Taylor Hawkins London tribute concert starts shortly- will be on these channels, plus on CBS tonight at 10 pm

blueschica

Oh man, Omar playing with those guys was SO damn cool!  I love that he didn't sound like some Rush tribute drummer, he sounded like his bada** self!  

And I don't care if it wasn't too close to the actual intro...having someone actually play the synth at the start of 2112 was a big smile!

• Like 5

Geddy with one arm around Paul McC and the other around JPJ!!!  (there has to be a picture of that!)

Man, what an incredible show.  Really amazing tribute to Taylor.  His son drummed up a storm too (I joked with a drummer friend "He hits those cymbals like he's not paying for them!")

If I had to pick a drummer to carry on with the Foos though, it would be Josh Freese.  The energy and playing is incredible and I think he would fit.

Not as much energy, but Roger Taylor's son Rufus would be a fitting choice too.  The karma level is crazy.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

And wasn't John Paul Jones there too? That's three living bass legends on one stage.

Yeah, he played them crooked vultures set.

I was hoping for a ged , Alex and JPJ led zeppelin jam with omar Great show but I am little surprised no zep.

Best day for rush fans since the final show imo.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Timbale said:

Oh man, Omar playing with those guys was SO damn cool!  I love that he didn't sound like some Rush tribute drummer, he sounded like his bada** self!  

And I don't care if it wasn't too close to the actual intro...having someone actually play the synth at the start of 2112 was a big smile!

I liked the 2112 intro. Modern and got the point. Then Alex starts ripping it. To me they were shooting for an ATWAS vibe...

Could not be happier with the setlist. Old school.

• Like 3

I only saw bits and pieces of this but I'm very glad that they didn't turn this into a self-indulgent cheese fest. Even as a cynical old geezer I thought Dave's quiet version of Everlong was one of the most poignant moments I've ever seen in a concert. Shows the true potential impact of a song when you strip away all the noise. 

• Like 3

Damn that was the worst rendition of YYZ I've ever heard Rush do. Geddy was playing in a completely different key on the first verse. I guess they haven't been practising much. That and they're like 90

What do y’all think.  Was the fact that the “Rush” set contained no songs with Neil lyrics on purpose or just a coincidence???

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I forgot all about this. It'll be replayed on CBS later, but I doubt it'll be the whole show.

Did you check YT link to see if it's repeating there?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, apetersvt said:

What do y’all think.  Was the fact that the “Rush” set contained no songs with Neil lyrics on purpose or just a coincidence???

Even with South Park, was ‘closer to the heart’ lyrics from Peart or Talbot?  Please  educate me on those lyrics 

15 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I think Alex's guitar tone iin this show is the best he's had in years, maybe since ATWAS.

I was thinking the same thing. I notice the tempo of the songs seemed to be a tad slower than usual, or maybe that's just me.

• Like 6

What a huge surprise!!! So cool to see Geddy and Alex on stage together, and Dave and Omar did great!  Unique seeing these songs played with Dave and Omar’s styles.  They were all smiles, and surely Taylor and Neil are smiling too!!!

🙂🙂

I only saw Geddy and Alex’s part, and Wolf Van Halen’s part (OMG - Wolf!!!).  I’m looking forward to seeing the rest!

Edited by H to O
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I was thinking the same thing. I notice the tempo of the songs seemed to be a tad slower than usual, or maybe that's just me.

Yes, slower, with YYZ being the most obvious of the three. It was a shame they messed up the tricky break after the intro, but that's a tough break to pull off without a ton of rehearsal, which I'm sure they didn't have.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I really noticed how different YYZ sounded with Omar’s style.  He covered it all great in his own way.  He’s a drummer that really pulls back on the beat, where Neil is propulsive and drives the beat forward.  Interesting contrast.  I could hear where Neil would have pushed YYZ differently, and it seemed Alex and Geddy were having to adjust to Omar’s different groove.  It was all awesome!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Megadeth said:

Damn that was the worst rendition of YYZ I've ever heard Rush do. Geddy was playing in a completely different key on the first verse. I guess they haven't been practising much. That and they're like 90

Yeah that was cringey. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

I said exactly that to somebody while watching it.

2112 was particularly slow. Maybe Dave asked to slow it down a bit.

Oddly, I think Working Man sounded the best of the three, and I never say that. lol

Alex changed the bridge part to YYZ too. I think he forgot how it went. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I think Alex's guitar tone iin this show is the best he's had in years, maybe since ATWAS.

Whatever you're smoking, I want some. 

Alex's guitar sounded good but not great. 

• Like 1