RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Man, the bands that recorded at Sunset Sound.

Studio I

The Doors, Van Halen, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Macy Gray, Bee Gees, Doobie Bros., Whitney Houston, Barry Manilow, Oingo Boingo, Luis Miguel, Rolling Stones, Dave Grusin, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Lee Ritenour, Fourplay, Richard Thompson, Yes, Brian Wilson, Beach Boys, Annette Funicello, Carly Simon, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Bangles, Fishbone, Randy Newman, Sly & Family Stone, “Fabulous Baker Boys”, Vonda Shepard, Tom Petty, “The Firm”, Sheena Easton, Patti Austin, Aaron Neville, “Mary Poppins”, Sam Cooke, The Turtles, “101 Dalmations”, Lovin» Spoonful, Buffalo Springfield, Janis Joplin, Genesis, Kenny Loggins, Jackson Browne, “My Best Friend»s Wedding”, Reel Big Fish, “Dr. Doolittle”, “The Truman Show”, “Tootsie”

Studio II

Van Halen, Led Zeppelin IV, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Matthew Sweet, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Celine Dion, Earl Klugh, Alanis Morrisette, Michael Jackson, Toto, Lita Ford, Robert Palmer, “Dick Tracy”, “Dune”, “Days Of Thunder”, “Rocky II & IV”, Ry Cooder, Richard Marx, Aretha Franklin, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Crowded House, Bob Dylan, Jennifer Holliday, Olivia Newton-John, Melissa Manchester, Barbra Streisand, Roberta Flack, Rick James, “Major League”, “Great Balls Of Fire”, Michael Feinstein, “Wayne»s World”, “Wayne»s World II”, Alice Cooper (Muscle »73), Leo Sayer, “The Waterboy”, “The Big Lebowski”, “Pleasantville”, Doyle Bramhall, Weezer, “The Prince Of Egypt”, DDT, Poison, Andy Williams

Studio III

The Surfers, Elliott Smith, Social Distortion, Sugar Ray, Mary Lou Lord, “Midnight In The Garden Of Good & Evil”, Earth Wind & Fire, Prince (Æ81-»87), Dan Fogelberg, Hiroshima, Rancid, k d lang, The Wallflowers, Beck, Mr. Mister, Stevie Nicks, Belinda Carlisle, Kix, Desert Rose Band, Air Supply, Counting Crows, Deborah Harry, Jody Watley, Neil Diamond, Rita Coolidge, Lionel Ritchie, Sam Phillips, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Jones, Van Dyke Parks, Gillian Welch, The Refreshments, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Thisway, Melissa Etheridge

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

Man, the bands that recorded at Sunset Sound.

Studio I

The Doors, Van Halen, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Macy Gray, Bee Gees, Doobie Bros., Whitney Houston, Barry Manilow, Oingo Boingo, Luis Miguel, Rolling Stones, Dave Grusin, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Lee Ritenour, Fourplay, Richard Thompson, Yes, Brian Wilson, Beach Boys, Annette Funicello, Carly Simon, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Bangles, Fishbone, Randy Newman, Sly & Family Stone, “Fabulous Baker Boys”, Vonda Shepard, Tom Petty, “The Firm”, Sheena Easton, Patti Austin, Aaron Neville, “Mary Poppins”, Sam Cooke, The Turtles, “101 Dalmations”, Lovin» Spoonful, Buffalo Springfield, Janis Joplin, Genesis, Kenny Loggins, Jackson Browne, “My Best Friend»s Wedding”, Reel Big Fish, “Dr. Doolittle”, “The Truman Show”, “Tootsie”

Studio II

Van Halen, Led Zeppelin IV, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Matthew Sweet, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Celine Dion, Earl Klugh, Alanis Morrisette, Michael Jackson, Toto, Lita Ford, Robert Palmer, “Dick Tracy”, “Dune”, “Days Of Thunder”, “Rocky II & IV”, Ry Cooder, Richard Marx, Aretha Franklin, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Crowded House, Bob Dylan, Jennifer Holliday, Olivia Newton-John, Melissa Manchester, Barbra Streisand, Roberta Flack, Rick James, “Major League”, “Great Balls Of Fire”, Michael Feinstein, “Wayne»s World”, “Wayne»s World II”, Alice Cooper (Muscle »73), Leo Sayer, “The Waterboy”, “The Big Lebowski”, “Pleasantville”, Doyle Bramhall, Weezer, “The Prince Of Egypt”, DDT, Poison, Andy Williams

