Styx: What's your opinion?

treeduck

STYX what's your take?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. STYX what's your take?

• 1 They're good, I have their three best albums, Pieces, Equinox, Illusion
    • 2 I like one or two songs of theirs, the rest I avoid
    • 3 They're a great, great band. I have all their albums, all are good.
    • 4 I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank
    • 5 I hate Styx, they suck, they should be called STYNX, de Young is a clown
    • 6 I've not heard anything by them, and I don't think I'd like them
    • 7 This is a band that passed me by, I have no opinion on them at all
    • 8 I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there
    • 9 I like Styx a little, musically, but I hate De young's vocals
    • 10 I used to like them but now I find them hard to listen to
    • 11 I used to hate them, I got into them recently but I'm no Styx freak
    • 12 I've never heard of Styx but maybe I'll check them out one day

I always liked them . Some great stuff in the 70's and early 80's

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 8 2011, 12:07 PM)
any doubters that they were once a really good band need to go here.

Born For Adventure

Agree 100%. My all-time favorite Styx tune (and I liked most of it up to Roboto).

For those of you that hate REO, try the album R.E.O. T.W.O. (their second album obviously). It was Cronin's first with the band and he hadn't discovered the cheese yet. Oh, and if you're breakin' up with someone, Time For Me To Fly is always a good choice (but not as good as Miss Misery by Nazareth).

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2011, 07:57 AM)
Can't believe I'm the only one that voted #10.

I just did.

I was seriously into them when I was a pre-teen and in my early teens, but I got over them pretty quickly. Nothing good came from them after Paradise Theater anyway, and that wasn't really that great, imo. They're one of those bands that had a lot of potential, but just became silly instead. In the same way REO Speedwagon did, actually. We should start a thread on them. They were my pre-Rush fav. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ May 11 2011, 05:16 AM)

Born For Adventure

Agree 100%. My all-time favorite Styx tune (and I liked most of it up to Roboto).

For those of you that hate REO, try the album R.E.O. T.W.O. (their second album obviously). It was Cronin's first with the band and he hadn't discovered the cheese yet. Oh, and if you're breakin' up with someone, Time For Me To Fly is always a good choice (but not as good as Miss Misery by Nazareth).

I think Nine Lives is a good REO album, too.

I like it a little better than You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish but not as much as High Infidelity, which is probably the MP of REO Speedwagon. laugh.gif

(Loooooove REO Speedwagon. I look everywhere for a good forum but never can find any. :C

They were the first good concert I ever went to.)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 11 2011, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ May 11 2011, 05:16 AM)

Born For Adventure

I think Nine Lives is a good REO album, too.

I like it a little better than You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish but not as much as High Infidelity, which is probably the MP of REO Speedwagon. laugh.gif

(Loooooove REO Speedwagon. I look everywhere for a good forum but never can find any. :C

They were the first good concert I ever went to.)

I still have my vinyl of Nine Lives. Silliest, most awkward album cover in history! laugh.gif

I used to like them for a while in the 70s but quickly tired of them. Too overblown and De Young's vocals make me want to hurl.

Prefer Cartman's version of Come Sail Away anyday.

I voted number 1. All three of those albums are AMAZING. Favorite album, Pieces of Eight 1022.gif Just saw them on tour in 2010. They played the WHOLE PoE and Illusion albums. That show ROCKED 1022.gif Long live Styx!

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 12 2011, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2011, 07:57 AM)
Can't believe I'm the only one that voted #10.

I just did.

I was seriously into them when I was a pre-teen and in my early teens, but I got over them pretty quickly. Nothing good came from them after Paradise Theater anyway, and that wasn't really that great, imo. They're one of those bands that had a lot of potential, but just became silly instead. In the same way REO Speedwagon did, actually. We should start a thread on them. They were my pre-Rush fav. ph34r.gif

Back when they came out with Mr.Roboto I thought it was crap. 10 years after that I thought it was even worse. Looking back on their stuff that I thought was good prior to Roboto, it just sounds extremely cheesy to me now. Stuff like The Beatles, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, and Bob Dylan just never seem to lose that quality no matter how old it really is. Styx (unfortunately for me) couldn't hold on to it.

Thought I'd bring this thread back to the top since I just downed a fine video of these guys from The Grand Illusion tour filmed at The Winterland in San Francisco on Jan. 28, 1978. I saw these guys on this tour (with Head East opening who were EXCELLENT by the way) right around this same time. In fact I saw them in Boise and I know it was in early '78 so since both cities are on the west coast, I assume the 2 shows were likely within weeks if not days of each other. It is the only time I ever saw them and the setlist was a wonderful mix of stuff from GI, Crystal Ball and my personal favorite album of theirs, Equinox. As mentioned, unfortunately I never saw them afterwards and would have loved to see the Pieces of Eight tour. Anyway, over the years I've recollected on the show and had some impressions that were finally verified when I watched this. First of all, James Young is a wonderful guitarist and Tommy Shaw ain't chopped liver either. Secondly, Dennis DeYoung is a wonderful singer. In fact he, Shaw and Young all were very good vocalists. Musically the band were spot on too. My only negetive rememberance was that they seemed overly dramatic, playing to the audience far too much and man was I right on. Good Lord they bordered on being complete posers for heaven's sake. I don't know, maybe it was the times but to me the only over the top guy I've ever been able to tolerate is Freddie Mercury and these guys should've been a bit more "straight" or serious in their stage personas IMO.

As for the video, it's B&W which is the norm for any of the boots from The Winterland around this time. And like the rest, it's a bit dark but a nice picture and nice audio. It's comparable to the Rush Passaic boot in terms of quality I suppose. Overall, a worthy addition to my collection and nice to have a record of the time I saw them.

Oh, and one other thing......the clothes are brutal, especially DeYoung's polyester jump suit. doh.gif

God we wore some ugly assed shit in the late 70s. 062802puke_prv.gif

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jun 26 2011, 08:46 PM)
One of the best live bands I've seen. They put on a great show!

This.

The recent tour when they played Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight live was awesome. smile.gif

I just caught them this weekend on VH1 playing with , what looked like , a High School orchestra. They had some decent, catchy tunes, but are too cheesy for my taste.

I lump them in with Foreigner, REO speedwagon and Journey...bland, unadventurous radio rock, but with pretty solid musicians.

They have a few great songs, they have some good songs, they have a decent amount of alright songs. They also have a lot of songs I haven't heard yet as I've only heard their greatest hits. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2011, 10:11 PM)
I just caught them this weekend on VH1 playing with , what looked like , a High School orchestra. They had some decent, catchy tunes, but are too cheesy for my taste.

I lump them in with Foreigner, REO speedwagon and Journey...bland, unadventurous radio rock, but with pretty solid musicians.

Foreigner were a f***ing good band mate...

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2011, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2011, 10:11 PM)

Foreigner were a f***ing good band mate...

1022.gif

I liked the first Foreigner album a lot, the next several some but once they got to the "I Wanna Know What Love Is" stage, it became "UGH, no thanks!!!".

Saw them 2nd on the bill to Heart in like '77 when they only had the first album out. Also saw them in like '84 or '85 and reunited in '01 I believe it was. They sounded very good all 3Xs and especially liked the show in '77.