RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

David Crosby Twitter Post

Besides blues and rock & roll, Jimi Hendrix was influenced by jazz music.

I've never seen Eddie Van Halen mention jazz musician as an influence, unless maybe it was his father as noted here.

This is probably why Crosby appreciates Hendrix more.

David Crosby: Crosby, Coltrane & Miles

Edited by RushFanForever

I've never seen Eddie Van Halen mention jazz musician as an influence, unless maybe it was his father as noted here.

I think Crosby’s opinion of EVH. Is a perfect example of how he was viewed by that generation when the first album came out. The 60s guys just didn’t get the over the top hard rock style of Van Halen.

David Crosby -

“You had to be there maaaaannn...”

I wasn’t “there” at those Pasadena backyard parties, but EVH still transcended that.

Hendrix died far too young because he did too many of those cool drugs - never had a chance to develop his sound - he had to die to reach so many.

Hendrix was an innovator - great live performer. Loved his voice.

But EVH connected to a HUGE generation of guitar players.

And EVHs records actually sounded good.

Edited by chemistry1973

Wow. What a dick.

Disappointing. He could’ve easily just said....nothing.

This one reply gave me a laugh:

"No one comes close to Jimi after all these decades. Alvin Lee got overlooked but was really up there. van Halen didn't do anything for music, art, or much of anything."

Just in case you were wondering if Twitter was a cesspool or not.

• Like 3

Despite seemingly being in polar opposites of the music spectrum, EVH and Cros traveled in the same circles in the late 70s, early 80s.

Ted Templeman was the main connection between the two.

Nicolette Larson, a close friend of Crosby’s, sang on Could This Be Magic. And Edward played on her “Nicolette” album.

I wonder if perhaps there were some jealous feelings stoked in those days. EVH hot young guitarist. David Crosby washed up hung over fat dope.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 3

Despite seemingly being in polar opposites of the music spectrum, EVH and Cros traveled in the same circles in the late 70s, early 80s.

Nicolette Larson, a close friend of Crosby’s, sang on Could This Be Magic. And Edward played on her “Nicolette” album.

I wonder if perhaps there were some jealous feelings stoked in those days. EVH hot young guitarist. David Crosby washed up hung over fat dope.

David Crosby has a long rich history of being an opinionated prick. That's all there is to it.

• Like 2

Steve Stevens

@Stevestevens

When I’m asked to cover a song, very rarely do I stick to the absolute original. In the case of Poundcake I tried to honor EVH as closely as possible. Regardless of some boo boo’s in learning this, I once again was struck with the genius of EVH

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been put up yet but it's a very cool anecdote from Nancy Wilson had to share it:

We just lost Eddie Van Halen. What do you think Eddie should be remembered for?

“Oh my God. Well, he scared the hell out of every other guitar player on earth," Wilson tells BraveWords. "And he was such an innovator. He invented a whole language of guitar playing, for everyone to try, never to be able to imitate. But also, I feel really honoured that I was able to know him. He was such a sweetheart, and I was able to gift him his first acoustic guitar. I go, ‘What do you mean, you’ve never played acoustic much?’ And he says, ‘Well, I don’t really have one.’ I go, ‘Oh, you have to have an acoustic guitar.’ So I got one of my guitars and I just handed it over to him and said, ‘Now you have an acoustic guitar.’ So early, early the next morning, as the dawn was breaking, and this was, you know, in the ‘80s, my phone in my hotel room rang, and it was Eddie, who called my room. He’d been up all night, partying of course, and he was like, ‘You gotta check this out! I wrote this piece of music on this acoustic guitar.’ And he played it to me over the phone, and I was just barely awake. But it was one of the prettiest pieces of music ever. It had like this melodic, sort of classical and ethereal kind of thing about it. And if I’d been a little more awake, I would’ve forced him to send me a recording of it (laughs). But I’ll never forget that moment. He just made such beautiful language out of his guitar playing.”

• Like 7

Wow. What a dick.

"No one comes close to Jimi after all these decades. Alvin Lee got overlooked but was really up there. van Halen didn't do anything for music, art, or much of anything."

I’ve neither used nor wondered about Twitter

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been put up yet but it's a very cool anecdote from Nancy Wilson had to share it:

“Oh my God. Well, he scared the hell out of every other guitar player on earth," Wilson tells BraveWords. "And he was such an innovator. He invented a whole language of guitar playing, for everyone to try, never to be able to imitate. But also, I feel really honoured that I was able to know him. He was such a sweetheart, and I was able to gift him his first acoustic guitar. I go, ‘What do you mean, you’ve never played acoustic much?’ And he says, ‘Well, I don’t really have one.’ I go, ‘Oh, you have to have an acoustic guitar.’ So I got one of my guitars and I just handed it over to him and said, ‘Now you have an acoustic guitar.’ So early, early the next morning, as the dawn was breaking, and this was, you know, in the ‘80s, my phone in my hotel room rang, and it was Eddie, who called my room. He’d been up all night, partying of course, and he was like, ‘You gotta check this out! I wrote this piece of music on this acoustic guitar.’ And he played it to me over the phone, and I was just barely awake. But it was one of the prettiest pieces of music ever. It had like this melodic, sort of classical and ethereal kind of thing about it. And if I’d been a little more awake, I would’ve forced him to send me a recording of it (laughs). But I’ll never forget that moment. He just made such beautiful language out of his guitar playing.”

Oh my goodness, what a treat of a tribute! I'd never heard that story.

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought...

This is very short but so sweet, I used to watch his ch a lot, I remember when it happened...again, sorry if already up:

http://youtu.be/AhihSrdUvis

Wow. What a dick.

Wow. What a dick.

I used it for 5m a while back but nah, waste of time. I barely even use Facebook now. YT mainly.

David Crosby has a long rich history of being an opinionated prick. That's all there is to it.

I saw that Sony Classics documentary when it hit my local art house theater. He doesn't hold back on Jim Morrison either. No wonder Neil and Graham want nothing to do with him. There's even footage of him being a dick to his bandmates in that new Laurel Canyon documentary on Epix.

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought...

This is very short but so sweet, I used to watch his ch a lot, I remember when it happened...again, sorry if already up:

http://youtu.be/AhihSrdUvis

That is incredible.

A friend just sent me this from Zakk Wylde’s page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQimS3H6h2/?igshid=1t4ye1arsgudz

• Like 1

I remember reading a section in Rolling Stone where he actually liked a song by The Pixies because it didn't have screaming or yelling. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to like anything modern cranked up to 11. No wonder him and Neil Young can't get along. :LOL:

Geddy and Eddie

Eddie and Geddy

In a perfect world, I think

They would've been friends

They could've toured together

And hung out on weekends

Geddy and Eddie

Eddie and Geddy

They were both great musicians

Who were of the same mind

They mastered their instruments

They were two of a kind

Geddy and Eddie

Eddie and Geddy

They ran in similar circles

Never in the same one

They were like oil and vinegar

When all is said and done

Geddy and Eddie

Eddie and Geddy

Maybe in another life

They might play in the same band

It would be so amazing

Like Rafa Nadal's forehand

Geddy and Eddie

Eddie and Geddy

It is useless to dwell on

What will never, ever be

All we can really do is

Remember his legacy

http://www.moviepropcollectors.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/EVHGuitarAuction.jpg

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 1