Studio III

The Surfers, Elliott Smith, Social Distortion, Sugar Ray, Mary Lou Lord, “Midnight In The Garden Of Good & Evil”, Earth Wind & Fire, Prince (Æ81-»87), Dan Fogelberg, Hiroshima, Rancid, k d lang, The Wallflowers, Beck, Mr. Mister, Stevie Nicks, Belinda Carlisle, Kix, Desert Rose Band, Air Supply, Counting Crows, Deborah Harry, Jody Watley, Neil Diamond, Rita Coolidge, Lionel Ritchie, Sam Phillips, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Jones, Van Dyke Parks, Gillian Welch, The Refreshments, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Thisway, Melissa Etheridge

There could have been some great collaborations at this place. Who wouldn't want to see Mister Mister jam with Rancid?

• Like 1

I've been listening to this interview The Edge did with Tom Morello from U2 X-Radio posted on YouTube.

The discussion came up of Tom Morello being an honorary member of the E-Street Band for a few tours.

Bruce and the band performed a cover of 'Jump' live below, which was a fan request song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrxebATRgg

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I've been listening to this interview The Edge did with Tom Morello from U2 X-Radio posted on YouTube.

The discussion came up of Tom Morello being an honorary member of the E-Street Band for a few tours.

Bruce and the band performed a cover of 'Jump' live below, which was a fan request song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrxebATRgg

That was pretty good.

Don't remember exactly where I found this, but I read something like this somewhere:

Eddie said something about some tracks they never released on ADKOT. And he said that when he's gone, Alex and Wolf can do whatever the hell they want with that material.

So we might have an Eddie tribute album coming soon

Knowing their work ethic, I'd say anything he left behind will only see the light of day if the record company has legal grounds to demand it.

I read this morning that there are a bunch of still-unheard studio tracks.

For one - A different version of Hot for Teacher, with Ed on bass, mimicking the opening guitar solo a la The Roth Band on Shyboy. In fact, that approach on Eat Em and Smile was directly influenced by Ed's attempts on Hot for Teacher.

Ultimately, they removed Ed's bass part from the intro, but LEFT IT IN FOR THE REST OF THE SONG.

https://ultimateclas...cher-alternate/

So there you have it - Ed plays bass on Hot For Teacher.

That's what it says on the article that goose shared above. And yeah, I think that bass and guitar unisons is something Eddie wanted to do for a long time, and Michael Anthony, as great as he is, could never pull this off. They invited Billy Sheehan a couple of times and he said no because he is friends with Mike...and eventually they did those unisons on A Different Kind of Truth when Wolfe joined the band.

Which is largely why Chinatown is such an absolute beast - you knew that was what Eddie wanted to do and that in itself made it a joy to hear. But any song that starts lyrically with "Headless body in a topless bar" can`t really go wrong (even if it was just something Dave read in a paper).

A lot of what went into Dave's lyrics is stuff that he read, listened to and adapted. The lyrics to Secrets came from a postcard he read. And that doesn't take away his merits as a great lyricist. Miles and miles ahead of Sammy. ":If you want to be a monk, you gotta cook a lot of rice".

Dave was a singer songwriter first - Pete Seeger, Dylan, show tunes, borscht-belt standup comics... He understood song construction and turns of phrase.

It`s shines through that he is just a really smart guy in whatever field he applies himself to.

It's kind of easy to understand why his relationship was so fraught with the Van Halens. They were from different cultures. Roth understood American humor and irony - and he was a rich kid.

Ed and Alex were poor immigrants who needed music as therapy and an escape from the stresses of being an outsider. Music to them was a protective wall, where to Roth, it was an open door.

This kind of brings us back to the similarities between NP and Edward. Both used music as a barrier - where other members of their respective bands used it as a way to connect.

I read an interview with either Eddie or Dave in around 1985 or 1986 where they were talking about the difference between them. On the road Eddie would sleep late and Roth would knock on his door early in the morning to go roller skating. Eddie said, "no" and Roth replied, "Man, you live your life wrong." I didn't fully understand that at the time. In hindsight I think I do.

