Is Alex underrated or overrated?

Captain Avatar

Alex is KING.

Is, or was? Digging Clockwork Angels seems to be frowned upon by some folks :huh: so is this "long live the king" solely on the basis of past glory? I'm certainly willing to recognize his royalty on the basis of Xanadu, La Villa, Freewill, etc. but this fanboy or boi (or whatever) thinks he still rips out some pretty killer stuff. :)

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Alex is KING.

Is, or was? Digging Clockwork Angels seems to be frowned upon by some folks :huh: so is this "long live the king" solely on the basis of past glory? I'm certainly willing to recognize his royalty on the basis of Xanadu, La Villa, Freewill, etc. but this fanboy or boi (or whatever) thinks he still rips out some pretty killer stuff. :)

I fixed my post just for you, toymaker. :)

Edited by Lorraine

Utterly underrated. It's sad how much Lifeson is overlooked by those dumb ass industry polls and lists (cough Rolling Stone cough).

The dude's right up there with the greats....EVH, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Vaughn, and so on. It's the whole shadow of the bigger beast, I guess.

• Like 1

Alex is KING.

Sigh. I feel more alone in my fanboydom. I guess I should stop being so obsessed . . .

:Alex: :rush: :Neil: :rush: :geddy:

• Like 3

Alex is KING.

Sigh. I feel more alone in my fanboydom. I guess I should stop being so obsessed . . .

Now you are talking! :ebert:

Alex is KING.

they're just a band man, lol Turn off your mind relax and float down stream.

oh wrong band.

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Underrated.

Yes, he (and the entire band) are finally getting some well deserved love and attention, but his body of work speaks for itself. The sheer variety of sounds and styles Rush has created over the decades speaks, I think, to Alex' talent.

And, I have said it before, but if I have to describe Alex' style in one word, it is "emotional". He has a way of making you feel a song. Another mainstream guy I can think of that comes close to that emotional style in McCready.

Alex Lifeson is one of the most important and influential guitarists. I call him 'The Bridge' between old school; Hendrix, Page, Townsend etc and shredders; Vai, Satriani and Van Halen etc. Also he is king of the arpeggios.
  • Like 2

Alex Lifeson is one of the most important and influential guitarists. I call him 'The Bridge' between old school; Hendrix, Page, Townsend etc and shredders; Vai, Satriani and Van Halen etc. Also he is king of the arpeggios.

I like this post! :)

I think Alex is generally overrated by Rush fans and generally underrated by non-Rush fans

isn't that the case with everything rush-related?

in before "alex is as important as hendrix." oh shit...

• Like 2

In the 70's/early 80's underrated.

Now kinda overrated. dude hasn't played anything worth remembering in a while.

I think I understand the spirit of this post. Alex's playing continues to be nuanced and technically interesting, but there isn't necessarily an attention to melody, at least in a sense of making the melody accessible to the audience. The result is what you describe. It's not very memorable. There are moments of course, with an album like Snakes and Arrows being a good example of this phenomenon.
  • Like 2

I think I understand the spirit of this post. Alex's playing continues to be nuanced and technically interesting, but there isn't necessarily an attention to melody, at least in a sense of making the melody accessible to the audience. The result is what you describe. It's not very memorable. There are moments of course, with an album like Snakes and Arrows being a good example of this phenomenon.

To much Layering and texture-ing for my taste now......i understand he's older.........but it's kinda blah now. although he did shred nicely on Headlong Flight.

Mick

Each member is my favorite player in their respective instruments. Geddy is my favorite bass player, Neil my favorite drummer, and Alex my favorite guitar player. He has the emotion of David Gilmour yet is also quite technical too. Great great players all 3

To much Layering and texture-ing for my taste now.....

Agreed.
  • Like 1

He is so so so underrated. He lacks a lot of the precision he used to have live, but it kind of fits the bands newer live style (and still sounds awesome). But in the studio, the man is a complete MASTER of his craft. The fact that he could turn out the solo in "The Garden" (probably his best solo since Limelight) this late in their career should cement him as one of the all time greats.
  • Like 3