Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 15 2011, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 15 2011, 02:50 PM)

*I wish nobody ever told me most of the songs were built upon existing I&W song structures. Instead of enjoying these awesome songs for what they are, I instead find myself trying to match them to the older songs.

That's such a dildo observation anyhow. Just lame.

I don't get the problem, personally confused13.gif

I like the idea, and you can't pick a better song than Learning to Live.

Dream Theater did it on purpose, it has nothing to do with cutting corners, if that's what people mean?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 15 2011, 04:56 PM)
Not digging the new one at all.......

Hey Fields!

I listened to the album again tonight. It's hit or miss still for me.

There is some great playing on the record and I like LaBrie's voice. I am sooooooo glad that the growler Port"Annoy" is no longer on the mic.

That's a plus for sure!!

Too many ballads for me. The last track "Beneath The Surface" really bores me to death. Hence it puts me feeling six feet beneath the surface.

unsure.gif

Why are there intro drum machine samples on this record?

Let Mike play!!!!

JMO

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 16 2011, 12:54 AM)

Hey Fields!

There is some great playing on the record and I like LaBrie's voice. I am sooooooo glad that the growler Port"Annoy" is no longer on the mic.

That's a plus for sure!!

Too many ballads for me. The last track "Beneath The Surface" really bores me to death. Hence it puts me feeling six feet beneath the surface.

unsure.gif

Let Mike play!!!!

JMO

The last track is the weakest, they should have finished with a rousing ballsy epic!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 15 2011, 07:56 PM)

Don't listen to it. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 16 2011, 12:54 AM)

Hey Fields!

That's a plus for sure!!

unsure.gif

Let Mike play!!!!

JMO

The last track is the weakest, they should have finished with a rousing ballsy epic!

trink38.gif

I love the last track! I must be a pussy, cause I like the ballads and don't care that the album end with one. cat.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 12:47 AM)
I wonder why this band generates so much controversy? Even after arguably the most controversial member has left the fold...

confused13.gif

Its stupid. Dream Theater has just make a fantastic album that by the way, there REAL fans are loving. Does it matter that the haters don't like it?

By the way, I got a message from, Metaldad. He is a busy guy but he is ok.

He did say he has some issues with the album which does not surprise me cause he is METALdad, not Progdad.

Actually, I am secretly aware he is really Classicaldad, though he will never admit it.

Anyhow, I wont make to many assumptions on his behalf. I'm sure at some point he will show up and tell us all what he thinks.

Personally, I think the album is infectious. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Edited by tick

Well, I finally picked up the album yesterday afternoon.

I haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen to it in full just yet. But from what I've heard so far, I dig it.

'Breaking All Illusions' is still my favourite so far. That guitar solo is fantastic. Love it.

I'm going to put the album on my computer here at work so I can give it more listens through headphones throughout the day.

Ironically, I had trouble finding this album at first. I went to one store and they didn't have it at all. Then I went to another music store...looked all around and couldn't find it anywhere either. Lucky for me, I asked the one guy there and he got me a copy from the back. It was the DVD package, but the price was right, so I was took it.

I was just happy to have it finally! 1022.gif

Also, I have a question for some of the more 'seasoned' DT fans.

I already own Images & Words, A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, and A Dramatic Turn of Events. I have also heard Scenes From a Memory.

Outside of these albums, what recommendations do you have for me as far as albums that I should check out next?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 16 2011, 08:22 AM)

I already own Images & Words, A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, and A Dramatic Turn of Events. I have also heard Scenes From a Memory.

Outside of these albums, what recommendations do you have for me as far as albums that I should check out next?

"Awake" should be your next album 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 09:34 AM)

yes.gif

It is my favorite release by DT.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 07:34 AM)

In order of priority:

Awake

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought

Falling Into Infinity

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Sep 15 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 15 2011, 12:50 PM)

(not lewd pics of my gf and I. I'll have a paypal account setup for that. I'm talking about the concert...)

Discount for lewd pics of your g/f without you?

it should be discounted if I was OMITTED from the video footage not her. That's for sure. I only do POV productions anyway, guys. ..

It was a joke. sorry i brought it up.

BTW, Can't wait for Oct 3rd DT AT ROYAL OAK MUSIC THEATRE!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Sep 15 2011, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 15 2011, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 15 2011, 02:50 PM)

*I wish nobody ever told me most of the songs were built upon existing I&W song structures. Instead of enjoying these awesome songs for what they are, I instead find myself trying to match them to the older songs.

That's such a dildo observation anyhow. Just lame.

I don't get the problem, personally confused13.gif

I like the idea, and you can't pick a better song than Learning to Live.

Dream Theater did it on purpose, it has nothing to do with cutting corners, if that's what people mean?

"Conceptual continuity", Frank Zappa did it all the time.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 16 2011, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 09:34 AM)

yes.gif

It is my favorite release by DT.

yeah, i would go for awake too. check out liquid tension experiment as well when you can.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 06:52 AM)
He did say he has some issues with the album which does not surprise me cause he is METALdad, not Progdad.

Actually, I am secretly aware he is really Classicaldad, though he will never admit it.

glad to hear classicaldad is ok. 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2011, 10:14 AM)

Me too! 1022.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 16 2011, 09:47 AM)

In order of priority:

Awake

Train of Thought

Falling Into Infinity

Couldn't agree more. This is definitely the correct plan for attacking the albums you don't have.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2011, 10:14 AM)

Me too! 1022.gif

yes.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 16 2011, 10:21 AM)

In order of priority:

Awake

Train of Thought

Falling Into Infinity

Couldn't agree more. This is definitely the correct plan for attacking the albums you don't have.

Cool...looks like AWAKE it is.

Seems like the top choice for everyone! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 16 2011, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 16 2011, 10:21 AM)

In order of priority:

Awake

Train of Thought

Falling Into Infinity

Cool...looks like AWAKE it is.

Seems like the top choice for everyone! 1022.gif

Go get Awake and I'll go get the new one. I keep forgetting to go get it! (damn band practices, etc...)

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 12:47 AM)
I wonder why this band generates so much controversy? Even after arguably the most controversial member has left the fold...

confused13.gif

Its stupid. Dream Theater has just make a fantastic album that by the way, there REAL fans are loving. Does it matter that the haters don't like it?

Anyhow, I wont make to many assumptions on his behalf. I'm sure at some point he will show up and tell us all what he thinks.

Personally, I think the album is infectious. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Glad Metaldad's ok, I miss having him cool10.gif around.