maybe this why I never totally enjoyed the Van Hagar-era, it sounded like a side project and maybe deep down Hagar was thinking, if this doesn't work out I can always go back to my solo career, and the Van Halens were thinking we can always get Dave back if it all goes tits up. It didn't sound like a totally commited project by the OU812 phase. Edited by treeduck

I had a quick listen to OU812 today and I was wondering why Eddie's guitar tone and overall sound changed in the Van Hagar era. There's too many effects, it totally washed out his guitar sound and changed it. I think it's mainly overuse of chorus effects. Another thing I realised was that OU812 sounds like a Supergroup album. It's like a precursor to Chickenfoot. Maybe this why I never totally enjoyed the Van Hagar-era, it sounded like a side project and maybe deep down Hagar was thinking, if this doesn't work out I can always go back to my solo career, and the Van Halens were thinking we can always get Dave back if it all goes tits up. It didn't sound like a totally commited project by the OU812 phase.

Good catch on the change in his tone. Eddie changed guitar techs in 87/88, and the quality of his gear changed to a more professional/ polished sound. That's why there's a shift in his sound after that.

• Like 1

I had a quick listen to OU812 today and I was wondering why Eddie's guitar tone and overall sound changed in the Van Hagar era. There's too many effects, it totally washed out his guitar sound and changed it. I think it's mainly overuse of chorus effects. Another thing I realised was that OU812 sounds like a Supergroup album. It's like a precursor to Chickenfoot. Maybe this why I never totally enjoyed the Van Hagar-era, it sounded like a side project and maybe deep down Hagar was thinking, if this doesn't work out I can always go back to my solo career, and the Van Halens were thinking we can always get Dave back if it all goes tits up. It didn't sound like a totally commited project by the OU812 phase.

Good catch on the change in his tone. Eddie changed guitar techs in 87/88, and the quality of his gear changed to a more professional/ polished sound. That's why there's a shift in his sound after that.

I was listening on youtube. I still have my vinyl from 1988 but I don't own a CD copy. I'll have to get one, even though I've just been bitching about it.

• Like 1

I was listening on youtube. I still have my vinyl from 1988 but I don't own a CD copy. I'll have to get one, even though I've just been bitching about it.

I took a listen to Ou812 recently. I think the tone is still there, but buried in reverb and some effects.

You can hear it in Naturally Wired and Source of Infection.

But the mix is WAY out of whack. All the guts removed - all edges smoothed out. All radio friendly.

So I blame the engineer - perhaps EVH changed amps, but I don't think that happened until after F.U.C.K.

• Like 1

I took a listen to Ou812 recently. I think the tone is still there, but buried in reverb and some effects.

But the mix is WAY out of whack. All the guts removed - all edges smoothed out. All radio friendly.

So I blame the engineer - perhaps EVH changed amps, but I don't think that happened until after F.U.C.K.

It was Don Landee. Ted Templeman went with Dave for Eat 'Em and Smile and then by Skyscraper and OU812 era he was producing Bulletboys and Honeymoon Suite.

• Like 1

OU812 was recorded in a hurry. I think they were taking their time to hone the songs for the album, and suddenly they got an offer to play at the Monsters of Rock with the Scorpions, Metallica and Kingdom Come, and the record company demanded that they put it out before that short tour. I think it's the last album to truly feature the brown sound, and after that he started using the Peavey Wolfgang. Awesome guitar, but a different ball game altogether.

My favorite from OU812, on a kick ass version here, with Eddie sporting a "where's Waldo" shirt, Sammy in spandex and everyone firing on all cylinders:

• Like 2

OU812 was recorded in a hurry. I think they were taking their time to hone the songs for the album, and suddenly they got an offer to play at the Monsters of Rock with the Scorpions, Metallica and Kingdom Come, and the record company demanded that they put it out before that short tour. I think it's the last album to truly feature the brown sound, and after that he started using the Peavey Wolfgang. Awesome guitar, but a different ball game altogether.

My favorite from OU812, on a kick ass version here, with Eddie sporting a "where's Waldo" shirt, Sammy in spandex and everyone firing on all cylinders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQCqwz6itI

Band is tight as a drum in this era. Just killer. Maybe too tight.

It was also my first concert.

32 years ago. almost to the day. Hartford Civic Center, 1988. With Private Life!

• Like 1

It was Don Landee. Ted Templeman went with Dave for Eat 'Em and Smile and then by Skyscraper and OU812 era he was producing Bulletboys and Honeymoon Suite.

It kinda sounds like Presto production-wise, doesn't it?

It kinda sounds like Presto production-wise, doesn't it?

Well it definitely sounds weak especially the guitars lost in the swirl of effects. The vocals and drums are high in the mix but the bass is non-existent.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQCqwz6itI

Band is tight as a drum in this era. Just killer. Maybe too tight.

It was also my first concert.

32 years ago. almost to the day. Hartford Civic Center, 1988. With Private Life!

For a while I was wondering why Sammy looks weird these days, I think it's his nose, it seems to grown to twice the size in the last 20 years.