Is Alex underrated or overrated?

Captain Avatar

Alex is probably the most under-rated guitarist of all time. I've never understood why guys like Steve Vai or Joe Perry received the attention they did ... they're extraordinary players to be sure, but also fairly limited in their approach. Look back over Rush's catalogue and consider how many different styles Alex plays, it's just mind boggling. I honestly believe he's one of the most creative players yet, and would certainly put him in the top 5.

I've been playing guitar for about 35 years. I can play along note-for-note with many of the all-time greats. Lifeson ... not so much. There are so many subtle nuances to his playing that are almost impossible to replicate. He truly is on a level of his own.

I cant believe you just put Joe Perry alongside Vai. Perry is a basic, meat and potatoes player...Vai is actually quite diverse if you really dig into his resume. The guy is a master.

• Like 1

In the Making of 2112/Moving Pictures documentary Geddy states what Rush fans so often say, which is that Alex is one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

Let me state at the outset, Rush are my favorite band and Alex is a key reason for that. I love his chord choices and his use of arpeggiation. I love the way that he pays attention to the message of the song and does what he can to fit the mood of the song (examples include his "lonely" guitar solo on Limelight, his "exotic" sound on YYZ, evoking travel to distant lands via airplane, and his "spooky" sound on Twilight Zone, to name just a few). He serves the song first, and shows off later, if at all. He's the consummate team player, allowing Geddy and Neil the freedom to grab the technical spotlight time and again. He wants to write great songs, whether or not he ends up standing out technically. For all of those reasons, I love the guy.

But after watching the documentary, I asked myself if I agreed with Geddy or not. Is Alex truly underrated as a guitarist?

My opinion: He's both underrated and overrated, for different reasons.

Why do I think he's underrated? Because Rush are a legendary Rock band with more classic songs and riffs than many other bands can boast, and if we're going by today's oft-quoted polls, so many technically mediocre guitarists are labelled "great" simply because they've been in legendary bands. Guys like George Harrison, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and even Jimmy Page (although I don't think he's really mediocre...just not a technical virtuoso) are always near the top of "great guitarists" lists. By that standard alone, Alex should be near the top, given Rush's forty-year resume of classic riffs and songs. Yet so often, he is completely ignored, or found at or near the bottom (Rolling Stone anyone?)

Why do I think he's overrated? Because Rush are always talked about as "masters of their instruments," "musicians' musicians," and "virtuosos." However, I think Neil and Geddy wear that label more accurately than does Alex. It could simply be that, as I argued above, Alex has been content to let Geddy and Neil play the role of virtuoso, but I think it's probably more than that. He's certainly technically much better than many guitarists (including, IMO, the ones I cited above), but I don't think Alex is as good on his instrument as Geddy and Neil are on theirs. If we're simply talking technical ability, Neil and Geddy are legitimate (rock) virtuosos, and Alex is really good. I believe the title "virtuoso" is applied to Alex more because of his connection with Geddy and Neil than because of what he's displayed on Rush albums. In that way, I think he's a bit overrated.

Do you agree? Why or why not?

I don't recall John Lennon or George Harrison being lauded for their technical proficiency on their instruments; it seems to me The Beatles were always acknowledged as great songwriters and a great band but not for being virtuosos on their respective instruments.

I think Alex is underrated. He has an incredible range, can play classical style, shred it like Page or Hendrix and do all sorts of other things in between that many of the oft cited "best lead guitarists" could never do (or if they can, they've never done so on record).

Alex is definitely underrated in my opinion.

Edited by rftag

Alex is probably the most under-rated guitarist of all time. I've never understood why guys like Steve Vai or Joe Perry received the attention they did ... they're extraordinary players to be sure, but also fairly limited in their approach. Look back over Rush's catalogue and consider how many different styles Alex plays, it's just mind boggling. I honestly believe he's one of the most creative players yet, and would certainly put him in the top 5.

I've been playing guitar for about 35 years. I can play along note-for-note with many of the all-time greats. Lifeson ... not so much. There are so many subtle nuances to his playing that are almost impossible to replicate. He truly is on a level of his own.

