Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 21 2011, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 19 2011, 07:15 PM)
Off topic, but is anyone else a member of Dreamtheaterforums.org? I just joined (same username as here) but I'm waiting for the admin to confirm my account.

can't stand DTF. Maybe they've changed in recent years, but my memory of them is a bunch of perpetually fellating fanboys who adamantly love every millisecond of everything Dream Theater related (in fact I believe there was even a rule saying that you weren't allowed to say anything bad about the band or its output -- where's the fun in discussion if everyone's agreeing with each other?).

I was IP banned about 3-4 years ago after receiving three warnings, one for a "personal attack" (can't remember what I said but it certainly didn't justify the accusation), and two for simply MENTIONING that i downloaded whatever was the new porcupine tree album at the time (fear of a blank planet?) -- not even mentioning any sources.

It's not quite as bad as mike portnoy's forums were (again, i haven't been there in a long long time, and i know that Weymolith quit so that probably changed a lot of things). I suppose it's a good source of information and news about the band, but there are much better places in terms of discussion. Dream Theater fans are some of the most annoying people on the internet.

It's a decent board. I post occasionally. But, like on most boards, I read/lurk much more than I post.

There certainly is a faction of DT internet fans who are intolerable but no better or worse than other internet prog snob. They're harmless for the most part. They certainly have much more free time to post and dissect every minutia of DT, Porcupine Tree, Symphony X and ever obscure prog metal band I've never heard of.

BTW, I'm still loving the new album as much as the day it came out.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 21 2011, 03:02 AM)
Off topic, but is anyone else a member of Dreamtheaterforums.org? I just joined (same username as here) but I'm waiting for the admin to confirm my account.

can't stand DTF. Maybe they've changed in recent years, but my memory of them is a bunch of perpetually fellating fanboys who adamantly love every millisecond of everything Dream Theater related (in fact I believe there was even a rule saying that you weren't allowed to say anything bad about the band or its output -- where's the fun in discussion if everyone's agreeing with each other?).

I was IP banned about 3-4 years ago after receiving three warnings, one for a "personal attack" (can't remember what I said but it certainly didn't justify the accusation), and two for simply MENTIONING that i downloaded whatever was the new porcupine tree album at the time (fear of a blank planet?) -- not even mentioning any sources.

It's not quite as bad as mike portnoy's forums were (again, i haven't been there in a long long time, and i know that Weymolith quit so that probably changed a lot of things). I suppose it's a good source of information and news about the band, but there are much better places in terms of discussion. Dream Theater fans are some of the most annoying people on the internet.

That doesn't describe DTF by any stretch of the imagination. Never has. I have been a part of dt.net/DTF since 2000 and the fans there have never been shy to criticize the band's music. In fact, the dt.net message board years ago was shut down BECAUSE Mike Portnoy thought the fans there were too critical of the band, which is why it was then resurrected by several as DTF, which is now the unofficial message board of the band's.

I have never been to the DTF and don't plan on it. The M.P. forum is a joke. The jackass that runs/ran it confused13.gif needs a slap . I was on that site years ago and i called Ted Nugent an AssHole for talking shit about a dead person [Dimebag] I got an e-mail saying " You have been Banned for rule #10077 "or some shit like that.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 20 2011, 07:41 AM)

I am a member. Its an ok board. Lot of young folk that don't particularly care for me. atickhum.gif

The old fogeys like me.

Screw'em !

This is your home. trink39.gif

So i read JLB is starting to write/record a new Solo album. Really ? The last one sold about 10 copies and d.t. came out with an album in Sept. Are they done touring? If they are , that is the shortest tour they have ever done

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 21 2011, 03:35 PM)
I have never been to the DTF and don't plan on it. The M.P. forum is a joke. The jackass that runs/ran it confused13.gif needs a slap . I was on that site years ago and i called Ted Nugent an AssHole for talking shit about a dead person [Dimebag] I got an e-mail saying " You have been Banned for rule #10077 "or some shit like that.

Yeah, I think that was Wey over there.... abuses his mod powers a bit too much.

I just hope they make mm an equal shareholder so they can create the best dt album to date. They've got wind in their sails now. I think they'll climb even higher on the next one if all five members contribute to the writing process.

Mp is an awesum drummer, but mm is right up there with jordan's level of musicianship, if it's possible for a drummer to be on that level of consciousness.

Can't wait for more dt!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 21 2011, 03:35 PM)

Uncle Tedly sucks and so does that webmaster for blowing the whistle on putting ted in his place. Thanks for doing so.... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was thinking about this the other day but isn't Mangini also an awesome singer? I think he did backups for Extreme, can he do the backups that Portnoy did for DT stuff now too?*

The only live stuff I've seen from them in 2011 has James or Petrucci singing. And say what you will about MP's vocals, he does add a lot to their songs when he sings backup.

*Excluding NIGHTMARE GROWLS I suppose.

I actually just defected here from DTF. Seems that my crime is having a sense of humor. I was openly critical of a few DT albums and used some over-the-top humor to illustrate my points. The mods seem to have a Shoot First Ask Questions Later mentality. They seem to automatically assume that anything derogatory is serious, and don't bother to assess the context to look for tongue-in-cheek or satire. I don't think it's so much a problem of them being anal as much as it is them being nerds who simply don't have the social skills to delineate actual trolling from joking around. I've been "banned" twice, only to have the ban retracted without comment because they realized after the fact that they were the only ones who didn't get the joke. I've kind of given up trying to discern how to post "properly" there because the rules seem to shift depending on the poster, and more often than not, the mood of the mod that day.

QUOTE (WildeSilas @ Jan 21 2012, 07:08 PM)
I actually just defected here from DTF. Seems that my crime is having a sense of humor. I was openly critical of a few DT albums and used some over-the-top humor to illustrate my points. The mods seem to have a Shoot First Ask Questions Later mentality. They seem to automatically assume that anything derogatory is serious, and don't bother to assess the context to look for tongue-in-cheek or satire. I don't think it's so much a problem of them being anal as much as it is them being nerds who simply don't have the social skills to delineate actual trolling from joking around. I've been "banned" twice, only to have the ban retracted without comment because they realized after the fact that they were the only ones who didn't get the joke. I've kind of given up trying to discern how to post "properly" there because the rules seem to shift depending on the poster, and more often than not, the mood of the mod that day.

Welcome here!

Making fun of DT is almost mendatoty here tongue.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 22 2012, 10:57 PM)
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive.../20/794536.aspx
Petrucci mentioned in this interview that they'll be playing in Asia and South America is the spring and may come back to the US in the summer.

I hope they do plan on another North American tour later this year since I didn't get a chance to see them this time. The tour was pretty short to from what I recall, so I can't see why they wouldn't do another one here.

Unless they change the setlist i will pass

I'm kind of glad that they keep the setlists the same. I know it sucks for people who see multiple shows, but I doubt that I'll ever see them more than one or twice each tour so I don't mind. If they had the rotating setlists I'd just be pissed off if they played my favorite songs on other dates and not at the show I was at. If I was able to go to 3+ shows then it would be different.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 23 2012, 04:09 PM)
Unless they change the setlist i will pass

Check out the changes they made for their show in Helsinki 1022.gif

http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/i...p?topic=24446.0

Honestly, when you compare it to the ones they did in the US, I would say the american audiences got boned big time.

Edited by J2112YYZ