Post here when your My Effin Life book arrives and what you think after reading!

blueschica

Finished the whole thing, the drug used didn’t shock me, but the length of it did.  Including the pot smoking, and how it continued, for one, or some, for their entire career.  

His Family journey and remarks about the location of the R30 DVD were revelatory and informative, to say the least.

His conflicted feelings about the last R40 show were also not a surprise, but a surprise he shared them with the world. 

The glimpses of the bond of friendship between Alex and himself, was evident onstage, and in previous DVD extras, and really on the documentary “Beyond the Lighted Stage.”  The true depth comes through in these pages…and the subsequent interviews with both of them for this memoir.  

What and Effin’ life.   

• Like 3

Just got the book for Christmas from hubby:thumbsup:.  Now I can look at the pictures as I continue to listen to the audio.  Really enjoying listening to Ged's voice. :geddy:

• Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 10:43 PM, rattler2004 said:

Finished the whole thing, the drug used didn’t shock me, but the length of it did.  Including the pot smoking, and how it continued, for one, or some, for their entire career.  

His Family journey and remarks about the location of the R30 DVD were revelatory and informative, to say the least.

His conflicted feelings about the last R40 show were also not a surprise, but a surprise he shared them with the world. 

The glimpses of the bond of friendship between Alex and himself, was evident onstage, and in previous DVD extras, and really on the documentary “Beyond the Lighted Stage.”  The true depth comes through in these pages…and the subsequent interviews with both of them for this memoir.  

What and Effin’ life.   

Yeah, I found the extent and heaviness of the drug use.............disappointing.  Oh well.   Enjoyed the book otherwise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pound of Obscure said:

Yeah, I found the extent and heaviness of the drug use.............disappointing.  Oh well.   Enjoyed the book otherwise.

Got mine for Christmas. I need to finish Kat Timpf's You Can't Joke About That first, since I'm 80% done.

made w/ Imgflip meme maker

I got this for 50% off a couple of days ago.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Got mine for Christmas. I need to finish Kat Timpf's You Can't Joke About That first, since I'm 80% done.

I got this for 50% off a couple of days ago.

All I've ever found was an old school Cylon ornament.  Have to get that beauty there.  

4 minutes ago, Pound of Obscure said:

All I've ever found was an old school Cylon ornament.  Have to get that beauty there.  

This version of the Big G lights up but has no sound, like the Monogram model and others side detail on the main section is lacking a bit. I just like to support TOS license agreement holders, in case someone in the Black Tower reads reports.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, Rhyta said:

Just got the book for Christmas from hubby:thumbsup:.  Now I can look at the pictures as I continue to listen to the audio.  Really enjoying listening to Ged's voice. :geddy:

My daughter just got back from Oregon and picked me up a copy!  Looking forward to reading it with all those pics

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

This version of the Big G lights up but has no sound, like the Monogram model and others side detail on the main section is lacking a bit. I just like to support TOS license agreement holders, in case someone in the Black Tower reads reports.

You know they do and are taking names.

• Haha 1

Finished it last night. Excellent read, good to finally get the history of Rush from an insider's perspective. I used to enjoy Neil's recollections in his books and blogs, but they were always brief flashbacks, never the full story.

I'm in agreement with earlier posts that the 1980s chapters were the weakest part, ironically given that it was probably the band's strongest decade. I thought the most interesting sections from that period were when he talked about the impact their success had on relationships with his wife and family.

It really picked up after that point. I have to admit I found the description of Neil's tragedies even more traumatic than Chapter 3, because they were being experienced by the author and also affected people that we "knew" and the group we loved.

An eerie sensation struck me when I was reading about Neil's passing and realised it was now the anniversary of that date. Four years gone :sad:

My favourite part of the book was just a few lines long, but him describing the locked in connection that he felt with the other guys and audience when a show was in full flow and going well. It instantly brought back the feelings I experienced myself many times witnessing their concerts. Quite simply the greatest live band ever :rush:

• Like 4

On 1/7/2024 at 7:18 AM, Lurkst said:

An eerie sensation struck me when I was reading about Neil's passing and realised it was now the anniversary of that date. Four years gone :sad:

It's a strange thought, isn't it?

Neil's death coincided with the start of an extremely turbulent and difficult period in my life; in a weird way, the unexpected grief of losing him was one of the triggers that kicked it off.  Long and complicated story.  But this anniversary has become one of those milestone markers in my life, one of those dates that I count forward from.  Ah yes, four years now since all that shit started...

• Like 3

On 11/21/2023 at 9:35 PM, Gemari77 said:

Just finished. VERY enjoyable read and very informative… and yes, the parts that you assumed would be sad, were extremely sad…. But, plenty of cool nuggets and joyous moments.  

Finding out that they had “certain” habits and vices that were similar to other Rock bands of the day was a bit like finding out that Santa Claus wasn’t real… but, very honest and human. 

Finding out that Alex had an eating disorder in his early adulthood was pretty shocking to me.  I know it's very common for teenage girls and young women to be obsessed with "good" foods and "bad" foods, and occasionally crash-diet, but it's not quite a common in men.  It's called orthorexia.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:21 AM, anagramformongo said:

Finding out that Alex had an eating disorder in his early adulthood was pretty shocking to me.  I know it's very common for teenage girls and young women to be obsessed with "good" foods and "bad" foods, and occasionally crash-diet, but it's not quite a common in men.  It's called orthorexia.

Eating disorders are common enough in men.

The band was remarkably even keeled for the wack things Fate threw their way on the path to being rock legends.

• Like 3