• Like 3

I tried finding info on his funeral assuming that they already had services for him, but I didn't find much. Apparently someone posted a video of him in the casket and the youtuber's account was terminated and the vid removed. How tasteless and insensitive could anyone be?

I repurposed an old birdhouse. Eddie would like it.

50702549457_7f0e1b03d6_o.jpg

Nice paint job. But it's still a birdhouse, right?

Nice work . Isn't it interesting how that design pattern instantly makes most music fans immediately think of EVH, no matter what it's on? Is there another musician that has something like that?

Mick Jagger and the lips/tongue? I know it's the band's but it's a personification of Mick and not the rest, really.

• Like 1

Nice work . Isn't it interesting how that design pattern instantly makes most music fans immediately think of EVH, no matter what it's on? Is there another musician that has something like that?

Mick Jagger and the lips/tongue? I know it's the band's but it's a personification of Mick and not the rest, really.

True, although that's the band's official logo too.

• Like 1

Don't remember exactly where I found this, but I read something like this somewhere:

Eddie said something about some tracks they never released on ADKOT. And he said that when he's gone, Alex and Wolf can do whatever the hell they want with that material.

Knowing their work ethic, I'd say anything he left behind will only see the light of day if the record company has legal grounds to demand it.

For one - A different version of Hot for Teacher, with Ed on bass, mimicking the opening guitar solo a la The Roth Band on Shyboy. In fact, that approach on Eat Em and Smile was directly influenced by Ed's attempts on Hot for Teacher.

Ultimately, they removed Ed's bass part from the intro, but LEFT IT IN FOR THE REST OF THE SONG.

That's what it says on the article that goose shared above. And yeah, I think that bass and guitar unisons is something Eddie wanted to do for a long time, and Michael Anthony, as great as he is, could never pull this off. They invited Billy Sheehan a couple of times and he said no because he is friends with Mike...and eventually they did those unisons on A Different Kind of Truth when Wolfe joined the band.

Which is largely why Chinatown is such an absolute beast - you knew that was what Eddie wanted to do and that in itself made it a joy to hear. But any song that starts lyrically with "Headless body in a topless bar" can`t really go wrong (even if it was just something Dave read in a paper).

A lot of what went into Dave's lyrics is stuff that he read, listened to and adapted. The lyrics to Secrets came from a postcard he read. And that doesn't take away his merits as a great lyricist. Miles and miles ahead of Sammy. ":If you want to be a monk, you gotta cook a lot of rice".

Dave was a singer songwriter first - Pete Seeger, Dylan, show tunes, borscht-belt standup comics... He understood song construction and turns of phrase.

It`s shines through that he is just a really smart guy in whatever field he applies himself to.

It's kind of easy to understand why his relationship was so fraught with the Van Halens. They were from different cultures. Roth understood American humor and irony - and he was a rich kid.

Ed and Alex were poor immigrants who needed music as therapy and an escape from the stresses of being an outsider. Music to them was a protective wall, where to Roth, it was an open door.

This kind of brings us back to the similarities between NP and Edward. Both used music as a barrier - where other members of their respective bands used it as a way to connect.

I read an interview with either Eddie or Dave in around 1985 or 1986 where they were talking about the difference between them. On the road Eddie would sleep late and Roth would knock on his door early in the morning to go roller skating. Eddie said, "no" and Roth replied, "Man, you live your life wrong." I didn't fully understand that at the time. In hindsight I think I do.

This is really telling. Eddie lived a destructive life. Addictions that numbed living. Roth was the opposite. His addictions embraced life. Ying Yang to the fullest.

This is really telling. Eddie lived a destructive life. Addictions that numbed living. Roth was the opposite. His addictions embraced life. Ying Yang to the fullest.

Probably why they kicked so much ass together!

Would it be in poor taste to post an On Fire vid?

Yikes.

I wonder how much you could sell a gram of Eddie's ashes for?

Make guitar picks out of the ashes.

Become a billionaire.

You'd have no soul, but you'd be rich.

I think the devil might give God back Robert Johnson's soul to have the one of whoever's shameless enough to do that. Yikes.

• Like 2

What an incredible man of faith he was. Watch those fingers on that guitar. Effortless movement. He was born to do it.

And there's those people out there who say Eddie copied Hendrix. Those people will end up evicted from their rocks :lol: