RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

I've been going on YouTube and pulling up videos of people playing Eruption. A standard line of mine has been that you can go to Guitar Center and find 100 people who can play Eruption, but EVH created Eruption. I was mistaken. Most of that 100 apparently can't quite do it the way EVH did. 42 years later, it's still somewhat rare to find someone who can completely nail it.

The tone is hard to nail for any of Eddie's stuff. It's not just playing the right notes.

I've been going on YouTube and pulling up videos of people playing Eruption. A standard line of mine has been that you can go to Guitar Center and find 100 people who can play Eruption, but EVH created Eruption. I was mistaken. Most of that 100 apparently can't quite do it the way EVH did. 42 years later, it's still somewhat rare to find someone who can completely nail it.

The haven't got ferocious attack, they're just playing the notes, they haven't got the timing, the nuances, the phrasing. Are they really playing Eruption, or just the notes?

• Like 1

BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has explained to Rolling Stone magazine how Eddie Van Halen ended up co-writing the song "Evil Eye" on the band 1994 album "Cross Purposes".

"When we were doing 'Cross Purposes', [VAN HALEN] were playing in Birmingham. Obviously, I went to see him, and we were rehearsing. I said, 'You ought to come down to rehearsal if you want.' 'Oh, can I?' I said, 'I'll pick you up from the hotel.' I said, 'Let's go and get a guitar.' We went down to the music shop in Birmingham. I said, 'Can you lend us a guitar for Eddie?' And of course, they went, 'Oh, oh, wha'?' [Laughs] So Eddie came in with me, and we got one of his guitars, his own model. And he came to rehearsal. We played some of the SABBATH stuff for him. One of his favorites was 'Into The Void', strangely enough. We played that and we went back to writing. I think it was 'Evil Eye', and I said, 'Go on, you play the solo on this.' He did and it was really great. When we recorded it, of course, I tried to duplicate that, but I couldn't. [Laughs]"

Asked if he still has a tape of Eddie's solo somewhere, Tony said: "You know what, there is. I don't know where it is amongst my lot, but there is one. I know I've got one. It was a real gem."

Reflecting on Eddie's impact on music, Tony said: "He's had probably one of the biggest influences that you could have on people, from his generation onwards. He came up with something completely different. How hard is that, to come up with something different guitar-wise? I think he's inspired so many people. There's millions of people out there all trying to do that tapping stuff and play like Eddie and play Eddie's solos. I think he's had a huge impression on millions and millions of guitar players."

Love that, that's brilliant! Two giants in music, in the land of metal.

• Like 1

The silly side of being a Van Halen fan/fanatic: Finding Eddie's childhood home and taking a photograph of it.

People have been gathering there..... :o

iCrlxyZ.jpg

• Like 4

From Pollstar.

As for the possibility of unreleased recordings and future unheard music from the late musician, Azoff says it’s much too early to speculate. “Wolf and Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house, but there’s been a lot of recording over the years,” Azoff says. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

Irving Azoff on Eddie Van Halen: 'Unqualified Genius, Loving Soul'

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

From Pollstar.

As for the possibility of unreleased recordings and future unheard music from the late musician, Azoff says it’s much too early to speculate. “Wolf and Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house, but there’s been a lot of recording over the years,” Azoff says. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

Irving Azoff on Eddie Van Halen: 'Unqualified Genius, Loving Soul'

I think they lost some of the recordings a while ago, but there should be HOURS of material left. I saw a YouTube video which had just the audio o Eddie and Alex jamming at the 5150 studio - from memory, the date was just before 1984 was recorded - and they sounded incredibly tight.

urn-publicid-ap-org-c5b0ec20a121edfe4c4423ed40620b92Obit_Eddie_Van_Halen_74621-780x585.jpg

Eddie and Alex carved this when they were young.

I'm gonna take the Foothill transit and Metro gold line to visit when all this COVID crap is gone. Pasadena is nice especially downtown. I went to Robin Williams' star in Hollywood just after he die.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I went to the music store today. There were no VH t-shirts, posters, books or CDs. I wasn't surprised but still disappointed. I will probably have to order off the VH website. I plan to buy all the magazines that publish Eddie stories in the next few months. Then I'm going to put unframed posters on my walls even though adults aren't supposed to do things like that. But who the hell cares? It's Eddie.
  • Like 3

I don't know if the following point was already made on this thread - Eddie Van Halen was more than a guitarist. He was a composer. Melody and rhythm were up there with the solos and tone.

It really flies under the radar but these words could not be truer.

Not under my radar bub!

c21ec70ec1859f7d02b8da7ccfdb9b1d.gif

Fukkin' Eh! Fukkin' EVH RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

During the Oklahoma vs Texas college football game today, they played a lot of Van Halen going to the commercials.

At my school's football game they picked a few breaks in the action to play the starts of Panama, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, and Jump. My housemate and I in the band were belting along with all three. After a week of no one in my real daily life acknowledging Eddie's passing aside from my housemates it was actually really beautiful to hear Eddie's guitar blasting out of the stadium speakers.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

http://youtu.be/EyfOq6R6HcE

This one makes me cry. It's... it's... beautiful.

I`ve got a lot of time for Humans Being too. Apparently, Sammy wrote lyrics about storms and hurricanes and so on for the soundtrack, so Eddie rewrote them to be a little less on the nose.
  • Like 1

I went to the music store today. There were no VH t-shirts, posters, books or CDs. I wasn't surprised but still disappointed. I will probably have to order off the VH website. I plan to buy all the magazines that publish Eddie stories in the next few months. Then I'm going to put unframed posters on my walls even though adults aren't supposed to do things like that. But who the hell cares? It's Eddie.

They most likely sold out. I bet this happened when Bowie, Prince, Petty et al died. Just like them, the vinyl prices will increase even for used. Mark my words.

• Like 1

Do not go to David Crosby's Twitter page unless you want to ratio him hard. No wonder Graham and Neil want nothing to do with him. He may be right about Kanye but he is so wrong here.

What did he say?

Do not go to David Crosby's Twitter page unless you want to ratio him hard. No wonder Graham and Neil want nothing to do with him. He may be right about Kanye but he is so wrong here.

What did he say?

I can't see anything.

From the Pasadena Weekly

Pasadena’s Eddie Van Halen was every musician’s hero

Testament’s Alex Skolnick had a hard time processing Van Halen’s death.

“This is a tough day, if you play guitar,” said Skolnick, who met Van Halen once. “He was a troubled person. It’s a certain type of genius, like Jaco Pastorius comes to mind—those savant types.”

Like John 5 and Small, Skolnick was influenced by Van Halen. He was introduced to Van Halen when “1984” came out, except he was only on its first album at the time.

“It was just a knockout punch,” he said. “It was like a supersonic jet arriving before the age of aviation. There have been so many losses the last few years. I thought 2016 was bad, losing Prince and David Bowie in a short time. This is like that. We lost (Rush’s) Neil Peart this year.

“This one is for a lot of guitar players, though. It’s like losing a relative. This is one of those where you’re just knocked out and the day is done. It’s a national day of mourning. This is the RBG for guitar players.”