Geddy and Alex on CBS Sunday Morning

Leanne

Lifeson and Lee talk with correspondent Jim Axelrod about their particular blend of musicianship, stagecraft and goofiness; how tragedy upended the band; and what might constitute Rush's next chapter.

**CRINGE**  :wacko:

This is why I never watch any interviews with mainstream news channels.  They ALWAYS drag up the old stories that we've heard a million times.       

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Every one of these interviews feels like they're trying to back Geddy and Alex into a corner to say they're going to tour together as "Rush" again and they're clearly still on the fence about it.

It's what they do, the media.

• Like 2

If there is a RUSH 3.0 we just need to accept reality that it will be different. VH survived without Roth. I never expected anyone other than The Shat to play Captain Kirk. 

RUSH 1.5 will always be real RUSH, we’ll always have the music and concert memories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

If there is a RUSH 3.0 we just need to accept reality that it will be different. VH survived without Roth. I never expected anyone other than The Shat to play Captain Kirk. 

RUSH 1.5 will always be real RUSH, we’ll always have the music and concert memories. 

40 years of touring and releasing 18 wildly successful albums with the same three guys is a little different from a TV series reboot or replacing the singer in a band named for the guitarist and drummer.

Some bands can drop members and add new ones and it's no big deal. Half the Rolling Stones are dead or retired, but no one has any problem calling Mick and Keith the Stones. On the other hand, if Paul and Ringo went on tour as the Beatles, there would be mass outrage and quite possibly some very expensive lawsuits.

Rush is and always will be Dirk, Lerxst and Pratt. That doesn't stop Ged and Al from playing Rush's music, just like Paul McCartney plays Beatles stuff live, or recording new music, but I'll bet a million bucks they won't be doing it under the Rush name.

• Like 6

Big difference between a Rush with new percussionist just playing Rush live and a Rush actually making new music

Strongly held view by most, probably, that Rush cannot exist without one of the three members, each being so essential to the chemistry and until now i shared that view but..

F**k it, why not. Make new stuff too guys. Rush 3.0 bring it on.

12 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

40 years of touring and releasing 18 wildly successful albums with the same three guys is a little different from a TV series reboot or replacing the singer in a band named for the guitarist and drummer.

Some bands can drop members and add new ones and it's no big deal. Half the Rolling Stones are dead or retired, but no one has any problem calling Mick and Keith the Stones. On the other hand, if Paul and Ringo went on tour as the Beatles, there would be mass outrage and quite possibly some very expensive lawsuits.

Rush is and always will be Dirk, Lerxst and Pratt. That doesn't stop Ged and Al from playing Rush's music, just like Paul McCartney plays Beatles stuff live, or recording new music, but I'll bet a million bucks they won't be doing it under the Rush name.

Like I said elsewhere I would prefer Alex and Geddy perform under a different banner. Still, as RUSH existed before Neil joined the band. I could imagine after some time that Alex and Geddy might want to continue what they started. That wouldn’t be such an affront to me that I stay home. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lifeson90 said:

Big difference between a Rush with new percussionist just playing Rush live and a Rush actually making new music

Strongly held view by most, probably, that Rush cannot exist without one of the three members, each being so essential to the chemistry and until now i shared that view but..

F**k it, why not. Make new stuff too guys. Rush 3.0 bring it on.

The big difference when it comes to making new music is that Neil's lyrics were a massive part of the band, probably more essential than the musicianship.  Countless drummers can replicate Neil's parts or even come up with new ones without sounding out of place, but the stakes are much higher for lyrics.  There are really only two possible outcomes from a new "Rush" release: an attempt to write Neil-like lyrics that comes across like a sad parody, or writing entirely different kinds of lyrics that don't feel like Rush at all.  It's a no-win scenario.

(For an example of just how bad this situation can get, check out the song that The Cars came up with when Todd Rundgren joined them and tried to be Ric Ocasek.)

On the other hand, calling it the Weinrib-Zivojinovich Coalition removes the expectation of Neil-y lyrics and allows them to make whatever music feels appropriate to the situation.  The Rush name simply comes with too much baggage for the creation of new music.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

The big difference when it comes to making new music is that Neil's lyrics were a massive part of the band, probably more essential than the musicianship.  Countless drummers can replicate Neil's parts or even come up with new ones without sounding out of place, but the stakes are much higher for lyrics.  There are really only two possible outcomes from a new "Rush" release: an attempt to write Neil-like lyrics that comes across like a sad parody, or writing entirely different kinds of lyrics that don't feel like Rush at all.  It's a no-win scenario.

On the other hand, calling it the Weinrib-Zivojinovich Coalition removes the expectation of Neil-y lyrics and allows them to make whatever music feels appropriate to the situation.  The Rush name simply comes with too much baggage for the creation of new music.

^^^ This.

In a world full of unhappiness and strife, Lee and Lifeson making new music would be a nice thing.

I think they should just enjoy retirement, but they will do what they wanna do....

• Like 4

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but using CA as a guide for the most recent musical output, I'm thinking maybe they shouldn't work on new material.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JARG said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but using CA as a guide for the most recent musical output, I'm thinking maybe they shouldn't work on new material.

I thought CA was fantastic. Still do.

It was also 11 years ago, so I hardly think it’s an accurate representation of what new music would sound like.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JARG said:

I'm truly envious of you and others like you.

I thought the material was pretty strong, but the production makes me want to punch Nick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JARG said:

I wouldn't want another album in the same kind because I didn't enjoy very much this one. To me Rush was not sounding the same after Hold Your Fire, maybe Counterparts was an exception. But being a Rush fan I would take any collaboration's music from Alex and Geddy.

(For me) Rush died as a band when The Professor passed.

By all means I would love to see Alex & Geddy collaborate again .... tour, create new music, play old Rush songs ..... but ..... just not as Rush. Let the Rush legacy stand as is.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 12:38 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I thought CA was fantastic. Still do.

It was also 11 years ago, so I hardly think it’s an accurate representation of what new music would sound like.

Geddy seems to think it was a great album, I think it was a great one to go out on IMHO

• Like 7

Heck we're all going to die, everything gets blown away like smoke in the wind, if ged and alex decide to make new music as rush with another percussionist and, god forbid, even a new singer, then so be it let's go, can't think of anything more exciting on the horizon.

If turns out to be a stain on the rush legacy so what, that's what it'll go down as and nobody should care that much. Bring it on i say, alex & ged doing COMPLETELY different rush, not completely different music it'll still be rush, is just a real buzz of a prospect

• Like 1