What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Concerned for those and especially :rush: fans in NYC, Canada and east coast regarding the air quality.  Shame on the Swamppreme Court for gutting EPA regulations.  

Looks like my area in October 2003 especially since I'm near Mt. Baldy.  It was like the Black Hole Sun music video come to life 20 years ago, no hyperbole.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

So my father passed away last year. Confident, positive, physically active and very healthy, all the way up to age 75. And then metastatic prostate cancer took two years to completely waste him away.

I was on holiday with family last week, including my mother and stepfather- my mother is not doing well. Lots of mobility issues, and she has a condition called CAA (cerebral amyloid angiopathy)- the effects of which basically mimic Alzheimer’s disease. Proteins build up in the brain and cause the blood vessels to rupture. I honestly don’t think she has very long. Another year or two, maybe. (And that might be optimistic. Or it might not. I really have no idea). 

So that would be both parents, in a relatively short period of time. And my sister died, close to 15 years ago.

So then it’ll just be me.

I’m a very positive person. But I’d be lying if I said that nothing ever gets me down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blue J said:

So my father passed away last year. Confident, positive, physically active and very healthy, all the way up to age 75. And then metastatic prostate cancer took two years to completely waste him away.

I was on holiday with family last week, including my mother and stepfather- my mother is not doing well. Lots of mobility issues, and she has a condition called CAA (cerebral amyloid angiopathy)- the effects of which basically mimic Alzheimer’s disease. Proteins build up in the brain and cause the blood vessels to rupture. I honestly don’t think she has very long. Another year or two, maybe. (And that might be optimistic. Or it might not. I really have no idea). 

So that would be both parents, in a relatively short period of time. And my sister died, close to 15 years ago.

I’m a very positive person. But I’d be lying if I said that nothing ever gets me down.

I am so sorry to hear this, it's a sobering thought to realize you soon will be the lone member of your family.  We lost my SIL last Mother's Day and my hubby had it hit him that he is the sole member of his family left.  Just had the 7th year anniversary of my Mother's death, in July 8 years for my MIL, can't believe they have been gone that long.

Hope you have others who you can lean on, I wish you well my friend...again sorry to hear this.:sigh:

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

I am so sorry to hear this, it's a sobering thought to realize you soon will be the lone member of your family.  We lost my SIL last Mother's Day and my hubby had it hit him that he is the sole member of his family left.  Just had the 7th year anniversary of my Mother's death, in July 8 years for my MIL, can't believe they have been gone that long.

Hope you have others who you can lean on, I wish you well my friend...again sorry to hear this.:sigh:

Thank you, my friend.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, Blue J said:

I'm sad to hear of the loss and illnesses of your loved ones. :heart: Take care of yourself, these must have been tough times for you. :hug2:

I spend as much time with my parents as I can without ending up in a burnout again. We have a distance of around 400 kilometers, and with a work in two shifts and with only the option to travel to my parents by using public transportation is not very easy for me. I see my father taking shorter steps year after year and my mother losing bits of her concentration. They've both stayed in a pretty healthy condition, but having reached their early eighties comes with changes that make me feel sad and confused. We never know how much time we have left, but this is a new chapter in life. I still don't know how to relate to it.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 2

The people in the OceanGate submersible have been declared lost.  Debris has been found, and it confirms that an implosion occurred.  

:sad:   :sad:   :sad:

I found out that someone I went to high school with died 2 years ago.  I'm assuming it was because of covid.  The obituary didn't say very much.  

He had a wife and 2 kids.  He was really successful.  We were in a lot of the same classes and served on the student council together. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krystal said:

I found out that someone I went to high school with died 2 years ago.  I'm assuming it was because of covid.  The obituary didn't say very much.  

He had a wife and 2 kids.  He was really successful.  We were in a lot of the same classes and served on the student council together. 

Why would you possibly assume it was because of covid??

On 6/24/2023 at 1:48 AM, Krystal said:

I’m very sorry to hear this. There were a few people in my high school class who died not long after- cancer, drug overdose, motorcycle accident…not even people I was good friends with, but still, it’s awful anytime I life is snuffed out so short.

This is selfish but the fact that my chronic illness is acting up is painful and depressing. I was tired after work and forgot to get OTC painkillers so I have to grit my teeth and go into work feeling like a beat up rug today.

Ugh...sad.

My niece’s cat has terminal liver cancer, but that is not making me sad.  

