Jump to content

Taylor Hawkins London tribute concert starts shortly- will be on these channels, plus on CBS tonight at 10 pm


blueschica
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I think Alex's guitar tone iin this show is the best he's had in years, maybe since ATWAS.

 

30 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Whatever you're smoking, I want some. 

Alex's guitar sounded good but not great. 

 

 

I'm not smoking anything, just offering my opinion. I thought Alex;s guitar tone was really good, raw and dirty and old-school, which was the appropriate tone for the songs they played.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

 

 

I'm not smoking anything, just offering my opinion. I thought Alex;s guitar tone was really good, raw and dirty and old-school, which was the appropriate tone for the songs they played.

blunts.jpg?auto=format&fit=clip&q=60&ixl

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, treeduck said:

I was thinking the same thing. I notice the tempo of the songs seemed to be a tad slower than usual, or maybe that's just me.

Yeah, it was mixed well too. Both Alex and Ged (you could hear the bass well) sounded old school, kind of funky, dirty and bad ass!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, blueschica said:

Yeah, it was mixed well too. Both Alex and Ged (you could hear the bass well) sounded old school, kind of funky, dirty and bad ass!

Aye, what did you think of Omar Hakim?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Aye, what did you think of Omar Hakim?

I really liked his playing ! Different than Neil, but still great. I think he was an excellent choice. There were one or two bobbles on YYZ, but I think it was because Alex slowed down a bit and Omar had to kind of pick up (or not pick up) the slack. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Aye, what did you think of Omar Hakim?

legendary drummer but just no precise enough to fill neils shoes. they were all sloppy as hell on YYZ though so i'll let him off

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Megadeth said:

legendary drummer but just no precise enough to fill neils shoes. they were all sloppy as hell on YYZ though so i'll let him off

Is that you Dave?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

Aye, what did you think of Omar Hakim?

He was awesome. I didn't know anything about him so I looked him up online and he's 63 freaking years old. He looked like he was in his 40's. Luckily the British crowd didn't screw it up like the Brazilians on Rush in Rio.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BastillePark said:

He was awesome. I didn't know anything about him so I looked him up online and he's 63 freaking years old. He looked like he was in his 40's. Luckily the British crowd didn't screw it up like the Brazilians on Rush in Rio.

Yeah he's a beast. He's been around for ages, played with everyone from Journey to Al Di Meola.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

 

I've watched it three times now. What a f***ing fantastic little set. One day those kids at Wembley will appreciate how lucky they were...

 

Damn ViacomCBS :fistscrying:

 

Good job I watched several times at max volume :ROCK:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only clips available now, hope it will be shown again or maybe a DVD will be for sale.  Saw Geddy and Alex with Dave on the drums, thought it was great!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The BBC reviewer Mark Savage appears to be musically illiterate. Rush don`t get a line beyond that they appeared. Some of the show "veered into self-indulgence", "Wolfgang Van Halen`s finger-twisting guitar riffs left the audience unmoved". Wolfie played On Fire and HFT riffs and solos note-for-note! :facepalm: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

The BBC reviewer Mark Savage appears to be musically illiterate. Rush don`t get a line beyond that they appeared. Some of the show "veered into self-indulgence", "Wolfgang Van Halen`s finger-twisting guitar riffs left the audience unmoved". Wolfie played On Fire and HFT riffs and solos note-for-note! :facepalm: 

I thought his review smacked of that crap idea "simple/punk music is the most authentic music" when he was sniffing about the "skill" of Rush or Joe Walsh, as if being able to do something complex well was pointless. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Megadeth said:

Damn that was the worst rendition of YYZ I've ever heard Rush do. Geddy was playing in a completely different key on the first verse. I guess they haven't been practising much. That and they're like 90

I've never heard Geddy be so lost on that song. Huge brain fart!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

The BBC reviewer Mark Savage appears to be musically illiterate. Rush don`t get a line beyond that they appeared. Some of the show "veered into self-indulgence", "Wolfgang Van Halen`s finger-twisting guitar riffs left the audience unmoved". Wolfie played On Fire and HFT riffs and solos note-for-note! :facepalm: 

 

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I thought his review smacked of that crap idea "simple/punk music is the most authentic music" when he was sniffing about the "skill" of Rush or Joe Walsh, as if being able to do something complex well was pointless. 

 

Yeah - I saw this and thought it was a bit negative. I think this Mark Savage seemed to be preferring songs or Brit music. Or rather, seemed to be ignorant of anything out of the US that he wasn't familiar with.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved the whole thing. Loved Wolfgang VH who did a great job of emulating his Dad and loved Geddy and Alex and their set. All in all their playing was fantastic, warts and all. 

There may have been flaws but I didn't really notice them. The 'overall' result was great. Sometimes when music is played, there are a flaws but if you play through them then it's the overall result that matters. And that's what I got out of it. 

 

In fact, I thought the lineup of acts was a nice contrast of styles. Britpop, pop, rock, prog rock, punk - a nice bit of everything. 

And it looked like the songs played by all where a balance of what Taylor would have wanted played and songs that had a bit of meaning. 

I'm guessing 2112, Working Man and YYZ were what Taylor would have wanted for the most part. 

 

Loved James Gang having never heard them. Only heard a bit of Joe Walsh. 

Loved the Jeff Buckley covers because his album Grace is a fave of mine. 

Nice to hear Supergrass again. 

Those Crooked Vultures were fun and I thought Josh Homme sang well in contrast to some comments on the 'Net.

 

In fact, there were a lot of references to artists that had passed away that was nice. 

Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Freddy Mercury, Amy Winehouse, Eddie VH, Neil P and maybe others I can't remember.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of a shame that some are criticizing the precision of semi-retired older guys who no longer rehearse their complex parts for months on end. 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...