Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

1 hour ago, ytserush said:

This is Dream Theater announcing their retirement without Dream Theater announcing their retirement. Was a lot more shocked  a few days ago than I was in 2010. Don't much care about this one way or the other. Whatever works.

I was surprised when Charlie got fired, but understood after hearing him live. I was gutted when Kevin Moore left, but understood after hearing Chroma Key. I was over the moon when Derek got dumped and Jordan joined the band. Mike Mangini was the right drummer for the band in 2010 even though I'd have preferred Marco.

I'm hoping for something ground breaking but I probably shouldn't be. I doubt there's going to be a paradigm shift at this point. Portnoy probably adds another $50 to my next Dream Theater ticket.

the most you can hope for is i think a return to something closer to Systematic Chaos (which i hate) but if your a fan this news should thrill yoiu.

and for people getting excited about rotating sets lists these guys are like 60 how much rotating you think a lot of em would be willing to do, lol

Mick

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

the most you can hope for is i think a return to something closer to Systematic Chaos (which i hate) but if your a fan this news should thrill yoiu.

and for people getting excited about rotating sets lists these guys are like 60 how much rotating you think a lot of em would be willing to do, lol

Mick

I saw an interview with James where he admitted he can't sing the stuff off Images and Words too well anymore. It kind of came off like he didn't want to sing those songs now. With Portnoy back there's probably no way they don't play something off that. I'm guessing he probably can't do much of anything off Awake, Scenes or Six Degrees too well anymore either. It will be interesting to see the set selections. I don't think rotating the sets is happening this time around.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I saw an interview with James where he admitted he can't sing the stuff off Images and Words too well anymore. It kind of came off like he didn't want to sing those songs now. With Portnoy back there's probably no way they don't play something off that. I'm guessing he probably can't do much of anything off Awake, Scenes or Six Degrees too well anymore either. It will be interesting to see the set selections. I don't think rotating the sets is happening this time around.

There are times listening to Awake, my face DT, where I wonder if he could sing the material even then 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

There are times listening to Awake, my face DT, where I wonder if he could sing the material even then 🤣

James was a great singer.  this urban legend that he was never one irkes me to no end, lol

Food poisoning did fukk him up though.

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Wasn't that around the time he ruptured his vocal chords when he had a very bad bout of food poisoning? His voice was completely f***ed on that tour.

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Wasn't that around the time he ruptured his vocal chords when he had a very bad bout of food poisoning? His voice was completely f***ed on that tour.

i think i heard him say he recorded the album healthy.  it happened on the tour.

but like really someone try to sing the awake album.......i'll wait.

i'm not kidding the bashing gets me, lol

Mick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

James was a great singer.  this urban legend that he was never one irkes me to no end, lol

Food poisoning did fukk him up though.

Mick

It was just me joking because that album in particular has some crazy high notes that I think are far more ambitious than anyone gives him credit for.

HOWEVER YOU CAN SHUT UP MR "I HATE THE SINGING IN QUEENSRYCHE" YA BIATCH

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It was just me joking because that album in particular has some crazy high notes that I think are far more ambitious than anyone gives him credit for.

i'd like to correct you AGAIN because you ignore details:laugh:

I never said Tate was a bad singer not once.  just that i don't like what he does.

Difference bitch, lol

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Voices might be his best vocal performance.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2023 at 9:36 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Voices might be his best vocal performance.

Also one of his worse for understand WTF he's singing.

When I think of it, there's a few tracks on Awake that fit this description.  But it's still my favorite DT album.  I wouldn't want James to sing the songs any other way, it's operatic and fits the material on the album perfectly.  He's an underrated singer, most bash him because he's not metal.  DT is a prog band ffs.  Is he my favorite thing about DT?  Definitely not, but he's as much a part of DT's sound as the shredding.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stoopid said:

Also one of his worse for understand WTF he's signing.

When I think of it, there's a few tracks on Awake that fit this description.  But it's still my favorite DT album.  I wouldn't want James to sign the songs any other way, it's operatic and fits the material on the album perfectly.  He's an underrated singer, most bash him because he's not metal.  DT is a prog band ffs.  Is he my favorite thing about DT?  Definitely not, but he's as much a part of DT's sound as the shredding.

his diction on awake sucks in general....lol

i still don't understand the high parts in Innocence Faded:wtf:

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

his diction on awake sucks in general....lol

i still don't understand the high parts in Innocence Faded:wtf:

Mick

You are not alone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

The lyrics are:

wearing apathetic displays
Sharing flesh like envy in cages
Condescending
Not intending to end

Pfft, who needs lyrics when we have imagination.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

and i'm STILL not sure he says that.:laugh:

Mick

As much as I love Awake...glad I'm not alone 🤣

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 4:44 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

At the very least I'm hoping for more hooks and melody.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ytserush said:

At the very least I'm hoping for more hooks and melody.

And honestly the Mangini era was the best for this since the nineties. Maybe ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

And honestly the Mangini era was the best for this since the nineties. Maybe ever.

i'm worried will be thrown back to the late MP era of long songs with little point like SC and black clouds i know you like that one but to me that one's the biggest culprit of all.

i only like one song on it.

Mick

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm worried will be thrown back to the late MP era of long songs with little point like SC and black clouds i know you like that one but to me that one's the biggest culprit of all.

i only like one song on it.

Mick

Oh don't get me wrong, i love BC but truth be told, whilst other albums really got better in time, I don't see that one as a classic. Personal fave, yes. Is it one of their best? No, not remotely. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Segue Myles said:

Oh don't get me wrong, i love BC but truth be told, whilst other albums really got better in time, I don't see that one as a classic. Personal fave, yes. Is it one of their best? No, not remotely. 

Don't really dig the first two songs A Nightmare To Remember and A Rite Of Passage but I really dig the rest of it and the bonus disc. But again, this album doesn't push the Dream Theater envelope very far.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, Segue Myles said:

That's exactly how I feel about Black Clouds.  It's good, enjoyable for me, but objectively nothing new or ground breaking.  I've not listened to it in quite a while as a result.