What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Students in Nashville protesting gun violence while lawmakers say there is nothing they can do about it. :sad: Meanwhile Memphis is the most dangerous city in the nation but let's go after drag queens...:huh:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2023 at 3:28 AM, Rhyta said:

Students in Nashville protesting gun violence while lawmakers say there is nothing they can do about it. :sad: Meanwhile Memphis is the most dangerous city in the nation but let's go after drag queens...:huh:

because-i-pay-n4zmn6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/4/2023 at 6:28 AM, Rhyta said:

Not to turn this political, but I heard someone talking about this sentiment recently and they made, what I thought was, a good point.  A lawmaker saying there is nothing "they" (lawmakers) can do about something is not the same as saying there is nothing that can be done about something.  We don't have more guns now than we did in the past, and they certainly aren't more readily available now than they were in the past.  Yet before Columbine these events did not happen, certainly not as regularly as they do now.  Why is that?  What can we, as a society, do to address the problem in our society that causes people to do this?  Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun.  Tamerlan and Dzhokar Tsarnaev did not use guns.  Most proposed gun laws focus on AR-15s and the like, even though they account for less than 2% of the murders in the U.S.  Why are we so hesitant to focus on what is really the problem, that too many people in society think committing these horrific acts is justified?

I don't pretend to know what the answers are.  But I don't need to hear more, "close the gun show loopholes," or "federal background checks," bromides.  That's not how the people we read about are getting their guns.  If the issue is really repealing the second amendment, then let's get on with that debate.

• Like 6

On 4/5/2023 at 2:05 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Not to turn this political, but I heard someone talking about this sentiment recently and they made, what I thought was, a good point.  A lawmaker saying there is nothing "they" (lawmakers) can do about something is not the same as saying there is nothing that can be done about something.  We don't have more guns now than we did in the past, and they certainly aren't more readily available now than they were in the past.  Yet before Columbine these events did not happen, certainly not as regularly as they do now.  Why is that?  What can we, as a society, do to address the problem in our society that causes people to do this?  Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun.  Tamerlan and Dzhokar Tsarnaev did not use guns.  Most proposed gun laws focus on AR-15s and the like, even though they account for less than 2% of the murders in the U.S.  Why are we so hesitant to focus on what is really the problem, that too many people in society think committing these horrific acts is justified?

I don't pretend to know what the answers are.  But I don't need to hear more, "close the gun show loopholes," or "federal background checks," bromides.  That's not how the people we read about are getting their guns.  If the issue is really repealing the second amendment, then let's get on with that debate.

Yeah, please don't make this political.   Random Samples is SO not about that, it's a politics free zone.

:rofl1:

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:05 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Why do you hate common sense?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Walk out of the house to go to the store.  On the swale across the street, partially hidden from view is a white wooden post.  Oh shit.  I walk down the driveway and my fears are confimed, the house across the street is back up for rent.  4 BR, 2.5 BA, 2300 sq. ft. on a large corner lot.  3 sales with 5 separate renters since the original owners sold in January of 2018.  The place is big, large back yard, and wide open-no fences on the property.  Relator is the same as the last 3 parties that rented,  but now I' m wondering what kind of new neighbors I could be getting.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, pjbear05 said:

Walk out of the house to go to the store.  On the swale across the street, partially hidden from view is a white wooden post.  Oh shit.  I walk down the driveway and my fears are confimed, the house across the street is back up for rent.  4 BR, 2.5 BA, 2300 sq. ft. on a large corner lot.  3 sales with 5 separate renters since the original owners sold in January of 2018.  The place is big, large back yard, and wide open-no fences on the property.  Relator is the same as the last 3 parties that rented,  but now I' m wondering what kind of new neighbors I could be getting.

I hope it will be some peace-loving persons that will create a feeling of safety in the neighbourhood for their part.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, pjbear05 said:

Is the place haunted?   :ohmy:

I was "people watching" a medical professional at my workplace today and had the realization, This is probably his only relaxation time today. I'll be really chill if he needs anything from me.

Hospitals are basically Misery Island for a lot of career medical professionals. Sorry to be Debbie Downer with this post, but it's the truth.

I wish I was making this up- last night I had a dream about seeing news about a mass shooting on TV.

I wake up and my Smartphone informs me of yes- a mass shooting. (I went to bed early so did not see any of the early reports of the incident.)

If YOU want to empower yourself to not feel helpless because of the frequency of these incidences, learn first aid (there are online resources for this) or take classes at your local college to know what first responders know how to do.

Also speaking from experience, if you have the chance to render aid in an emergency, sometimes it's faster to drive to a hospital yourself as not every region has Paramedics.

23 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Just heard about the tragedy in Texas.  ITS THE FORKING GUNS!:rage:

I agree that they're half the equation.  The decline of general mental health via erosion of the family structure,  devolution of interpersonal communication, and narcissistic consumerism is the other half of this mass murder cocktail.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goose said:

I agree that they're half the equation.  The decline of general mental health via erosion of the family structure,  devolution of interpersonal communication, and narcissistic consumerism is the other half of this mass murder cocktail.

It's insane we have military weapons available so easily.  Other countries have mental health issues and other problems but no where near the death toll our country has.  Mainly because we have too many assault weapons on the street.  It made me sick to hear the families in Uvalde had to use DNA to identify their children's remains and a eyewitness to the Mall shooting this weekend said he went to help a woman and her face was gone..:eh:  Until some common sense prevails this carnage is going to continue.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 12:24 AM, Rhyta said:

It's insane we have military weapons available so easily.  Other countries have mental health issues 

Not at the rates we have.  But yes, the killing power of guns raises the consequences of an ill person lashing out

Jacklyn Zeman has passed away.  I've been watching her character Bobbie on GH since I was a little kid. 

She was a TV icon.  I didn't post a thread.  No one else at this Rush forum watches soaps.  

But I did post an entry about her on my blog.  

240px-Jacklyn_Zeman_as_Bobbie_Spencer.jp

• Like 3

18 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Well done sir, bless you and thank you for your service to our Country :rose: RIP

• Like 1

All my favorite shows got cancelled:  The Winchesters, Big Sky,  Riverdale, Gossip Girl

Edited by Krystal

I thought there would be a thread to talk about dreams, but I couldn't find one.  I had a dream that a plane crashed into a pool near my house.  Most of the people actually survived.  

15 hours ago, Krystal said:

I thought there would be a thread to talk about dreams, but I couldn't find one.  I had a dream that a plane crashed into a pool near my house.  Most of the people actually survived.  

Nothing in the New World Women thread?  Guess most of those threads would be dreams about them and Rush but maybe there might be something there.

• Like 1