Who would go see "Rush"...

Timbale

...who wouldn't go see "Lee/Lifeson"?

So...in 2023...what is the value of the name Rush?  I appreciate that Geddy and Alex own the name, and it is their right to use it however they see fit, regardless of any statements they made in the past. 

The name is a brand for sure...and I would venture to say that the only reason Geddy and Alex would choose to use it is because it has brand value.  But...what is that value, really?  Do you think there really is a sizeable number of people who would just buy a ticket to see "Rush" (the way they might just buy a ticket to go see Journey or Styx or some other legacy band) who wouldn't be informed enough/aware enough to buy a ticket to "Lee/Lifeson Project" or whatever?  Like, is there honestly someone who sees an ad for "Rush" playing in their town in 2024 and says, "Oh, they haven't toured for a while...saw'm back on that tour where they did Moving Pictures all the way though...I'm gonna buy a ticket." ?  

It seems like using Rush with some other drummer is going to rile up some of the fanbase...so would it really be worth it for them to do it (considering how much they seem to genuinely value their fans)?

Not everybody knows the members/band history of every band they see. There's a reason Rush played Tom Sawyer at every show.

If they  had a big poster that said "Lee Lifeson plays the music of RUSH", that would likely help move some tickets

• Like 4

I don't care what they decide to call it, if it happens. 

Take my money, please.    See you at the gig,

Edited by grep
  • Like 8

I would not go see them under any name.   I am content with my 10 live concert experiences and all their albums and concert films.

I have the same mentality regarding seeing The Who, the Rolling Stones, Brain May's Queen, Black Sabbath, et al.  They're all done.         

• Like 2

I've seen them enough that I probably wouldn't go again unless the new material was truly groundbreaking. And I had no intention of seeing Geddy talk about his book, but my daughter (who was too young to see Rush before they retired) really wanted to go see Geddy, so we went. So if she really wanted to see whatever permutation of Rush was touring, then I'd probably go.

I mean, I'm the guy who left the S&A and CA shows early so that I could beat traffic.

• Like 4

I guess I more just wanted to get a sense of whether people thought that "Lee/Lifeson Project" was really a less viable option than "Rush".

I know that the name Rush holds some brand recognition, of course...but also, Rush is not Journey or Styx. In 2023, their personal story has been woven into the mythology of the band itself.  This is likely somewhat a Canadian thing… But my mom, who is 80 years old, knows that Neil Peart died, knows that Geddy put out a book about bass guitar and recently a memoir.  I am quite certain she wouldn't know the name of any member of Journey.

When Neil died, I was actually kind of shocked at how mainstream the story was.  Having grown up as a fan in the early 80s… It was such a niche band to be into. There weren't really any biographies, they weren't on the covers of many magazines, etc. etc. And then Neil's death seems like a major media event. And now Alex and Geddy are chatting it up on a CBS morning show.

So...the average Q107 (or whatever classic rock station) listener...if they see "Lee/Lifeson" ads on facebook or hear them on the radio or whatever...aren't they just as likely to go see them as if they called it Rush?

• Like 1

They can call it Jelly Fart Featuring Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee.

I will be there. 

• Like 1

Admin, please move to corresponding thread as appropriate:

Trying to relocate post on FB stating 3rd party selection is a done deal.

It's Stewart Copeland.

• Like 1

I would go see them under whatever banner they decide to fly. I'm sure there would be some form of tribute to Neil especially if they continue as RUSH.

To beat the traffic I'd stay late, hanging around the arena for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

I would go see them under whatever banner they decide to fly. I'm sure there would be some form of tribute to Neil especially if they continue as RUSH.

INSANE!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I would not go see them under any name.   I am content with my 10 live concert experiences and all their albums and concert films.

I have the same mentality regarding seeing The Who, the Rolling Stones, Brain May's Queen, Black Sabbath, et al.  They're all done.         

Same.   I've got concert memories to last a lifetime and more.  :cheers:

I'd go. One last ride in any capacity would be nice. Sure my 4 concerts were great, but that doesn't mean I'm too good for a 5th. If that's what would make them happy, I'm all too happy to financially oblige.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Admin, please move to corresponding thread as appropriate:

Trying to relocate post on FB stating 3rd party selection is a done deal.

It's Stewart Copeland.

PLEASE for the love of God tell me this is going to happen. 

I know there've been rumors ... but what a gorgeous match it would be. 

• Like 1

I tend to avoid concerts or large crowds these days, so probably a no for me. I say that as I'm just getting over the latest flavor of covid. 

Aside from that, there would obviously be outlets to catch the show or the eventual DVD. 

I think they ended it just right and I don't have much curiosity of what they would sound like at 70+. With each passing year, they would add to the possibility of 'losing it' due to age. I don't need to see that. There's a number of competent tribute bands if someone really wants to hear live Rush.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 4:18 PM, JohnRogers said:

For the record, I NEVER left a Rush show early.  

I always stayed until the last note stopped ringing in the venue, the house lights came up, and then I usually hung out and chatted with other fans for 20-30 minutes.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, capoetc said:

For the record, I NEVER left a Rush show early.  

I always stayed until the last note stopped ringing in the venue, the house lights came up, and then I usually hung out and chatted with other fans for 20-30 minutes.  

TrueRushFan ™

I can see both sides here. I'm 57 and kinda done with crowds. Though I did go to a blues festival a year ago. I've been to a lot of shows, bike rallies, etc. in my life. Seeing the guys again might be enough to get me out of my hobbit home out in the woods.