RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

I lost 2 of my biggest heroes ever this year: Neil Peart and Eddie Van Halen.

Who is gonna die next? Jimmy Page? HUH?

F**k it, Angus Young? Kirk Hammet? Brian May?

Cuz I will tell you what. I'll listen to the whole Beatles discography before Ringo Starr or Paul McCartney die.

Damn YOU, cancer.

:banghead:

I know it's very morbid of me to say this, but I would say Ozzy is next in line, sadly.

I'm surprised he's still even alive. I love Ozzy, and I am not a totally negative guy, but I'm ready for that day to come :| Edited by _hi_water._

Amen, Hal. They've been dead to me since Celine Dion won over Beck, Smashing Pumpkins and Fugees for AOTY.

YwGgQUZ.jpg

I don't think the little bit of outrage over EVH's tribute clip at the Grammy's is really justified. The Grammy's aren't really about honoring the past, it probably pains them to have to put up a tribute reel every year in the first place as that eats into runtime they could use on another guest performance. 15 seconds on air is pretty generous actually, that's expensive time for a show that isn't about honoring those who've passed. I'd say if this were the Rock Hall, who's whole MO is honoring people's legacies and preserving history, 15 seconds would be completely outrageous. But for the Grammy's, which is theoretically about promoting new music, 15 seconds is very generous.

Amen, Hal. They've been dead to me since Celine Dion won over Beck, Smashing Pumpkins and Fugees for AOTY.

YwGgQUZ.jpg

The Grammys have been dead since Jethro Tull beat Metallica for best metal performance back in 1989. They have always been run by clueless old men just like the rock and roll hall of fame.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

But for the Grammy's, which is theoretically about promoting new music, 15 seconds is very generous.

..but how long was the show??

Not long enough to make 15 seconds not valuable airtime.

YwGgQUZ.jpg

I don't think the little bit of outrage over EVH's tribute clip at the Grammy's is really justified. The Grammy's aren't really about honoring the past, it probably pains them to have to put up a tribute reel every year in the first place as that eats into runtime they could use on another guest performance. 15 seconds on air is pretty generous actually, that's expensive time for a show that isn't about honoring those who've passed. I'd say if this were the Rock Hall, who's whole MO is honoring people's legacies and preserving history, 15 seconds would be completely outrageous. But for the Grammy's, which is theoretically about promoting new music, 15 seconds is very generous.

I heard it could have been longer, they asked Wolfgang to come play on the show but he declined then posted on Instagram about how disappointed he was in his 15 seconds clip...???

YwGgQUZ.jpg

I heard it could have been longer, they asked Wolfgang to come play on the show but he declined then posted on Instagram about how disappointed he was in his 15 seconds clip...???

They asked him to play Eruption. That’s putting him in a tough position. He’s not his father. Why not have Van Halen play one song, with all the members present, and you could have a few celebs sit in on guitar?

The most influential rock guitarist in AT LEAST 50 years (I’m biased but would say ever), and he’s treated like anyone else? I thought it was a bad decision.

• Like 3

Yes, a little more recognition would have been appropriate. I`m sure other award shows, where music that isn`t simply flavour of the month gets airtime, will pay tribute.

Wolfgang Van Halen was 30 yesterday. No doubt he`s had a tough few years. His relationship with his Dad will always be a factor in whatever he does, but I had hoped he would have done a little more by now.

Yes, a little more recognition would have been appropriate. I`m sure other award shows, where music that isn`t simply flavour of the month gets airtime, will pay tribute.

Wolfgang Van Halen was 30 yesterday. No doubt he`s had a tough few years. His relationship with his Dad will always be a factor in whatever he does, but I had hoped he would have done a little more by now.

I don’t know about that. The American Music Awards in November, 1 month after he died, did nothing, either.

Wolfgang isn’t a phenom. He’s a kid whose dad was the greatest rock guitarist ever. If he plays music, great. If not, lots of kids don’t go into their father’s line of work.

I don’t know about that. The American Music Awards in November, 1 month after he died, did nothing, either.

Wolfgang isn’t a phenom. He’s a kid whose dad was the greatest rock guitarist ever. If he plays music, great. If not, lots of kids don’t go into their father’s line of work.

But he really has gone all in on the family trade, in playing for VH from 2007. He`s appeared on one VH record and some guest spots with Alter Bridge and with regards to him being a phenom or not, he`s played every instrument on his record and can sing - Eddie may have been speaking only as a proud Dad, but Wolfie was playing to a high standard as a very young kid. Not many musicians have done more or less nothing over such a long period of time.

