Rush's least streamed song on Spotify is....

taurus

I always viewed the song as a "wrap-up" statement on the theme of "Vapor Trails" (since Neil was nice enough to explain the genesis of the songs in promo material for the album.) Like, people can be reborn after going through hardship, suffering and depression.

Aside from the sadder content on VT, the other themes are about persisting and learning from tragedy. 

Edited by BigMontanaSKY
  • Like 2

Remove Geddy's annoying "vocal textures" in the middle of the song, and I'll listen to it more often!  Alex's guitar riffs are really good.  

Just now, Principled Man said:

Remove Geddy's annoying "vocal textures" in the middle of the song, and I'll listen to it more often!  Alex's guitar riffs are really good.  

Personally, I love what Ged did with the vocal layering on that album.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

More people have streamed Anagram than Out of the Cradle. Let that one marinate.

That's because it's a better song. Out Of The Cradle is just flat out blah. Anagram at least has a catchy melody that can bring you back to listening to it again.

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Anagram at least has a catchy melody that can bring you back to listening to it again.

For sure, Anagram does have a certain something. After hearing it for the first time I did go back and listen to it again to confirm that it was the bland, uninspired and non-Rush-like filler track that I suspected it was. Sadly, my suspicions were confirmed, and I haven't listened to it since 1989. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

More people have streamed Anagram than Out of the Cradle. Let that one marinate.

Hmm, since I suppose Spotify came 'round after both were released, the ten-year head start of "Anagram" probably doesn't factor into it, so there goes my first theory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Well considering Presto is a better album than VT, I hardly find that surprising! :tongue:

No no, it’s the fact that Heresy and You Bet Your Life are more popular that has me confounded.

• Like 2

Difficult to quantify this one .... my immediate reaction is that it should be something from Presto 

as IMO it is the worst album Rush ever released ..... but when it comes down to Rush's long list of songs. across the decades  .... it's all a matter of taste.

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well considering Presto is a better album than VT, I hardly find that surprising! :tongue:

No no, it’s the fact that Heresy and You Bet Your Life are more popular that has me confounded.

Heresy is easily a better song than Out Of The Cradle. I can't stress enough how completely forgettable that song is. As for You Bet Your Life, you never wanted to listen and learn this part just so you can try and sing along to it

anarchist reactionary running-dog revisionist

hindu muslim catholic creation/evolutionist

rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist

armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

deconstruction primitive performance photo-realist

be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist

gold adult contemporary urban country capitalist 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Heresy is easily a better song than Out Of The Cradle. I can't stress enough how completely forgettable that song is. As for You Bet Your Life, you never wanted to listen and learn this part just so you can try and sing along to it

anarchist reactionary running-dog revisionist

hindu muslim catholic creation/evolutionist

rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist

armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

deconstruction primitive performance photo-realist

be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist

gold adult contemporary urban country capitalist 

Dude I was literally in high school when I first heard that, and even then I thought it was cringey. There are worse sins than being forgettable. I can’t tell you how OotC goes off the top of my head, but so know I wouldn’t shut it off if it was on because I know I enjoy it. Heresy and YBYL are endurance tests of annoyance and cringe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

Difficult to quantify this one .... my immediate reaction is that it should be something from Presto 

as IMO it is the worst album Rush ever released ..... but when it comes down to Rush's long list of songs. across the decades  .... it's all a matter of taste.

Any guesses as to what mine would be?

:tongue:

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 11:47 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I like Heresy.

• Like 1

Never enjoyed that tune.

Quite fitting.

• Like 1