Is Alex underrated or overrated?

Captain Avatar

Alex is truly underrated. Obviously he's shown us time and time again that he can shred f***ing hard if he wants to. He's also shown us that he can play extremely emotional, fluid, flexible guitar solos. His chord phrasing in the 80s and early 90s is unparalleled as is his arpeggiation. I rest my case lol Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 4

This has been discussed to death for such a long time that at this point, Alex is "Rated". Not over or under. He's where he should be, or something.

Great guitarist in a great band. Not the global #1 virtuoso player.

In the guitar god 80's Alex was the guitarist in a band increasingly dominated by keyboards. That didn't help his rankings in the pantheon of guitar heroes.

Agreed, Alex was one of the best around in those early days because he, and he alone was carrying the melody. His playing was very riff oriented and way out front in the mix. As keyboards started becoming more prodomenant in their music, Alex admits that he struggled to find his place in the band. Unfortunately for him, that place was very subtle and way back in the mix. Dropping Terry Brown was probably the biggest detriment to Alex's development.

If there were such a thing as an alternate reality and Terry Brown had never left, and Geddy had never picked up keyboards like he did, it would be interesting to see how their music would have been today.

• Like 1

Highly underratted in the main stream and highly regarded in musician circles.

He is the reason so many of us my age (gen X'ers) in the prog rock genere play guitar. He truly is an inspiration with his approach and sound. Unique, and his appregiated chord structures are just sick on some tunes. But his phrasing on his solo's is what did it for me.

When I heard La Villa on Exit Stage Left for the first time at age 12 is was at that moment I wanted to play guitar, write music and be a rock muscian. I loved the scene in BTLS when the gutarist from Metalica talked about La Villa and how it affected him.....it was exactly how I felt as well.

Exactly.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

This has been discussed to death for such a long time that at this point, Alex is "Rated". Not over or under. He's where he should be, or something.

In the guitar god 80's Alex was the guitarist in a band increasingly dominated by keyboards. That didn't help his rankings in the pantheon of guitar heroes.

Agreed, Alex was one of the best around in those early days because he, and he alone was carrying the melody. His playing was very riff oriented and way out front in the mix. As keyboards started becoming more prodomenant in their music, Alex admits that he struggled to find his place in the band. Unfortunately for him, that place was very subtle and way back in the mix. Dropping Terry Brown was probably the biggest detriment to Alex's development.

If there were such a thing as an alternate reality and Terry Brown had never left, and Geddy had never picked up keyboards like he did, it would be interesting to see how their music would have been today.

In my opinion.....they would have been done 20 years ago.

In my opinion.....they would have been done 20 years ago.

It's certainly possible. I think they could have kept going on the same vein as Moving Pictures for a while, but would have needed to change as the time changed.

Highly underratted in the main stream and highly regarded in musician circles.

He is the reason so many of us my age (gen X'ers) in the prog rock genere play guitar. He truly is an inspiration with his approach and sound. Unique, and his appregiated chord structures are just sick on some tunes. But his phrasing on his solo's is what did it for me.

When I heard La Villa on Exit Stage Left for the first time at age 12 is was at that moment I wanted to play guitar, write music and be a rock muscian. I loved the scene in BTLS when the gutarist from Metalica talked about La Villa and how it affected him.....it was exactly how I felt as well.

Exactly.

Great points. I loved that scene with Kirk Hammett also. I'm glad that Alex is getting the recognition he certainly deserves. As I said in the original post, he's way better than many usually placed above him in the "polls."

One reason Beyond the Lighted Stage is so awesome: all those legendary musicians raving about how much of inspiration those three are. When you combine that with the RRHOF induction, you get a big "f**k you Jann Wenner" what a prick...

Evrything would sound like Counterparts and we'd all be annoyed that they never really developed.

Evrything would sound like Counterparts and we'd all be annoyed that they never really developed.

That's possible but I have a feeling they would have experimented in other directions. If they hadn't added keyboards they might've been another guitarist or something.