I cant believe you just put Joe Perry alongside Vai. Perry is a basic, meat and potatoes player...Vai is actually quite diverse if you really dig into his resume. The guy is a master.

Sorry man, and no disrespect to Steve Vai. He really is a great player. But he's simply not in the same leage as Big Al.

Sorry man, and no disrespect to Steve Vai. He really is a great player. But he's simply not in the same leage as Big Al.

Nor is Lifeson in the same league as Vai.

True. On the other hand, they both have played evil in movies.

Interesting it seems I never responded to this thread.

Alex is the benchmark underrated guitarist for me. Put him in a band with literally any other rhythm section from his era and he's the standout player, but of course most folks don't notice him next to Neil and Geddy. I've also heard very few guitarists (maybe none) who's style and sound evolved and advanced to the degree Alex's did throughout his career. You can blame maybe some of it on the Summersisms of the 80s, but there's a definite change from Working Man to Cygnus X-1, and from La Villa Strangiato to Between The Wheels. I also remember hearing that Porcupine Tree song where he gets featured years ago and, without knowing for sure if Alex was playing on it, thinking it sounded a lot like Alex. Despite all the evolution he's very identifiable; I can totally pick him out of a crowd. I had a certain low, plodding riff stuck in my head a few weeks ago and wasn't sure who it was, but my gut said it might be Alex, so I sampled a bunch of 90s and 00's Rush songs till I finally found it was the verse riff to Test For Echo! Alex is phenomenal. Tied for my favorite guitarist ever.

• Like 3

UNDERRATED

Alex is underrated, compared with other guitarists of equal or lesser ability who've received too many awards. (Rest in peace, BB King, but damn give some of those trophies back.)

Alex's style is variable and weird and kinda brilliant. Sometimes emotional, more often cerebral. To me, he was often at his best when creating soundscapes that meshed well with two other players who were legitimate maestros. His arpeggios were really great. For example, Bravado or Mystic Rhythms or Xanadu: those arpeggios were perfect ways to fit with busy-as-hell drumming and busy-as-hell bass.

Heavy riffs were another forte of his, but those are easy to write and play. No bragging, but I can write three heavy riffs in ten minutes.

Is Alex as good as Steve Vai?

No.

Sorry, don't kill me. Vai practiced 9 hours a day for much of his life. Technically he's the best electric guitarist anybody's ever heard. Vai didn't lose an emotional connection with his work either -- go back and listen to "For the Love of God" one more time for a reminder of how otherworldly he could be.

But would Vai have fit into Rush? Probably not.

You can't have three maestros sharing a stage. At least one person's always gotta hang back, a little, to let the others shine.

Is Alex as good as Eric Johnson?

No.

Same as Vai. Johnson is otherworldly good, and is my personal favorite all-time electric guitarist. But he wouldn't have fit into Rush at all.

Maybe he and Jeff Beck can get together to cry in their beers about not having crossed some ambiguous threshold of public acceptance, but somehow I don't think that's happening. He's rich, talented, beloved by millions, and a member of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame -- whom he mocked in his acceptance speech. (There was some real anger in that blah-blah-blah.)

I'm sure he's happy.

UNDERRATED

Alex is underrated, compared with other guitarists of equal or lesser ability who've received too many awards. (Rest in peace, BB King, but damn give some of those trophies back.)

Alex's style is variable and weird and kinda brilliant. Sometimes emotional, more often cerebral. To me, he was often at his best when creating soundscapes that meshed well with two other players who were legitimate maestros. His arpeggios were really great. For example, Bravado or Mystic Rhythms or Xanadu: those arpeggios were perfect ways to fit with busy-as-hell drumming and busy-as-hell bass.

Heavy riffs were another forte of his, but those are easy to write and play. No bragging, but I can write three heavy riffs in ten minutes.

Is Alex as good as Steve Vai?

No.

Sorry, don't kill me. Vai practiced 9 hours a day for much of his life. Technically he's the best electric guitarist anybody's ever heard. Vai didn't lose an emotional connection with his work either -- go back and listen to "For the Love of God" one more time for a reminder of how otherworldly he could be.

But would Vai have fit into Rush? Probably not.

