Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2011, 12:02 PM)
ok, so it looks like yesterdays news was false.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=163514

what a bunch of horseshit........

Not Horseshit, just Old news .

I am really enjoying the new CD.

Only a couple of meh tunes. So 7/9 is not bad at all.

Breaking All Illusions is amazing. The first 6 tunes are sick. It is track 7 and 9 that I already know are skips for me.

I have not had a chance to listen to it for a second time yet, but I did not care too much for "Outcry".

As I said earlier it sounded more like a medley of songs than 1 song in and of itself. There are no subtle transitions when the track goes from heavy to soft, and from solos sections to the full band playing... the song felt like a mess.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 20 2011, 01:25 PM)
I have not had a chance to listen to it for a second time yet, but I did not care too much for "Outcry".

As I said earlier it sounded more like a medley of songs than 1 song in and of itself. There are no subtle transitions when the track goes from heavy to soft, and from solos sections to the full band playing... the song felt like a mess.

Yeah Outcry is also another tune I am not too fond of. So 6/9. Solid effort from DT.

They always seem to have 2-3 songs where I lose them. Except for Scenes From A Memory Pt2 and Black Clouds and Silver Linings which are my 2 favorite albums.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2011, 12:02 PM)
ok, so it looks like yesterdays news was false.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=163514

what a bunch of horseshit........

To me, what that means is Portnoy and his lawyers have either settled or found there is no basis for and lawsuit (no cashola coming) and not worth filing. It doesn't mean the document didn't get into DT's legal mailbox. They just don't want to muddy the waters now that the new drummer's in place...

It grows on you, keep spinning it and see what happens biggrin.gif

I think a big part of this album's success is that there are not a ton of "huge, over the top, drowning all the other intruments out" drum fills on it.

Portnoy was and is an awesome drummer, but for the most parts I always perferred his beats over his fills because they tended to just be.. I don't know, too much and sometimes ill-fitting. Whether it was JP's drum machine or Mangini's idea I like the fact that there's more focus on the rhythm and less on crazy fills that don't add anything to the song *

*Even during the way WAY over the top intro of Lost Not Forgotten the drums are restrained.

IMO, as always!

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 21 2011, 11:03 AM)
*Even during the way WAY over the top intro of Lost Not Forgotten the drums are restrained.

That intro is just SICK, isn't it? This one, and the busiest parts of Outcry, are so far the best moments on the new album.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 21 2011, 04:24 PM)
I got tickets to see them in NYC for my birthday. 1022.gif I can't wait! I've never seen them before and I'm really looking forward to the show. Hopefully they'll play a lot of stuff from the new album. I think I'm going to skip the opener though.

Enjoy your birthday show, brother!

For the Royal Oak Theatre show Oct 3, my GF and I have a '4-day weekend' staying at various hotels around town. This new GF, ("new", even though I've known her and her family since the early seventies) is extremely cool about this DT show. [True Love. Sigh...] She made it a point to drive 3 hours each way to be with me for the show, so I'm making the most of it and taking her shopping at Somerset Collections and going to give her a wide aisle tour of suburban Detroit. Too bad it wasn't in a decent city like Toronto or Chicago. Oh well, I'm from the armpit of the midwest and I'm used to this grimy hellhole of a town. laugh.gif

I f***ing love that song Owl, but then I love weird change-ups and out there juxtapositions, let em throw some jazz in there and some funk and we'd be really flying!

1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Sep 21 2011, 05:14 PM)
I finally got it yesterday on vinyl and it is a side to side great album. Outcry is actually one of my favorite songs off of it, its so epic and a tight performance by the whole band.

I guess I'll have to give Outcry a good hard listen when I get the disc. I'm intrigued for sure. cool10.gif

They really need to get an Outside producer next time. Ugh.........

I can't believe this! My guitarist called me last night and said he's setting up an interview with Mike Mangini for Oct 3rd and may be getting a backstage pass for me! Hope this pans out! I'll confirm it asap. Whoa!!

Been playing this non-stop since I picked up last week.

The album is really tight. I love it. Except for the last track I really like each and every song. Outcry also grew on me after repeated listens.

The first 5 songs flow so beautiful right into each other.

Breaking All Illusions has a massive Rush influence in JP's solo section "ala" La Villa! Love that section of that song big time.

Really looking forward to the show and hope they play a lot of this album along with some epics like Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany to name a few (I loved Black Clouds big time as well).

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Sep 23 2011, 03:10 PM)
Been playing this non-stop since I picked up last week.

The album is really tight. I love it. Except for the last track I really like each and every song. Outcry also grew on me after repeated listens.

The first 5 songs flow so beautiful right into each other.

Breaking All Illusions has a massive Rush influence in JP's solo section "ala" La Villa! Love that section of that song big time.

Really looking forward to the show and hope they play a lot of this album along with some epics like Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany to name a few (I loved Black Clouds big time as well).

Unlikely you will hear ANTR or COT. They played them both nonstop for two years.

tonight's setlist:

*SPOILERS*

1. Bridges in the Sky

2. These Walls

3. Build Me Up, Break Me Down

4. Endless Sacrifice

5. Drum Solo

6. Ytse Jam

7. The Silent Man [Acoustic Guitar, James and John --EDIT: Jordan as well]

8. Beneath the Surface [Acoustic as well]

9. The Great Debate

10. On the Backs of Angels

11. Forsaken

12. Through My Words

13. Fatal Tragedy

14. Outcry

Encore

15. Under a Glass Moon

solid setlist, IMO. nice to see that they're going easy on the TOT-BCSL era stuff. Bridges is a perfect opener (although, it would work very well as an ending too). I'm LOVING the inclusion of an acoustic section too. Was kind of hoping for Far From Heaven/Breaking All Illusions as a closer, and i wish they'd still play Peruvian Skies and/or Caught in a Web, but hey -- you can't get everything! I hope the setlist is the same/similar when I go to see them in October. Edited by fledgehog