Post here when your My Effin Life book arrives and what you think after reading!

blueschica

I got an email that mine is on the way!  Of course I have appointments to run to tomorrow  :eh:  so I'll probably find it on the porch at the end of the day.  There's always Tuesday night and Wednesday!  :biggrin:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

My copy arrived yesterday (1pm UK time).

I've a busy couple of days here but hope to commence reading it by the weekend.

• Like 3

Since my copy is coming in December at the Toronto show, I opted for the audiobook rather than buying a second copy of the book.

Folks, the audiobook is so good.  This is actually the first audiobook I've ever listened to, but hearing Geddy tell these stories himself (I haven't gotten to the parts where Al shows up yet) is really special.  He's a great narrator, and I love the Yiddish accents he uses for his family members.  It really brings things to life.

I listened for an hour before work this morning and I can't wait to get back to it...

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Since my copy is coming in December at the Toronto show, I opted for the audiobook rather than buying a second copy of the book.

Folks, the audiobook is so good.  This is actually the first audiobook I've ever listened to, but hearing Geddy tell these stories himself (I haven't gotten to the parts where Al shows up yet) is really special.  He's a great narrator, and I love the Yiddish accents he uses for his family members.  It really brings things to life.

I listened for an hour before work this morning and I can't wait to get back to it...

Thanks for the tip! I am trying to get the audio through our public library app.

The Audible version dropped at 3:00 AM here on the east coast, and I started listening immediately.

I also ordered the hardcover (if only for the pictures!), and that's supposed to arrive today.

• Like 3

I think I will download the Audible version as well. According to my Amazon membership I can take a free trial, and download the book at no cost. Sounds too easy but i'll give it a go!

• Like 3

Mine just arrived from UPS. I’ll probably start it this weekend but my immediate reaction is extremely positive because first, I could have sworn I’d read or heard that it was 400 pages but it’s actually a hair over 500. And secondly, in just doing a quick flip through, it is heavily illustrated, both with several color sections and also b/w photos sprinkled through the text. First impression is really exciting!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

Mine just arrived from UPS. I’ll probably start it this weekend but my immediate reaction is extremely positive because first, I could have sworn I’d read or heard that it was 400 pages but it’s actually a hair over 500. And secondly, in just doing a quick flip through, it is heavily illustrated, both with several color sections and also b/w photos sprinkled through the text. First impression is really exciting!

That's the one thing I feel like I'm missing out on by listening to the audiobook.  Ged describes a bunch of photos in the text and I'd really love to be able to see them.  Ah well, in a month...

• Like 3

I just can’t wait to get my copy tomorrow and sit down and read a book.  

I have fallen out of the habit of book reading, and I am ashamed of myself.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

That's the one thing I feel like I'm missing out on by listening to the audiobook.  Ged describes a bunch of photos in the text and I'd really love to be able to see them.  Ah well, in a month...

I got the audio too but I think I know Santa is bringing me a hard copy, so I will have the best of both worlds.  Listened to the two songs and they are wonderful.  Can't wait to get started.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

I just can’t wait to get my copy tomorrow and sit down and read a book.  

I have fallen out of the habit of book reading, and I am ashamed of myself.  

I have had the same problem for several years now, I used to be able to read 50 + books a year and now I am lucky if I get 30.  Too many podcasts are taking me away from reading, I do miss it.  But now I have a great book to start on :biggrin::geddy:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rhyta said:

I have had the same problem for several years now, I used to be able to read 50 + books a year and now I am lucky if I get 30.  Too many podcasts are taking me away from reading, I do miss it.  But now I have a great book to start on :biggrin::geddy:

I used to read up to 1,000 pages in a day.  Today, I still read a LOT, but it's all online.

I want to read a BOOK again.  I have several books on my "To Be Read" shelf, but this damned computer is the Devil.....  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, blueschica said:

Thanks for the tip! I am trying to get the audio through our public library app.

You will probably have a bit of a wait at the library.  You can get a free audiobook by signing up for Audible and then cancel later if you don't need it.  I started using Libro.fm for audiobooks and it is nice because they give funds to a bookstore in your area (you choose which one to give to) while getting your audio from them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toymaker said:

I've read three pages and laughed out loud three times.  Great stuff.

It's been 2 hours.  Have you cried yet?  :wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's here! 

I posted this picture on my Facebook page with the title: 

:music:  He's got Geddy Lee's whole Effin' Life in his hands.....  :music:

j9X2rSe.jpg

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

As reported in Turn The Page, picked up at local Barnes & Noble before a busy shopping session at Whole Foods.  Will report on book in due time.

Today may be the first time in history that a book report :ohmy:  is seen as a good thing!  :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

It's here!  All of Geddy's effin' life is in my hands.....

j9X2rSe.jpg

I hope there's not too many pictures because I don't want those special magazines for men... I want the good stuff for intellectual like me...

I'm not finished the book yet, but the thing I've found most surprising so far is how many drugs there were in the Rush world.  I mean, it's been well-known and publicly acknowledged for a good 20 years now that the guys smoked a lot of weed, and Neil told the story of his teenaged acid trip in London a long time ago, but I'm surprised to find out how much coke they did in the late 70s and early 80s, to the point where Ged actually describes it as dependence.  I don't think that's ever been mentioned before now.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

I'm surprised to find out how much coke they did in the late 70s and early 80s, to the point where Ged actually describes it as dependence.  I don't think that's ever been mentioned before now.

Listening to the speed of some live recordings from the Signals era they certainly sounded totally wired!

• Like 2