Post here when your My Effin Life book arrives and what you think after reading!

blueschica

On 11/16/2023 at 6:34 AM, Rush Didact said:

Chapter 3 was definitely hard to listen to.  It's unbelievable that anyone survived those awful places...

It made me cry a lot, so hard to hear all the horrible things they had to experience.  God bless them for being so strong and surviving.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2023 at 12:22 AM, zepphead said:

I've just signed up to Amazon Audible and downloaded the book.

I'm new to this 'audible' lark so it's a bit newly fangled having the book read aloud to me, although it is so cool that it is Geddy doing the reading!

I am however keeping the physical copy at hand so that the pictures are sync-ing up to what I am listening to.

So far, (Chapters I & II), I am finding it at times humourous but also very moving. I love the way Geddy reads it - really brings it to life for me.

His accents make it come alive, it is great to hear him read this.  The sad parts must have been hard to do though, bet there were some extra takes here and there.

• Like 1

No offense but I will never understand people who are members of a forum dedicated to some particular passion and they insist on making clear they how bored and uninterested they are all the time. It's not enough to ignore what they don't care about, they want people to know that they're dismissive about it. There's a guy on a football board that I follow and most of his contributions are things like "I wouldn't go back for a game if I had a free ticket" and such. Every win is met with silence and every loss is met with bitter mockery by this person who claims to be a long-time fan and says he went to this university.

There are a million things I don't care about, but I don't spend my time on those forums interacting with people who do care. It just seems like a such a waste of time if you're that jaded. I mean, wouldn't a person rather be on a forum about some topic where they can say "Wow, I didn't even know about this but I'll check it out!" instead? But hey, whatever people choose to do with their own time is fine..

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

That's a bizarre attitude. It's an enjoyable and entertaining read even if you AREN'T a Rush fan. For a fan, I consider it essential.

On Chapter 6 and it’s a fantastic read. I have th audible versions going and love it on my daily commute. Also bought the hardcover of course. 

I am enjoying this better than any of Neil’s books.....actually far more. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

No offense but I will never understand people who are members of a forum dedicated to some particular passion and they insist on making clear they how bored and uninterested they are all the time. It's not enough to ignore what they don't care about, they want people to know that they're dismissive about it. There's a guy on a football board that I follow and most of his contributions are things like "I wouldn't go back for a game if I had a free ticket" and such. Every win is met with silence and every loss is met with bitter mockery by this person who claims to be a long-time fan and says he went to this university.

There are a million things I don't care about, but I don't spend my time on those forums interacting with people who do care. It just seems like a such a waste of time if you're that jaded. I mean, wouldn't a person rather be on a forum about some topic where they can say "Wow, I didn't even know about this but I'll check it out!" instead? But hey, whatever people choose to do with their own time is fine..

Who are these people?

Oh yeah......Trolls. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Neil's books would probably have benefited from having a co-writer / editor like Daniel Richler, or Geddy himself with Neil's lyrics.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 11:22 PM, zepphead said:

I've just signed up to Amazon Audible and downloaded the book.

I'm new to this 'audible' lark so it's a bit newly fangled having the book read aloud to me, although it is so cool that it is Geddy doing the reading!

I did the same and immediately listened to three and a half chapters before nodding off to sleep.  Today the wife and I have a 15-hr drive from Nevada to the Canada-Washington border, so the audio book will get the full listen.  Maybe twice!  

I agree that it's great hearing Geddy himself tell these stories.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goose said:

I did the same and immediately listened to three and a half chapters before nodding off to sleep.  Today the wife and I have a 15-hr drive from Nevada to the Canada-Washington border, so the audio book will get the full listen.  Maybe twice!  

I agree that it's great hearing Geddy himself tell these stories.

There’s quite a few f-bombs. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 1:12 PM, antiquark said:

Great book! I whipped right through it, even thought it was 500+ pages. In fact, I thought it seemed a little rushed at times. (No pun intended!)

Geddy did say that the editors chopped out a lot, maybe there will be an "expanded edition" in the future. 

Also, it was neat that Geddy mentioned many of his musical influences. For example: 

I'd love to see the 1200 page manuscript but there's a much chance of that happened as there is of hearing the 30 plus minute version of The Main Monkey Business!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Todem said:

On Chapter 6 and it’s a fantastic read. I have th audible versions going and love it on my daily commute. Also bought the hardcover of course. 

I love Neil's style of writing. It's certainly a different style but I'm enjoying Geddy's style too. Interesting to compare the two.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2023 at 9:07 PM, Lurkst said:

Hey he answered mine! :clap:

I saw that today looking around for coverage of interviews.

Nice one! It's not just asking a question that folks might already have a general idea about, but hearing Geddy describe his feelings about R40 being the end was really nice. And actually, we already knew about the different feelings between the guys and that it might be over, but Neil feeling "liberated" is a more definitive description of how he must have been growing more excited with each show closer to the end, than the other guys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, snowdog2112 said:

Maybe if in the audio version Geddy threw in a few glottal stops he'd change his mind.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, snowdog2112 said:

Those people are simply miserable.  The popular expression Misery loves company is a true statement.  When people are miserable, they often try to make others share their misery.  They don't like seeing happy people, so they try their best to make them unhappy.    

• Like 2

Chapter 3 is phenomenal.   Not just the details of what Geddy's family endured, but also how they responded as survivors.  Especially Geddy's mother.  Truly inspiring.

• Like 6

On 11/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, laughedatbytime said:

Maybe if in the audio version Geddy threw in a few glottal stops he'd change his mind.

He should've shrieked the first chapter just to give the haters something familiar to complain about. 

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, Rush Didact said:

That's a bizarre attitude. It's an enjoyable and entertaining read even if you AREN'T a Rush fan. For a fan, I consider it essential.

That's nice dear.....I still have no intention of buying it...to clarify, I like Rush's music....I have ZERO interest in their lives outside of this.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 3:25 PM, snowdog2112 said:

None taken......

It's nice that you are enthusiastic all the time, but not all of us can be like that....I suspect that if you really drilled down into the detail of what was posted, it's not nearly as negative as you think...after all, we tend to remember negative things more vividly than positive.

I'm sorry you find my posting not to your liikng, but I can guarantee that every word is my honest opinion..you don't have to like or understand it.

I'm still not buying it ;-) 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 1:23 AM, Principled Man said:

Those people are simply miserable.  The popular expression Misery loves company is a true statement.  When people are miserable, they often try to make others share their misery.  They don't like seeing happy people, so they try their best to make them unhappy.    

Really?

I can assure you I am not a miserable person and have no interest whatsoever in making others that way.

The fact that I have no interest in buying Geddys book surely can't be taken as me trying to upset people?...if so, Jeez.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 1:17 PM, Tony R said:

There’s quite a few f-bombs. 

To this day he has a long f***ing memory for anyone who's ever mistreated him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fridge said:

That's nice dear.....I still have no intention of buying it...to clarify, I like Rush's music....I have ZERO interest in their lives outside of this.

Miserable Scottish tw.at. 

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Really?

I can assure you I am not a miserable person and have no interest whatsoever in making others that way.

The fact that I have no interest in buying Geddys book surely can't be taken as me trying to upset people?...if so, Jeez.

Fridge, I was making a general statement about negative and miserable people on many commenting forums, like the football example that snowdog2112 gave. 

I was definitely not talking about you.  I've never seen any of your posts as miserable.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

Do you not read biographies in general, or do you just avoid ones related to music you enjoy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1