But he really has gone all in on the family trade, in playing for VH from 2007. He`s appeared on one VH record and some guest spots with Alter Bridge and with regards to him being a phenom or not, he`s played every instrument on his record and can sing - Eddie may have been speaking only as a proud Dad, but Wolfie was playing to a high standard as a very young kid. Not many musicians have done more or less nothing over such a long period of time.

He's a talented musician, but there are many of them out there. I'm sure Eddie was no different from lots of dads. I'm sure I overrate my kids' athletic abilities. I don't think it was a "nationwide search" for a bassist that got him the gig in 2007. ;)

He's a talented musician, but there are many of them out there. I'm sure Eddie was no different from lots of dads. I'm sure I overrate my kids' athletic abilities. I don't think it was a "nationwide search" for a bassist that got him the gig in 2007. ;)

If I`m being honest, I just want more music from VH than we got over the last two decades, and Wolfie is as close as we`ll get to Eddie, so... pretty selfish I know. Hopefully he`s working through the 5150 vaults and we`ll know what Eddie was doing for most of the last twenty years :guitar:

If I`m being honest, I just want more music from VH than we got over the last two decades, and Wolfie is as close as we`ll get to Eddie, so... pretty selfish I know. Hopefully he`s working through the 5150 vaults and we`ll know what Eddie was doing for most of the last twenty years :guitar:

I wish wolfie well.

He could always take a page from Dweezil zappa. ZPZ

• Like 2

That's just my point. Wolfgang isn't Eddie. If he releases music that people like, awesome for him and them. He's not going to carry the VH flag forward though, because no one can.

Michael Anthony was recently on a podcast and said a box set may be forthcoming at some point, with unreleased material and such. It didn't sound like it was soon though.

He also said a tour with all 3 eras present was contemplated and discussed. That would have been awesome.

I wish wolfie well.

Actually, Dweezil does the best Eruption cover IMO. With the VH II axe to boot.

• Like 2

I wish wolfie well.

I was lucky to see ZPZ years ago opening for Dream Theater, great vibe/experience and there was no doubt Dweezle could play the shit out of that guitar. IMO he's a better guitar player than his dad ever was, obviously there was more to Frank the musician than merely his guitar playing. I think similar thing going on here, the virtuosity might be differently aligned with Wolfgang being the better 'musician' perhaps and his father being the (obviously) better guitarist(?).

I wish wolfie well.

I was lucky to see ZPZ years ago opening for Dream Theater, great vibe/experience and there was no doubt Dweezle could play the shit out of that guitar. IMO he's a better guitar player than his dad ever was, obviously there was more to Frank the musician than merely his guitar playing. I think similar thing going on here, the virtuosity might be differently aligned with Wolfgang being the better 'musician' perhaps and his father being the (obviously) better guitarist(?).

I suppose, along those lines, one could argue their focuses as sons of well known (master) musicians was to forge their own way (whether intentional or subconscious). So it would seem reasonable to think their mastery in ways that differ from their fathers makes sense, and was likely inevitable.

Eruption in the Canyon: 212 Days & Nights with Eddie Van Halen, to be released in September. Looks like an interesting insight into Eddie in those dark years of the early 2000s.
  • Like 1

Eruption in the Canyon: 212 Days & Nights with Eddie Van Halen, to be released in September. Looks like an interesting insight into Eddie in those dark years of the early 2000s.

The guy who wrote the book has tons of footage of the 2004 reunion tour rehearsals, and also the 2007 reunion with Roth. Too bad we'll never see that.

• Like 1

The guy who wrote the book has tons of footage of the 2004 reunion tour rehearsals, and also the 2007 reunion with Roth. Too bad we'll never see that.

From the brief excerpts available, I`m a little unsure how much of this I want to read! Eddie laying bare his feelings about Mike and Sammy and his personal demons, and those were not good times musically or personally for him, so I wonder if I want to know any more than I already do. Do you sometimes discover things during your interviews that you wish you could put back in the bottle?
  • Like 1

From the brief excerpts available, I`m a little unsure how much of this I want to read! Eddie laying bare his feelings about Mike and Sammy and his personal demons, and those were not good times musically or personally for him, so I wonder if I want to know any more than I already do. Do you sometimes discover things during your interviews that you wish you could put back in the bottle?

The only thing I can think of is when Stewart Copeland told me that The Police didn't record a new album after their successful reunion tour because Sting froze at the possibility of writing new material for the band.

• Like 2