RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

New Rolling Stone cover feature on Eddie Van Halen below.

Eddie Van Halen: The Joy and Pain of Rock's Last Guitar Superhero

From the article:

For Van Halen, there really was only one path left: go back to Roth. They gave it another try around the turn of the century, managing to write and record a few still-unreleased songs that Roth always maintained were fantastic. But legal issues between Roth and the band seem to have gotten in the way, and yet another reunion fizzled.

-

Interesting.

It`s a horrible thought but there did seem to be only one way that we would hear the millions of tapes stored in the 5150 vaults. I would prefer that Eddie was immortal.

• Like 1

I loved this article, but there's one mistake in it: Fair Warning wasn't their first album of 100% original material. It was Women and Children First.

• Like 1

I loved this article, but there's one mistake in it: Fair Warning wasn't their first album of 100% original material. It was Women and Children First.

He screws up the timeline regarding drum kits too.

1984 was Simmons pads with roto toms, acoustic snare and cymbals.

5150 was a Simmons kit with acoustic snare and cymbals.

OU812 was a full acoustic kit with some Simmons gear. (To my knowledge anyway - perhaps the kick is triggered, but those toms are real).

The Simmons pads did some serious tendon damage to Alex after the 5150 tour - that was a Simmons kit. Some acoustic embellishments, but he never touched those aside from the snare and cymbals.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Don't remember exactly where I found this, but I read something like this somewhere:

Eddie said something about some tracks they never released on ADKOT. And he said that when he's gone, Alex and Wolf can do whatever the hell they want with that material.

So we might have an Eddie tribute album coming soon

• Like 1

Don't remember exactly where I found this, but I read something like this somewhere:

Eddie said something about some tracks they never released on ADKOT. And he said that when he's gone, Alex and Wolf can do whatever the hell they want with that material.

Knowing their work ethic, I'd say anything he left behind will only see the light of day if the record company has legal grounds to demand it.

• Like 2

Better run out and get the latest issue:

Inside Valerie Bertinelli’s Bond With Late Ex-Husband Eddie Van Halen

https://www.usmagazi...ddie-van-halen/

Don't mention it. You're welcome.

I was such a VH completist, I bought Valerie`s book "Losing It" years ago. Sure, it was almost completely about her weight trouble but, you know, Ed was mentioned :oops:

Better run out and get the latest issue:

Inside Valerie Bertinelli’s Bond With Late Ex-Husband Eddie Van Halen

https://www.usmagazi...ddie-van-halen/

Don't mention it. You're welcome.

Wolf Van Halen blasted this post from US Magazine. Apparently an old article.

Still interesting though.

Knowing their work ethic, I'd say anything he left behind will only see the light of day if the record company has legal grounds to demand it.

I read this morning that there are a bunch of still-unheard studio tracks.

For one - A different version of Hot for Teacher, with Ed on bass, mimicking the opening guitar solo a la The Roth Band on Shyboy. In fact, that approach on Eat Em and Smile was directly influenced by Ed's attempts on Hot for Teacher.

Ultimately, they removed Ed's bass part from the intro, but LEFT IT IN FOR THE REST OF THE SONG.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-hot-for-teacher-alternate/

So there you have it - Ed plays bass on Hot For Teacher.

• Like 1

For one - A different version of Hot for Teacher, with Ed on bass, mimicking the opening guitar solo a la The Roth Band on Shyboy. In fact, that approach on Eat Em and Smile was directly influenced by Ed's attempts on Hot for Teacher.

Ultimately, they removed Ed's bass part from the intro, but LEFT IT IN FOR THE REST OF THE SONG.

https://ultimateclas...cher-alternate/

That's what it says on the article that goose shared above. And yeah, I think that bass and guitar unisons is something Eddie wanted to do for a long time, and Michael Anthony, as great as he is, could never pull this off. They invited Billy Sheehan a couple of times and he said no because he is friends with Mike...and eventually they did those unisons on A Different Kind of Truth when Wolfe joined the band.

• Like 2

That's what it says on the article that goose shared above. And yeah, I think that bass and guitar unisons is something Eddie wanted to do for a long time, and Michael Anthony, as great as he is, could never pull this off. They invited Billy Sheehan a couple of times and he said no because he is friends with Mike...and eventually they did those unisons on A Different Kind of Truth when Wolfe joined the band.

Which is largely why Chinatown is such an absolute beast - you knew that was what Eddie wanted to do and that in itself made it a joy to hear. But any song that starts lyrically with "Headless body in a topless bar" can`t really go wrong (even if it was just something Dave read in a paper).
  • Like 2

Which is largely why Chinatown is such an absolute beast - you knew that was what Eddie wanted to do and that in itself made it a joy to hear. But any song that starts lyrically with "Headless body in a topless bar" can`t really go wrong (even if it was just something Dave read in a paper).

A lot of what went into Dave's lyrics is stuff that he read, listened to and adapted. The lyrics to Secrets came from a postcard he read. And that doesn't take away his merits as a great lyricist. Miles and miles ahead of Sammy. ":If you want to be a monk, you gotta cook a lot of rice".

• Like 2

A lot of what went into Dave's lyrics is stuff that he read, listened to and adapted. The lyrics to Secrets came from a postcard he read. And that doesn't take away his merits as a great lyricist. Miles and miles ahead of Sammy. ":If you want to be a monk, you gotta cook a lot of rice".

Dave`s voracious appetite for life and culture is evident in songs like Experience, whilst Sammy was wham-bamming it. The talent mismatch between Eddie and Sam really was some chasm by 1995.
  • Like 1

Dave was a singer songwriter first - Pete Seeger, Dylan, show tunes, borscht-belt standup comics... He understood song construction and turns of phrase.

• Like 2

Dave was a singer songwriter first - Pete Seeger, Dylan, show tunes, borscht-belt standup comics... He understood song construction and turns of phrase.

It`s shines through that he is just a really smart guy in whatever field he applies himself to. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

It`s shines through that he is just a really smart guy in whatever field he applies himself to.

It's kind of easy to understand why his relationship was so fraught with the Van Halens. They were from different cultures. Roth understood American humor and irony - and he was a rich kid.

Ed and Alex were poor immigrants who needed music as therapy and an escape from the stresses of being an outsider. Music to them was a protective wall, where to Roth, it was an open door.

This kind of brings us back to the similarities between NP and Edward. Both used music as a barrier - where other members of their respective bands used it as a way to connect.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 2

It`s shines through that he is just a really smart guy in whatever field he applies himself to.

It's kind of easy to understand why his relationship was so fraught with the Van Halens. They were from different cultures. Roth understood American humor and irony - and he was a rich kid.

Ed and Alex were poor immigrants who needed music as therapy and an escape from the stresses of being an outsider. Music to them was a protective wall, where to Roth, it was an open door.

This kind of brings us back to the similarities between NP and Edward. Both used music as a barrier - where other members of their respective bands used it as a way to connect.

It`s a winning blend. Maybe the Canadian temperament was missing in the VH set up, but more likely the VH bros. just had that unbreakable bond, musically and personality-wise formed during their outsider upbringing, whilst DLR was enjoying the relative luxury of family wealth and cultural awareness - his Uncle Manny ran Cafe Wha? in Greenwich village during the 60s - and he experienced these things on a personal, maybe even lonely, level, so allied to ADHD this reduced his need to tolerate things that weren`t working and to seek new challenges constantly.
  • Like 1