Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I saw Dream Theater once.  They were ok.  Their drummer is (fill in the blank). 

Edited by Krystal

At this stage in their career I think I'd be more excited to see Devin. LaBrie is really running out of gas live.

The last two studio albums have been somewhat of a career renaissance, though. Some of their absolute BEST.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Analog Cub said:

At this stage in their career I think I'd be more excited to see Devin. LaBrie is really running out of gas live.

The last two studio albums have been somewhat of a career renaissance, though. Some of their absolute BEST.

He did very well when I saw them last year. Even on 6:00!

but regardless of the injury and historical issues many fans have had with him, I do think his age is now showing.

10 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Distance Over Time is my favourite DT album alongside Awake. The last one was spectacular as well. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 10:30 PM, The Analog Cub said:

I'm very torn if I want to see this tour just to see Animals as Leaders/Devin Townsend. I should check out the two later albums though. I fell off hard after The Astonishing

4 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I'm very torn if I want to see this tour just to see Animals as Leaders/Devin Townsend. I should check out the two later albums though. I fell off hard after The Astonishing

You spelled that wong it's "Asstonishing"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

You spelled that wong it's "Asstonishing"

Few albums make me stop listening altogether. Super Collider by Megadeth comes to mind. Though Dystopia and TSTD&TD brought me back

Edited by Union 5-3992

9 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Few albums make me stop listening altogether. Super Collider by Megadeth comes to mind. Though Dystopia and TSTD&TD brought me back

Both bands are deep enough into their careers that it will take more than one bad album to get me to stop listening to them. They would have to drop a series of bad ones but I don't think either band has enough time left for that to happen.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:45 PM, Union 5-3992 said:

They are both simply amazing.....really....you should listen to them. Lot’s of fantastic material on them.

We got 10th row dead center in Hollywood at the Hard Rock for this show.

I am very curious what kind of set list they will roll out.....I am only expecting 1:45 minutes of music with 2 openers.....so I really hope they carefully select some epics with some great new tunes from the post Portnoy era. Maybe one epic to start the show and one to end it.....and play many great songs in between.....they have so much to choose from now post Portnoy. 

On 4/23/2023 at 5:36 PM, Todem said:

They are both simply amazing.....really....you should listen to them. Lot’s of fantastic material on them.

We got 10th row dead center in Hollywood at the Hard Rock for this show.

I am very curious what kind of set list they will roll out.....I am only expecting 1:45 minutes of music with 2 openers.....so I really hope they carefully select some epics with some great new tunes from the post Portnoy era. Maybe one epic to start the show and one to end it.....and play many great songs in between.....they have so much to choose from now post Portnoy. 

They don't really even need to play any Portnoy songs at this point but I'm sure there will be a few choice cuts to round out the set. I'm glad their focus is usually always focused on the recent material. They've always had that "What would Rush do" mindset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ytserush said:

They don't really even need to play any Portnoy songs at this point but I'm sure there will be a few choice cuts to round out the set. I'm glad their focus is usually always focused on the recent material. They've always had that "What would Rush do" mindset.

I think they figured it out pretty quick from how little they wanted to keep playing Pull Me Under every show, despite it being their only real hit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think they figured it out pretty quick from how little they wanted to keep playing Pull Me Under every show, despite it being their only real hit.

Take The Time and Another Day were also hits. But since Pull Me Under was released first and charted the highest that's the one that always gets mentioned. Kind of like how Epic is the only song you ever hear about from Faith No More even though they had a few other hits after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Take The Time and Another Day were also hits. But since Pull Me Under was released first and charted the highest that's the one that always gets mentioned. Kind of like how Epic is the only song you ever hear about from Faith No More even though they had a few other hits after that.

I mean, their "greatest hits" album is literally called "Greatest Hit...and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs," so I think I have a bit of backing to my argument as well! Lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean, their "greatest hits" album is literally called "Greatest Hit...and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs," so I think I have a bit of backing to my argument as well! Lol

That was my first DT album.

Picked it up for £5 in a supermarket of all places (in the UK, supermarkets only ever sold pop albums. Coldplay is normally as rock as it got)

• Like 1

It's worth mentioning that Pull Me Under was probably one of the heavier and most unique/proggy songs to hit mainstream radio since probably early/mid 1970s when prog was a bit more popular overall.  It immediately got my attention and I was a fan pretty much from that moment in time, despite not being much of a fan of metal yet.  Thinking back, DT might be the reason I even listen to metal now.  My gateway band into metal.  [going back a few more years, "Epic" as previously mentioned might be the only other "in your face/weird" mainstream song prior to Pull Me Under, but Faith No More was never purely a metal or prog band so their success seemed more fitting]

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 12:16 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dream Theater really isn't about hits. They just do what they do even though they've mostly stayed in their comfort zone for a while now.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rod in Toronto said:

I have a chat with Mike Mangini on Friday...does anyone have questions for him?

What's it like having all that octopus DNA?  

Edited by grep
  • Haha 2

But seriously - can we ask him how he writes his parts?  Like, how does he interact with Myung as the Rhythm Section when it comes to writing?  Also, during his tenure has the bad ever written anything that started as a drum or a bass and drum part? Will Petrucci and Rudess alter sections or timing to allow his stuff to breathe or add to the overall flow of a part ?

Also, as a band do they ever hang out and jam or improvise just for he hell of it? Or is their interaction as a band more about writing then rehearsing and playing the material? AKA: All business.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2