Am I still a Rush fan?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Am I still a Rush fan? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Well? Would you guys still see me as a Rush fan?

1. Yes! Once a fan, always a fan! (20 votes [64.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.52%

2. Well... maybe not a hardcore fan anymore, but still a fan! (10 votes [32.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

3. No! You be gone from here! We do not want you here on this forum anymore! You are no longer one of us! (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 19064 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Would you guys think of me as a Rush fan these days?

- I have not listen to any Rush song in more then a year.

- I no longer reading about the band or watch interviews with them like I did before.

- Even tho Rush have released 2 new releases (Time Stand Still DVD and A Farewell To Kings reissue), I have not bought them. If it was a year ago, I would have pre-ordered them right away.

- When I see a Rush vinyl record in my record store, I just skip it whitout even looking what pressing it is.

- I no longer go to Rush official website.

- I almost never wear any of my Rush t-shirts anymore even tho I have almost all that got released before the R40 Tour started.

- I am almost not active on this forum anymore (only when I got nothing else to do), and when I am here, I am never in the Rush part of the forum (except for now).

- I no longer talk about Rush with everybody around me like I used to.

Sponsored Post

#2 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17911 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

I rarely listen to Rush but still enjoy them when i do.

so you can be a fan......you don't NEED to obsess to be a fan.

Mick

#3 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10304 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

I've been like you describe for well over twenty years lol......

#4 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Playing and listening to music, reading about history, and having a good time talking with other Rush fans.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

I still consider Rush to be my favorite band of all time without a doubt. But after hearing of their retirement and listening to every one of their songs from start to finish, I think I could go with a break from listening to Rush. Pretty much now, I'm starting to look into some of the other music I like such as Queensryche, Cream, The Police, Michael Jackson, etc. Me not listening to Rush doesn't automatically mean I'm not a fan anymore. For example, I consider The Beatles to be my second favorite band out there and I listen to them on some occasions. Does that make me not a Beatles fan anymore? No. I just choose to listen to other music while still holding said artist in high regards.

#5 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1288 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Of course you're a fan, just set on a lower activity level now that's all. Once in The Temples of Syrinx you cant get out

#6 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28622 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 04 March 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Would you guys think of me as a Rush fan these days?

- I no longer reading about the band or watch interviews with them like I did before.

- Even tho Rush have released 2 new releases (Time Stand Still DVD and A Farewell To Kings reissue), I have not bought them. If it was a year ago, I would have pre-ordered them right away.

- When I see a Rush vinyl record in my record store, I just skip it whitout even looking what pressing it is.

- I no longer go to Rush official website.

- I almost never wear any of my Rush t-shirts anymore even tho I have almost all that got released before the R40 Tour started.

- I am almost not active on this forum anymore (only when I got nothing else to do), and when I am here, I am never in the Rush part of the forum (except for now).

- I no longer talk about Rush with everybody around me like I used to.
I will be the official arbiter of this question, only read other opinions for entertainment purposes only.

How long “has this been going on”?

#7 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

You're still a fan. You're just now past that stage where you're not obsessing over falling for a great band. They'll always be my favorite band but over the last decade there are long stretches where I don't listen to them. But a few times a year I will come back to them and run through the studio discography. Currently it's been months since I've listened to them. Plenty of great music out there to fill up my listening time.

You're probably also at the point as a fan where you've heard their stuff so much that it's always gonna be a huge part of you. So the need to hear them isn't as strong because Rush is always there with you whether you realise it or not.

#8 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

The whole forum has run dry of Rush related things to discuss, so it's just something that comes with retirement.

Even ripping on Neil has gotten old.

#9 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Rush/World History

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

I still hold my fire....but now I feel more to be a Geddy :geddy: fan than a :rush:  fan :eyeroll:

#10 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

The band ended. The AFTK reissue and Time Stand Still DVD are both seen as very non-essential, not to mention you've probably become more interested in many other bands since you first came here that seem more appealing right now either because you haven't finished learning about them and their music yet, or perhaps because they aren't over like Rush. You're still a fan if you would still enjoy it if you did listen to their music. If you one day decide that you no longer have any affection for the group or their songs, then on that day you may no longer be a fan, but as long as that hasn't happened, you're just taking a break.

#11 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12326 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

Zumbi, has your enthusiasm for all music waned along with Rush ?? .. Do you still feel the same about Lita Ford, for example ??

Maybe it's not Rush, but where music is in your life now ... It'll come back around though

#12 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 17685 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Why should I care?

#13 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12705 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, ghouls

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

i'm not an obsessive fan like i was when i was 16/17, but still a hardcore fan. i've branched out and discovered lots of other bands and artists that i really like, and i don't listen to rush as much because they're now just one of many that i listen to.

Edited by jamie, 04 March 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#14 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 8496 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 04 March 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

#15 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3533 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

I go through phases with Rush... or any other band I'm totally into. Even Ozzy. It happens.

Shelve Rush for awhile. It'll still be there when you're ready to come back.

#16 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46674 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M.,drumming,nothing much else

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostTony R, on 04 March 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Why should I care?

Seriously, if you are gonna be a jerk then f**k off.

Zumbi is just asking a question n you just think its okay to be rude, well it isn't mate. Be respectful to someone asking what seems to be an important question.

#17 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Yes, some of us are still on a mission to convert the masses here in Australia. My daughter goes to piano lessons at the local music shop and I was astounded that none of the guitar, bass, drum teachers had heard of Rush. I screamed sacrilege, how can you be teaching music when you are unaware of one of the major influences in rock.

#18 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

View Posttas7, on 04 March 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

Yes, some of us are still on a mission to convert the masses here in Australia. My daughter goes to piano lessons at the local music shop and I was astounded that none of the guitar, bass, drum teachers had heard of Rush. I screamed sacrilege, how can you be teaching music when you are unaware of one of the major influences in rock.

Have they ever been popular in Australia?

#19 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 04 March 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

View Posttas7, on 04 March 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

Have they ever been popular in Australia?
No, small pocket of fans. Lately people are becoming aware of them after people like me keep badgering about them. Rage, the major Aussie music show has at least been playing The Big Money video but you would never hear them on the radio.

#20 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 8496 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostTony R, on 04 March 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Why should I care?