What is making me sad is that my 30 year-old niece is a basket case because of it.  She had to take off work today because of her many episodes of sobbing and misery.  This will be her first loss of a pet, and she’s not taking it well at all.  I can say, “You can pass this life test” only so many times….. :sad:

Due to stupidity at work, someone stole my water bottle.

I asked my supervisor and was told no one turned in a bottle like mine.

This is the 2nd time in a year this has happened. So upsetting. & Yes I am sad, it's my manager's fault this happened but due to corporate culture I cannot rage out about it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Testing positive for Covid just before the weekend.

Fortunately now it is just like taking a mild cold - bit of a cough and sore throat. 

But I will isolate until I get a negative test.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:48 PM, Principled Man said:

My niece’s cat has terminal liver cancer, but that is not making me sad.  

What is making me sad is that my 30 year-old niece is a basket case because of it.  She had to take off work today because of her many episodes of sobbing and misery.  This will be her first loss of a pet, and she’s not taking it well at all.  I can say, “You can pass this life test” only so many times….. :sad:

Epilogue:  Elric the Cat was euthanized by a vet at my niece’s home this week.  My niece went through it and came out stronger.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yesterday I found a couple birds that died (apparently from hitting passing vehicles.)

I removed them from the roadway & put them somewhere where their little bird bodies will be returned to the Earth.

When I can afford to, I'll be donating time and energy to conservation again. 

Caught up with an old friend today.

We commiserated about aging, ignorant people and needy relatives.

It's sad but America is changing so rapidly & the average working person is so spread thin most of us have to distance ourselves from getting overwhelmed by that.

We do what we can. IMO we can't wait for a superhero to show up and save us. We have to save us.

The state of America- a damsel in distress that needs saving.....

19 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Caught up with an old friend today.

We commiserated about aging, ignorant people and needy relatives.

It's sad but America is changing so rapidly & the average working person is so spread thin most of us have to distance ourselves from getting overwhelmed by that.

We do what we can. IMO we can't wait for a superhero to show up and save us. We have to save us.

The state of America- a damsel in distress that needs saving.....

Due to too much of this imo.

4o7kK3z.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, zepphead said:

Testing positive for Covid just before the weekend.

Fortunately now it is just like taking a mild cold - bit of a cough and sore throat. 

But I will isolate until I get a negative test.

Hope you are feeling better soon Zepphead :hug2:

On 7/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, Principled Man said:

Epilogue:  Elric the Cat was euthanized by a vet at my niece’s home this week.  My niece went through it and came out stronger.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear she lost her cat.  Since I have lost many furry friends over the years, I think everyone reacts differently to loss.  Some people don't understand the grief of others over "just a cat/dog".  While you may feel sad for her taking it so hard, they are like family members to some and it is a significant loss.  I would imagine she realized that it was more humane to let Elric go rather than suffer.  We just lost a cat to diabetes a couple of months ago and we couldn't get him to the vet in time.  It was agony watching him suffer, I still mourn him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

Sorry to hear she lost her cat.  Since I have lost many furry friends over the years, I think everyone reacts differently to loss.  Some people don't understand the grief of others over "just a cat/dog".  While you may feel sad for her taking it so hard, they are like family members to some and it is a significant loss.  I would imagine she realized that it was more humane to let Elric go rather than suffer.  We just lost a cat to diabetes a couple of months ago and we couldn't get him to the vet in time.  It was agony watching him suffer, I still mourn him.

I am sad because of why she is so emotionally dependent on her pets.  To be blunt, it's directly because of her dysfunctional parents and brother, whom she wisely disowned.  She moved 800 miles away, just to get away from them and start a new life.  Her pets (and William, her fiancé....and me) give her the love that she never got from certain others.  Before she met William, she had me and her two cats as Family.  She's doing very well now. 

My own family had a Cocker Spaniel, "Puddles", who died at age five.  She died screaming, as her spine went out on her for some reason.  It's been 40 years, and the family still mourns her.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I am sad because of why she is so emotionally dependent on her pets.  To be blunt, it's directly because of her dysfunctional parents and brother, whom she wisely disowned.  She moved 800 miles away, just to get away from them and start a new life.  Her pets (and William, her fiancé....and me) give her the love that she never got from certain others.  Before she met William, she had me and her two cats as Family.  She's doing very well now. 

My own family had a Cocker Spaniel, "Puddles", who died at age five.  She died screaming, as her spine went out on her for some reason.  It's been 40 years, and the family still mourns her.    

It's not that odd.

She'll be ok. Pets are meant to replaced with new pets.