RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Dave is absolutely pathetic on their Live in Tokyo album from 2015. Flat out not singing the proper words or anything at all numerous times. Very disrespectful to the band, who killed it on that performance, and to the fans who paid to see them. Eddie and Wolfie sang their asses off on backing vocals so that at least makes up for it a little bit. But even at his age, Dave is still a self absorbed little prick who doesn't care about anyone else.

Some of the songs on Tokyo Dome are unlistenable.

Right now, almost two weeks have passed since Eddie died, and all Dave has done so far is posting 3 pictures with the capture "what a long trip it has been". Not good.

I saw him on some news show talking about painting, did you see that? He looked crazier than ever with his lockdown hair and weird mannerisms that he doesn't seem to realise he has.

• Like 1

DEEP PURPLE guitarist Steve Morse has reflected on the passing of Eddie Van Halen, calling him " one of the most inventive rhythm players" he has ever heard. The legendary VAN HALEN axeman died on October 6 at the age of 65 after a long battle with cancer.

Speaking to Everyone Loves Guitar, Morse said (see video below): "[Eddie] was a mighty guitarist and a mighty songwriter and one of the most inventive rhythm players I've ever heard.

"I luckily got a chance to work with him for a few days," he continued. "We were both endorsing Music Man, and Albert Lee, of course, also was. And we had a band called BIFF BABY'S ALLSTARS, started by Sterling Ball, and some of his brothers were playing and singing in the band originally. And John Ferraro and Jimmy Cox — just great session musicians. So it was just one of these things where you couldn't go wrong, and the feel was gonna be there. The thing is, can you step up and keep up with them? I always enjoyed doing that gig. At that point, I'd played a number of gigs with them and knew what the deal was. But Eddie came in cold, just, like, 'Sure, I'll do it.' And we were doing country, two-step western swing and rockabilly, and then getting on into a lot of rock sections too, where the solos were pretty much just straight rock and roll, and that's where, of course, Eddie blew the doors off the place when he did that stuff. But all the stuff he wasn't as comfortable with, he was very original and inventive with coming up with ways of following the change… Just using his ear — he had great ears.

"So I just wanted to say a few words about how I got to stand next to him and play for a few days and really experience the breadth of his talent," Steve added. "We had a lot in common. We sat and talked a lot during that time. We were almost exactly the same age and both were having our only sons being born months apart.

"It was kind of surreal and very sad to hear of his death.

"I guess the main thing to remember about Van Halen is what he contributed to the worldwide music vocabulary and some very great songwriting too. And, of course, the soloing.

"Eddie, we're sorry you're gone, and everyone feels very sad about it. But you've gotta be proud of the legacy you've given the world and helped redefine the guitar technique library, as well as written some amazing tunes."

Former JOURNEY singer Steve Perry has revealed to Rolling Stone in a new interview that he was invited by Eddie Van Halen for a jam session in 1985 after David Lee Roth left VAN HALEN.

"Man, at some level within me I felt so honored because I was in awe of Eddie's natural talent," Steve said. "He was just born with it. I wanted so badly to do that. We talked about how cool that could be musically. This was before Sammy [Hagar]. The next day, and in the weeks to come, I thought, 'I don't know that I should do that. If it goes creatively to what I know it can go to…' Whatever I could bring to that, I know it would be something I'd really love doing."

He continued: "My only problem I had with it was the thought, 'I don't know that I could be the guy to go out and represent the David Lee Roth years with my voice. I don't know if I want to be that guy.' I think representing their legacy up to that point would have been something vocally that I don't think I was really suited to doing. It's a different kind of singing. David had something vocally that I would say was in kinship with Louis Prima. Later on, he did 'Just A Gigolo' and sounded more like Louis Prima. He was a real character."

• Like 1

Dave is absolutely pathetic on their Live in Tokyo album from 2015. Flat out not singing the proper words or anything at all numerous times. Very disrespectful to the band, who killed it on that performance, and to the fans who paid to see them. Eddie and Wolfie sang their asses off on backing vocals so that at least makes up for it a little bit. But even at his age, Dave is still a self absorbed little prick who doesn't care about anyone else.

Right now, almost two weeks have passed since Eddie died, and all Dave has done so far is posting 3 pictures with the capture "what a long trip it has been". Not good.

I saw him on some news show talking about painting, did you see that? He looked crazier than ever with his lockdown hair and weird mannerisms that he doesn't seem to realise he has.

I saw that...to be fair, that was recorded before Eddie passed away, but how insensitive was the network to air that and not add a statement from Dave related to Eddie's passing? I think they did the complete opposite of being sensitive, and actually tried to capitalize and get more attention to the Roth interview because Eddie died.

