How is it possible NOT to like Rush?

YYZumbi

They have not made a single bad song or album (do not start fighting about this now please... ofcourse they have made some songs that is masterpieces and other songs that is not great, but at least every song is good and no song is skip-able, at least not for me...)

They are a awesome live band

They are funny guys

and they seem to be very kind guys that care about their fans (Im a bit angry about they not coming to Europe on their R40 Tour, but thats another story...)

And their friendship to each other makes me happy

And they really got the skills and know how to play together.

So how is it possible NOT to like Rush? I have no idea.....

• Like 1

Some people don't like that type of music and the people I know who don't like them, to a person, say it's because of Geddy's voice. The same reason some people don't like growling or "cookie monster" vocals but like the music.

Different strokes and all that. Don't sweat it.

• Like 1

They have not made a single bad song or album (do not start fighting about this now please... ofcourse they have made some songs that is masterpieces and other songs that is not great, but at least every song is good and no song is skip-able, at least not for me...)

They are funny guys

and they seem to be very kind guys that care about their fans (Im a bit angry about they not coming to Europe on their R40 Tour, but thats another story...)

because people are stupid!
  • Like 3

A lot of people have crap taste in music. :) Rush takes some effort to really get into, in the sense that their music grows on you and their lyrics are generally deeper than your average pop diva song of the week.
  • Like 3

They have not made a single bad song

Stopped reading here

tl;dr

They have made many songs panned by critics and fans alike. They don't bat a thousand. Again, it makes them interesting.

Not everyone is into the high pitched voice of the earlier years. The people that are find themselves on forums like these.

Pretty much everyone is into Neil's drumming though

They are funny guys

Sadly I know a plethora of females who hate this band.

Much as I like them at their best, I can completely understand why many don't like them.

Some folks like their music pitched at groin level, and there's precious little bump n grind in their output.

Gedddys 70s voice is marmite...you love it or hate it.

For a lot of prog fans they are too metal and for metalheads not metal enough.

Finally, I don't think they've done anything truly worthy of the brand since (if I'm brutally honest) Hold Your Fire.

• Like 1

Rush aren't for everyone.

Music is subjective. I don't like hardcore rap, but that doesn't change the fact many worship that style as we do rock.

They have made bad songs. Friendship? Between Alex and geddy it's real. Between Neil and them I'm just not that sure. If feels more like a convenient business relationship established around the needs of Neil more than the others but that's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to like rush and I'm glad they are a little underground.
  • Like 2

They are funny guys

At which point does not calling you an idiot become impossible based on the data?

• Like 4

How?

the world is full of stoopid people

Liking something is subjective and all depends on your personal taste. I don't like Bob Dylan or The Rolling Stones, even though they are some of the most beloved artists of all time. On the opposite end, I love the movie Pixels, even though it is hated by nearly everyone. You can't objectively say that something is good. It all depends on what you like or hate. If you don't like Prog Rock or high voiced guys, you likely won't like Rush.
  • Like 1

I hated Rush for about six months after my best friend got into them in early 1980. He would play them every time we got together and I would complain. I hated Geddy's voice and the music sounded like incoherent noise. It grew on me and I bought Permanent Waves and 2112 a couple of weeks apart in June or July of 1980 and by the end of the summer I had all the rest. However each album took repeated listens to like. With odd time signatures and changes within songs it takes longer to become familiar with a song enough to really like it.
  • Like 3

I know plenty of people who Can't Stand Rush.

it's fine Zumbi. Shit happens.

To say they haven't done anything bad music wise is an 1 opimion, lol. that i find i don't agree with.

What we have here is a case of acute Fanboi-itis.

The cure.......get over yourself..........for some Rush ain't the tops. fact is outside of here. they are pretty widely ridiculed.

Mick

• Like 1

To say they haven't done anything bad music wise is an 1 opimion, lol. that i find i don't agree with.

The cure.......get over yourself..........for some Rush ain't the tops. fact is outside of here. they are pretty widely ridiculed.

Mick

Well, i f he likes everything they have done, fair enough.

But can you imagine how boring our thread would be if we agreed about absolutely everything?!

Although to see Steely Dan and No Doubt tour together would be a real laugh...can you imagine?!?

• Like 1

I will try to answer based on my wife's perspective.

She is very open to music, and loves heavier stuff like Godsmack, NIN, Disturbed, and all the Seattle stuff from the 90's. She also loves Rick Wakeman, a lot of country music, pop from the 80's and 90's, some classical (she played the viola), no jazz. She can appreciate stuff like Led Zep and Jimi Hendrix, but doesn't actively listen to it on her own if I'm not playing it in the car. She also digs a lot of classic rock from the 70's.

She does not like progressive stuff. I've tried to expose her to Rush, Yes, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, etc.

With Yes, despite her love for Wakeman, she doesn't necessarily dig Jon's singing or the group vocal style, which does have a unique cadence. And she thinks they can be long-winded. However, she WILL listen to them sometimes when I play it in the car (I try to avoid the more challenging tunes when she is in the car).

Now...Rush. It's funny with her because she sat and watched "Beyond the Lighted Stage", and has sat through me watching several of Neil's drum videos and she's even half-way paid attention to a couple of concert DVD's. So I would sum up her likes and dislikes of Rush thusly:

What she likes about Rush:

---Camaraderie of the band. She totally gets their friendship and appreciates their longevity and loyalty. She also knows all about Neil's deal as i relayed a lot of 'Ghost Rider' to her while I read it.

---Their humor. She admits she would LOVE to have them over for dinner. She agrees that Alex may be The Funniest Man Alive.

---Their IQ. She gets that they are very very smart.

---Their ability and talent. She is completely aware of how good they are, and she appreciates Neil's talent especially. My bringing Rush into the house in 2003 when we got together and turning her 15 year old son onto them (he's a drummer) has helped save his life and got him through high school. Rush is still his favorite band and he's a splendid drummer in a band, playing like a mix of Neil with Bonham's right foot. Funny how I could never quite get him to 'get' Moon, though LOL.

---She very much digs that they do things on their own terms.

What she does not like about Rush:

---Yep...Geddy's voice. In particular on the older stuff. She likes New World Man okay.

---Like the Emperor of Austria said in Amadeus: "Too many notes." Like w/Yes, extended pieces don't suit her. But even Rush's shorter stuff is too action-packed for her ear.

So, Rush is a band that she kind of likes, and she likes the guys, but she just doesn't care for the music or Ged's voice.

• Like 1

Mick

Well, i f he likes everything they have done, fair enough.

But can you imagine how boring our thread would be if we agreed about absolutely everything?!

Although to see Steely Dan and No Doubt tour together would be a real laugh...can you imagine?!?

if we all liked everything Rush did.

A typical day on TRF would be.

Ainj't everything about Rush Grand?

Yes indeed.

well.......have a nice day, lol

Bland huh?

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1