Easily one of if not the most underrated guitarists of all time. I find that folks who are overly impressed by showy playing tend to not be musicians themselves. Technically he's well beyond the point where a competent musician needs to be at. Most importantly his sense for musicality is about as keen as it gets. He's the rare kind of highly capable rock guitarist that knows when and how to be sparse. His atmospheric playing is truly some of the best around. Plus he has a unique way of voicing that's distinctly his own.

Drums are my main instrument and everyone always goes on about Neil ... Don't get me wrong, he's a monster talent, but Alex is the key component that draws me in the most.

Edited by Devour
  • Like 2

Now kinda overrated. dude hasn't played anything worth remembering in a while.

Are you being facetious, or have you never heard Headlong Flight? :huh:
  • Like 3

Terribly underrated. If Alex had more of an ego, perhaps he would get more notoriety. He always tries to play within the constraints of the song. When he wants to strut his stuff, he can certainly scorch up a fret board...cough...cough...La Villa, Analog Kid, Free Will....cough...cough.
  • Like 2

He serves the song first, and shows off later, if at all. He's the consummate team player, allowing Geddy and Neil the freedom to grab the technical spotlight time and again. He wants to write great songs, whether or not he ends up standing out technically.

the ability to do this is also a talent and gift, and how many great rock players do you know that have it? not too many and certainly not either of the other guys in Rush!

• Like 1

I sometimes think Alex Lifeson's reputation is warranted. He's not particularly innovative or original, but incredibly adept at playing what's perfect for the song, whether providing atmosphere or a shredding solo.
  • Like 4

I sometimes think Alex Lifeson's reputation is warranted. He's not particularly innovative or original, but incredibly adept at playing what's perfect for the song, whether providing atmosphere or a shredding solo.

It just goes to show ya. I don't know what exactly you're looking for in terms of innovation, but I think he's one of the most unique and innovative players out there. Even in the Working Man solo I hear licks that I've never heard anyone else play - granted, I haven't heard everyone, but I think he's a giant talent in pretty much all categories.

• Like 2

It just goes to show ya. I don't know what exactly you're looking for in terms of innovation, but I think he's one of the most unique and innovative players out there. Even in the Working Man solo I hear licks that I've never heard anyone else play - granted, I haven't heard everyone, but I think he's a giant talent in pretty much all categories.

I love Alex's playing. I just hear him displaying his influences on his sleeve.

If everything sounded like CP we'd be saying the band isn't very good.

• Like 2

If everything sounded like CP we'd be saying the band isn't very good.

True but when it came out I'm pretty sure everyone was saying "Thank God Rush got their balls re-attached"

They need to bring Terry in for one more album. I'd love to see what they would put out after a 30+ year separation.

• Like 1

Just been listening to The Camera Eye, the guitar solo is amazing! Been thinking on this, others may disagree; Moving Pictures has awesome soloing, Signals does. Grace Under Pressure not so apart from Kid Gloves. Power Windows has some incredible solos then after that on Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones the guitar solos tend to disappear. Edited by tas7
  • Like 1

In the 70's/early 80's underrated.

Now kinda overrated. dude hasn't played anything worth remembering in a while.

I disagree. Once again, I feel quite fortunate that I'm not being chased away by the alleged headache-inducing brickwalling of Clockwork Angels; I'm still loving the album and cheerfully fixing all of Lifeson's great playing into my long-term memory.

Cheers to you. Rock on. :cheers:

See fan boys. that was the appropriate reaction, lol

Mick

Is it fan boy or fan boi? I think I have seen both... :huh: :)

Depends how many eyes you want to see bleeding

Alex is probably the most under-rated guitarist of all time. I've never understood why guys like Steve Vai or Joe Perry received the attention they did ... they're extraordinary players to be sure, but also fairly limited in their approach. Look back over Rush's catalogue and consider how many different styles Alex plays, it's just mind boggling. I honestly believe he's one of the most creative players yet, and would certainly put him in the top 5.

I've been playing guitar for about 35 years. I can play along note-for-note with many of the all-time greats. Lifeson ... not so much. There are so many subtle nuances to his playing that are almost impossible to replicate. He truly is on a level of his own.

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 1