With that said, I thought Dave looked ok. He's always been a weirdo to me, even in his heyday. Of course, then it helped that he was "in" with the times, and this super cool dude. Nowadays, although an interesting character who did A LOT of different things through the years, and used his money and fame well in order to fuel his creative pursuits, he looks kinda creepy. Actually, he's looked creepy to me since he went to Vegas in 1994/1995. Check this out:

I saw that...to be fair, that was recorded before Eddie passed away, but how insensitive was the network to air that and not add a statement from Dave related to Eddie's passing? I think they did the complete opposite of being sensitive, and actually tried to capitalize and get more attention to the Roth interview because Eddie died.

With that said, I thought Dave looked ok. He's always been a weirdo to me, even in his heyday. Of course, then it helped that he was "in" with the times, and this super cool dude. Nowadays, although an interesting character who did A LOT of different things through the years, and used his money and fame well in order to fuel his creative pursuits, he looks kinda creepy. Actually, he's looked creepy to me since he went to Vegas in 1994/1995. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oanvleYlcqc

Yeah in the 80's he was cool but at some point he stopped being cool and just came over as weird or at the very least eccentric. It's like he had some weird experience somewhere that changed him, or had one too many coke hits.

Former JOURNEY singer Steve Perry has revealed to Rolling Stone in a new interview that he was invited by Eddie Van Halen for a jam session in 1985 after David Lee Roth left VAN HALEN.

"Man, at some level within me I felt so honored because I was in awe of Eddie's natural talent," Steve said. "He was just born with it. I wanted so badly to do that. We talked about how cool that could be musically. This was before Sammy [Hagar]. The next day, and in the weeks to come, I thought, 'I don't know that I should do that. If it goes creatively to what I know it can go to…' Whatever I could bring to that, I know it would be something I'd really love doing."

He continued: "My only problem I had with it was the thought, 'I don't know that I could be the guy to go out and represent the David Lee Roth years with my voice. I don't know if I want to be that guy.' I think representing their legacy up to that point would have been something vocally that I don't think I was really suited to doing. It's a different kind of singing. David had something vocally that I would say was in kinship with Louis Prima. Later on, he did 'Just A Gigolo' and sounded more like Louis Prima. He was a real character."

Nice to hear from Steve Perry
  • Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oanvleYlcqc

Yeah in the 80's he was cool but at some point he stopped being cool and just came over as weird or at the very least eccentric. It's like he had some weird experience somewhere that changed him, or had one too many coke hits.

I don’t know —- his interviews with Rogan are definitely freewheeling but he’s coherent and intelligent in those.

He’s different - you’d have to be, to be him.

Artists like him, like Iggy Pop or Bowie —these guys are true outliers.

Edited by chemistry1973

EVH:

"I used to work at a music store delivering pianos and organs and one day a Marshall amp comes in and I’d only seen pictures of these, only Eric Clapton and God’s play these! I said I gotta have that amp, and so I worked all summer to buy that amp and we were already too loud as it was and now I had a 100-watt Marshall! It was so dam loud I did everything from facing it backwards to facing it down to the floor … I was just too damn loud! So I saw an ad in the paper for another Marshall amp and thought “maybe this one will be different”, well it certainly was cuz when it showed up I plugged it in and it didn’t work … but, I left it on and what I didn’t realize was this thing was from England and it was 220-volt, and I plugged it in and I didn’t look at the back and see it was set on 220; it took a long time for it to warm up at half voltage, and when I picked up my guitar I was like “it sounds incredible!” … but incredibly quiet. It dawned on me “I could control the volume of the amp with the voltage, so I proceeded to hook it onto the light dimmer of the house, and blew it out and so on. So finally I went to this place called Dial Radio and asked “do you have any kind of like an industrial variable voltage transformer that I can use like a light dimmer” and he said “yea I got this thing called a Variac”, I said “ok cool”, and I take it home and plug the amp into it and I’d lower the voltage from like 110 slowly down to 100 and ... the lowest I ever went was like 60. Depending on the room we were playing I’d set it anywhere between 60 and 100 because the only way the amp sounded good was with everything all the way up, so that became my volume knob. If we were playing little bars I’d set it to like 60 volts; somewhere a little bit bigger I’d crank it to 80 and for recording the sweet spot seemed to be 89-volts."