You can't have three maestros sharing a stage. At least one person's always gotta hang back, a little, to let the others shine.

Is Alex as good as Eric Johnson?

No.

Same as Vai. Johnson is otherworldly good, and is my personal favorite all-time electric guitarist. But he wouldn't have fit into Rush at all.

Maybe he and Jeff Beck can get together to cry in their beers about not having crossed some ambiguous threshold of public acceptance, but somehow I don't think that's happening. He's rich, talented, beloved by millions, and a member of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame -- whom he mocked in his acceptance speech. (There was some real anger in that blah-blah-blah.)

I'm sure he's happy.

Jeff Back hasn't cross the threshold of public acceptance? I wonder how Scatterbrain wound up on guitar hero then...

Generally I agree with the gist of this though. Alex isn't exactly as technically proficient as the Vai's and Johnson's of the world, but to me he totally makes up for it in imagination and personality.

• Like 2

Alex isn't exactly as technically proficient as the Vai's and Johnson's of the world, but to me he totally makes up for it in imagination and personality.

Exactly.

For technical proficiency, Alex scores an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

Johnson scores a perfect 10.

Vai scores a 28 lol.

I think Lifeson is UNDER-RECOGNIZED by the general public or outside of Rush fans.

For example, Eric Clapton is among the most famous guitarist names generally while Alex Lifeson is far from that and I never understood why, since Lifeson is (objectively) a much better guitar player than Clapton. 

• Like 3

On 6/29/2015 at 7:40 AM, JARG said:

Nor is Lifeson in the same league as Vai.

Sure as far as chops but Alex is more interesting nonetheless.

No way Lerxst could play Shyboy but Vai would never come up with the solo to Limelight. Or the intro to SOR.

When challenged to be simple, Vai fails I think. Lerxst will take a simple riff and make it his.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, chemistry1973 said:

Sure as far as chops but Alex is more interesting nonetheless.

No way Lerxst could play Shyboy but Vai would never come up with the solo to Limelight. Or the intro to SOR.

When challenged to be simple, Vai fails I think. Lerxst will take a simple riff and make it his.

Right, my comment was in response to someone saying Vai isn't in the same league as Lifeson. They each have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, Texas King said:

For example, Eric Clapton is among the most famous guitarist names generally while Alex Lifeson is far from that and I never understood why, since Lifeson is (objectively) a much better guitar player than Clapton. 

Clapton was a phenomenon in his heyday, up there with Hendrix. Rightly or wrongly Alex never received that kind of global adulation as he and his band travelled outside of the mainstream.

Underrated.

He invented a chord.

Older musicians will freely admit they had less competition in their prime.  

Someone else pointed out that because prog rock is not a huge thing, Lifeson didn't get mentions or airplay in certain markets.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY
  • Like 2

On the Mount Rushmore of Prog Rock Guitarists. 

Period.

• Like 3

Nope ! not overated. UNDERATED. Joe Satriani is playing Art galleries and is going to be playing with Spammy Hagar this summer. Vai never stayed with any band he played in more than two albums. Alex who was never considered a fretboard wunderkind had a 40 year career in a legendary band who had over a dozen Gold and Platinum records. Its not about ftretboard gymnastics and pyrotechnic licks . it is about making memorable songs. Permanent Waves is a masterpiece and he was what 30 years old?

Much more than a musician, one of the great artists of any type, paints with sound most imaginative rock guitarist there will ever be his range from most sensitive and delicate to most powerful and aggressive. Over the years he even looked the coolest. The man's a demi-god i personally couldnt thank anyone else more for

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lifeson90 said:

Much more than a musician, one of the great artists of any type, paints with sound most imaginative rock guitarist there will ever be his range from most sensitive and delicate to most powerful and aggressive. Over the years he even looked the coolest. The man's a demi-god i personally couldnt thank anyone else more for

I often like to point out that before he'd even turned 18 he 1) knocked up his girlfriend and 2) started a rock band.

We all know what happens in those cases. 99 out of 100 times, the guy leaves both the girl and the band, with a lot of lifelong regrets. 

Alex stayed with the girl AND the band. He stayed with both for 50 years, and carried everyone through to success.

That says a lot. 

• Like 5