Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Oct 19 2011, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 19 2011, 05:19 PM)

LaBrie...I do not like that airy Streisand-esque voice he uses in songs like Vacant and Far From Heaven...

Myung-How do you use so much amplification and high end speakers to achieve the most mundane sound on the planet. Furiuosly inventive lines that sit in the water and lack emotion...for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think he is extremely talented.

I REALLY see where you're going here...LaBrie just ruins a bunch of songs with his sappy vocals. And Myung is pretty good - if only he'd show a bit more INTEREST in the band and asked hat his bass sound was a bit higher in the mix...

I really like LaBrie's vocals. I know I'm in the minority but I think that his voice is the perfect fit for the band and I can't imagine anyone else singing their songs.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 19 2011, 07:37 PM)

LaBrie...I do not like that airy Streisand-esque voice he uses in songs like Vacant and Far From Heaven...

Myung-How do you use so much amplification and high end speakers to achieve the most mundane sound on the planet. Furiuosly inventive lines that sit in the water and lack emotion...for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think he is extremely talented.

I REALLY see where you're going here...LaBrie just ruins a bunch of songs with his sappy vocals. And Myung is pretty good - if only he'd show a bit more INTEREST in the band and asked hat his bass sound was a bit higher in the mix...

I really like LaBrie's vocals. I know I'm in the minority but I think that his voice is the perfect fit for the band and I can't imagine anyone else singing their songs.

How about Russel Allen: He'd do a kick ass job in DTs vocals!!

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Oct 19 2011, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 19 2011, 07:37 PM)

How about Russel Allen: He'd do a kick ass job in DTs vocals!!

He's a great singer but I can't picture him singing on their softer songs and ballads. He would sound awesome on their heavy stuff though. 1022.gif

I can't remember on which tour/album exactly, but at some point after Scenes From A Memory portnoy had a chat with James about improving his vocals or he'd be fired from the band.That may explain why they haven't had any contact after Mike left...

A Dramatic Turn Of Events still gets better with each and every listen. I can now say this is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums. 1022.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Oct 21 2011, 05:19 AM)
I can't remember on which tour/album exactly, but at some point after Scenes From A Memory portnoy had a chat with James about improving his vocals or he'd be fired from the band.That may explain why they haven't had any contact after Mike left...

i believe that was the six degrees tour. Portnoy has also openly bad-mouthed James' singing in public interviews and the like.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 21 2011, 09:19 AM)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events still gets better with each and every listen. I can now say this is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums. 1022.gif

Its fantastic top to bottom. Best since Scenes IMO. Was great to hear so much of it live this tour.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 21 2011, 03:26 PM)

Its fantastic top to bottom. Best since Scenes IMO. Was great to hear so much of it live this tour.

Agreed. Top 3 for me for DT.

Went to the show 5th row at Pompano Beach last night. They were flawless.

Just simply amazing. And James is sounding better than ever on the VOX.

John was tearing it up!! They look reborn on stage. They are all having fun and really enjoying themselves. It is quite obvious in seeing them the last 3 tours there was some very bad vibes going on between Mike, John and James.

They have moved on and I don't think Mike will ever play with them again.

It's over. And the new album and tour truly solidifies this. I thought it would be a one and done when the news first broke. I figured Mike would take a break and come back.

Wrong.

Mangini fits like a glove into this band. He is now a true member of Dream Theatre.

Yes, this one is ranking up there. Great release. I like how they have laid off the in your face I'm a metalhead sound and gotten back to a more Prog sound I liked on Awake and even I&W.

I've been out of internet for 2 weeks now, but Tick, please explain what the hell is up with your avatar?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 24 2011, 11:01 AM)

I've been out of internet for 2 weeks now, but Tick, please explain what the hell is up with your avatar?

Its for Halloween. Relax! It was meant to be creepy. Does it succeed?

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 24 2011, 10:02 AM)

I think she is Hot laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Oct 22 2011, 07:20 PM)

I agree. The only way Portnoy comes back is if Mangini leaves and i really don't see that happening

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 24 2011, 01:15 PM)

I agree. The only way Portnoy comes back is if Mangini leaves and i really don't see that happening

I'd say he's got a pretty good gig.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 24 2011, 12:18 PM)

yes.gif I would Kill for that gig

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 24 2011, 12:18 PM)

I don't know if you were able to watch the bonud dvd on the deluxe version of this cd but it was quite clear to me when Mike Mangini did his audition and talked about getting this "gig" he was very adament that this was not a "gig" for him. That he wanted to be accepted as a true member of the band from this point on if they chose him.

That passion helped seal the deal for him in the audtion process. It was so evident in his audition he was trying out to be a permanent member of this band.

I really gained a totally new perspective about what went down with Portnoy and the process Mike P and the rest of the band went through to replace Portnoy. It seemed like it was a long time coming and when Mike Portnoy told them he wanted an extended break.....Myung and Labrie pounced on this opportunity to replace Mike in the band. I think for Petrucci and Jordan is was a very difficult, tough and emotional decision. For Myung and Labrie it was all business and I think they were releived they had moved on.

A real shame in the end. Portnoy is an amazing talent. And he was as big a part of this band as any other member.

Really sad actually. I feel for all of them. It was a true divorce.

The crazy thing is......this could never happen in Rush. It just shows how unique Neil Peart really is. Not only for the lyrics, but no one....I mean no one could have ever written the drum parts and fills Neil has written over Rush's first 20 years (FBN-C.P).

Portnoy as it seems......was replacable not only to play Mikes parts....but he fits like glove in writing new parts for the new music.

Very few drummers are irreplacable. Probably a handful. And I am not talking about skill I am talking about in the creative process.

QUOTE (Todem @ Oct 22 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 21 2011, 03:26 PM)

Agreed. Top 3 for me for DT.

Went to the show 5th row at Pompano Beach last night. They were flawless.

Just simply amazing. And James is sounding better than ever on the VOX.

John was tearing it up!! They look reborn on stage. They are all having fun and really enjoying themselves. It is quite obvious in seeing them the last 3 tours there was some very bad vibes going on between Mike, John and James.

It's over. And the new album and tour truly solidifies this. I thought it would be a one and done when the news first broke. I figured Mike would take a break and come back.

Wrong.

Mangini fits like a glove into this band. He is now a true member of Dream Theatre.

goodpost.gif Well said.

I wouldn't be surprised if Portnoy plays a few shows as a guest in a few years from now, but that's all I can picture.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 24 2011, 10:02 AM)

You've got my vote, Tick! haha wink.gif