Styx: What's your opinion?

treeduck

STYX what's your take?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. STYX what's your take?

• 1 They're good, I have their three best albums, Pieces, Equinox, Illusion
    • 2 I like one or two songs of theirs, the rest I avoid
    • 3 They're a great, great band. I have all their albums, all are good.
    • 4 I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank
    • 5 I hate Styx, they suck, they should be called STYNX, de Young is a clown
    • 6 I've not heard anything by them, and I don't think I'd like them
    • 7 This is a band that passed me by, I have no opinion on them at all
    • 8 I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there
    • 9 I like Styx a little, musically, but I hate De young's vocals
    • 10 I used to like them but now I find them hard to listen to
    • 11 I used to hate them, I got into them recently but I'm no Styx freak
    • 12 I've never heard of Styx but maybe I'll check them out one day

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 5 2011, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 09:16 AM)
It's a bit akin to dismissing Kiss because their three biggest U.S. hits were two ballads (Beth and Forever) and a disco tune (I Was Made For Lovin' You)...and summarily labeling them a disco/soft rock outfit.

Wrong.

I agree. There's many more good reasons to dismiss Kiss than those.tongue.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i7IqN0dMk7g/S3C_9N-FrHI/AAAAAAAAEXs/11cmYmAuyK0/s400/GolfClap.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 5 2011, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 09:16 AM)
It's a bit akin to dismissing Kiss because their three biggest U.S. hits were two ballads (Beth and Forever) and a disco tune (I Was Made For Lovin' You)...and summarily labeling them a disco/soft rock outfit.

Wrong.

I agree. There's many more good reasons to dismiss Kiss than those.tongue.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i7IqN0dMk7g/S3C_9N-FrHI/AAAAAAAAEXs/11cmYmAuyK0/s400/GolfClap.gif

wink.gif

Well the first couple of albums and Alive were pretty good...............

Their reputation is largely based on their hits like Come Sail Away- although I enjoy some of their material from that era simply as a matter of nostalgia (harkening back to the days when I listened to classic rock radio all the time), the era that I enjoy the most is the earliest-- especially the wooden nickel recordings. They quite literally sound like a different band.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 22 2012, 04:14 PM)
Their reputation is largely based on their hits like Come Sail Away- although I enjoy some of their material from that era simply as a matter of nostalgia (harkening back to the days when I listened to classic rock radio all the time), the era that I enjoy the most is the earliest-- especially the wooden nickel recordings. They quite literally sound like a different band.

yes.gif The Wooden Nickel albums are great, especially Styx I. 1022.gif

I saw them open for Yes this summer and they blew them away. Yes should have been the opener . They are a much Heavier band without Peter Pan in the band .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 23 2012, 03:24 PM)
I saw them open for Yes this summer and they blew them away. Yes should have been the opener . They are a much Heavier band without Peter Pan in the band .

Yes were better in Indy , but from what I hear from people that went to other shows ,they said Indy was one of the best Yes performances on the tour.

It seems I just got lucky. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jan 23 2012, 03:59 PM)

Yes were better in Indy , but from what I hear from people that went to other shows ,they said Indy was one of the best Yes performances on the tour.

Bastard

1022.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jan 23 2012, 03:59 PM)

Indianapolis?

Verizon Music Center?

I was there and Styx blew Yes away! unsure.gif

What so many younger (ugh) fans don't realize is context. If you turned on your radio (huh whu?!?) and heard Lorelei or Light Up for the first time back in the day you'd know what I'm sayin'.It WAS/IS rippin'!!!!!!!!!Stellar clean crisp production and spot on harmonies. Rush, Yes , Genesis all have their quieter moments and that's all dine and fandy so let's cut this AMERICAN band a break. BTW, yep i LOVE'S EM'!Castle Wall's anybody??? cheer.gif Edited by MassProductionZone

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 22 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 22 2012, 04:14 PM)

yes.gif The Wooden Nickel albums are great, especially Styx I. 1022.gif

The Serpent is Rising, maaaaan

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jan 22 2012, 04:39 PM)
Their hits are good and I have a number of their albums from the 70's and 80's.

Not much in the way of good "deep cuts" however.  I have seen them a number of times live and have always enjoyed them live.  Yes, I would spend my hard earned cash to see them again.

Styx actually have a number of very good-great "deep cuts". You should really check out the following tunes:

Mother Dear

Born For Adventure

Man In The Wilderness

Castle Walls (outside of their Wooden Nickel albums, likely the most prog they ever sounded)

I'm OK

Queen Of Spades

Pieces Of Eight/Aku Aku (absolutely fantastic album closer)

Love In The Midnight (from their Cornerstone album which was pretty hit and miss, but this Tommy Shaw tune is pretty darn good!)

I'm likely missing some, but Styx are a far more musically varied band than people think, and they are so much more than the hits everyone knows them for. Great band and would love to see them again!!

EDIT: Their new concert DVD/Blu-Ray is set to be released on the 31st of January, taken from the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis on their Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight show they did in 2010. I'm looking forward to picking it up, the clips I have seen from shows on You Tube have been fantastic with the band in top form. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Edited by bigman208

I forgot about that DVD. I'm picking it up for sure!

As for deep cuts, some of my favorites are I'm Okay, Man In the Wilderness, Midnight Ride, Half Penny Two Penny, Shooz, Mademoiselle, and Borrowed Time. I also love Cyclorama.

I saw the last half of the ice skating thing. It was extremely cheesy but the band was great.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 24 2012, 06:15 PM)
I forgot about that DVD. I'm picking it up for sure!

As for deep cuts, some of my favorites are I'm Okay, Man In the Wilderness, Midnight Ride, Half Penny Two Penny, Shooz, Mademoiselle, and Borrowed Time. I also love Cyclorama.

I saw the last half of the ice skating thing. It was extremely cheesy but the band was great.

No secret, I've got that DVD on preorder. It was a very good show, wish I could have seen it more than once.

A lot of good deep cuts mentioned in all of these posts, their catalog is much deeper than the casual listener is aware of.

Castle Walls and Queen of Spades were very well done on this tour.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 24 2012, 09:48 PM)
Their music is like a sugary, sweet concoction that annoyingly Styx to the back of my throat

Wow Lang the Stella is making me see things.

I thought you wrote "like surgery."

I was thinking it was more like breathing in that orange nitrous oxide mist before getting a tooth drilled.

I hate that feeling of floating when getting drilled and the sugary saliva goes down the back of your throat.

I love STYX. Well up to "Paradise Theatre."

Signed,

"Snowblind"

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jan 24 2012, 06:41 PM)
A new Styx DVD? Cool. Will be looking to buy it when it comes out.

It's out Today, got mine 1022.gif

Styx is a band i should love whole heatedly. but i don't.

Great as some albums are.......deYoung kills it for me.

Mick

Yeah, he's pure cabaret. Some great songs mangled by his parrotting.

i tell this a lot. but i saw him as Pilate in Jesus Christ Superstar..............Gayest thing i've seen, lol

he's up there with professtional actors. And Deyoung thought it was styx show.

Fired shortly after i saw it, lol

Mick

• Like 1