• Like 4

EVH:

"I used to work at a music store delivering pianos and organs and one day a Marshall amp comes in and I’d only seen pictures of these, only Eric Clapton and God’s play these! I said I gotta have that amp, and so I worked all summer to buy that amp and we were already too loud as it was and now I had a 100-watt Marshall! It was so dam loud I did everything from facing it backwards to facing it down to the floor … I was just too damn loud! So I saw an ad in the paper for another Marshall amp and thought “maybe this one will be different”, well it certainly was cuz when it showed up I plugged it in and it didn’t work … but, I left it on and what I didn’t realize was this thing was from England and it was 220-volt, and I plugged it in and I didn’t look at the back and see it was set on 220; it took a long time for it to warm up at half voltage, and when I picked up my guitar I was like “it sounds incredible!” … but incredibly quiet. It dawned on me “I could control the volume of the amp with the voltage, so I proceeded to hook it onto the light dimmer of the house, and blew it out and so on. So finally I went to this place called Dial Radio and asked “do you have any kind of like an industrial variable voltage transformer that I can use like a light dimmer” and he said “yea I got this thing called a Variac”, I said “ok cool”, and I take it home and plug the amp into it and I’d lower the voltage from like 110 slowly down to 100 and ... the lowest I ever went was like 60. Depending on the room we were playing I’d set it anywhere between 60 and 100 because the only way the amp sounded good was with everything all the way up, so that became my volume knob. If we were playing little bars I’d set it to like 60 volts; somewhere a little bit bigger I’d crank it to 80 and for recording the sweet spot seemed to be 89-volts."

I think that’s from this which I saw last week:

http://youtu.be/yb26D8bBZB8

• Like 2

David Lee Roth is a true original, one of the most entertaining and insightful artists on the planet.

Dave said he lives a very different life outside of music. His dad was an ophthalmologist. Dave met the other VH members at Pasadena College while he was working P/T as a hospital orderly. He is also a state licensed EMT with 200 911 calls under his belt. I knew about his ink painting, too. A lot of performing artists make visual art as well. Marilyn Manson and John Frusciante also paint. Dave had a successful solo career and released 7 albums in addition to his radio broadcasting career. He has probably accomplished more in his many endeavors than any other member of VH, past and present.
  • Like 1

Well, maybe Sammy has accomplished more than Dave. He was in Montrose, Chickenfoot and a few other bands. He also released 18 solo albums.

I guess in terms of what people accomplished, the list is something like this:

1. Sammy Hagar

2. David Lee Roth

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Gary Cherone

4. Michael Anthony

5. Alex Van Halen

Or we could do a poll... :guitar: :NP:

Well, maybe Sammy has accomplished more than Dave. He was in Montrose, Chickenfoot and a few other bands. He also released 18 solo albums.

1. Sammy Hagar

2. David Lee Roth

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Gary Cherone

4. Michael Anthony

5. Alex Van Halen

I would put both Van Halen's near the bottom of the list, in particular Alex because he has never joined another band and it's about Van Halen. He's never jammed with other's either.

Eddie's priority was Van Halen as well, although he partnered with major instrument brands in the past for distribution of his signature gear (guitars and amps), as noted here.

Michael Anthony has released his own brand of hot sauce, along with being a member of Chickenfoot and Sammy Hagar & The Circle.

Gary Cherone has also been a member of Extreme.

Edited by RushFanForever

1. Sammy Hagar

2. David Lee Roth

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Gary Cherone

4. Michael Anthony

5. Alex Van Halen

I would put both Van Halen's near the bottom of the list, in particular Alex because he has never joined another band and it's about Van Halen. He's never jammed with other's either.

Eddie's priority was Van Halen as well, although he partnered with major instrument brands in the past for distribution of his signature gear (guitars and amps), as noted here.

Michael Anthony has released his own brand of hot sauce, along with being a member of Chickenfoot and Sammy Hagar & The Circle.

Gary Cherone has also been a member of Extreme.

I didn't know about Mike's hot sauce. Can you buy it at Walmart?????

David Lee Roth is a true original, one of the most entertaining and insightful artists on the planet.

Dave said he lives a very different life outside of music. His dad was an ophthalmologist. Dave met the other VH members at Pasadena College while he was working P/T as a hospital orderly. He is also a state licensed EMT with 200 911 calls under his belt. I knew about his ink painting, too. A lot of performing artists make visual art as well. Marilyn Manson and John Frusciante also paint. Dave had a successful solo career and released 7 albums in addition to his radio broadcasting career. He has probably accomplished more in his many endeavors than any other member of VH, past and present.

Dave`s Crazy From The Heat is pretty fun to read - it`s awesome that he was out in the Bolivian jungle whilst the Van Halen`s were writing and practising, and the Skyscraper photos were real, even though he admitted being terrified - he`s lived on his terms and lived well. Got a lot of respect for the way he`s followed his own path.
  • Like 1

New Rolling Stone cover feature on Eddie Van Halen below.

Eddie Van Halen: The Joy and Pain of Rock's Last Guitar Superhero

From the article:

For Van Halen, there really was only one path left: go back to Roth. They gave it another try around the turn of the century, managing to write and record a few still-unreleased songs that Roth always maintained were fantastic. But legal issues between Roth and the band seem to have gotten in the way, and yet another reunion fizzled.

-

Interesting.

Edited by chemistry1973