Lifeson with Tool

BastillePark

Dear Tool,

PLEASE tell us that you recorded this Show and will be putting it on sale/online.....PLEASE.  

Sincerely,

The World of Rush

• Like 2

I was there for both shows on Monday and Tuesday.  When Maynard said "We would like to invite a special guest to join us onstage.  His name rhymes with 'Alex Lifeson'", I lost my sh*t.  Adam played the opening riff from Bangkok and then they launched into "Jambi".  During the break before the middle jam section, they played more of "Bangkok" before going back into "Jambi".  They let Alex have a solo during that part.

It's always a special moment when my 2 favourite bands intersect. :alex:

Edited by P-Tor
  • Like 3

I admit, I don't know Tool from a hole in the ground, honest. They are like Dream Theatre light? But I wanted to watch Alex play.

That sounded very, very good. I would have liked a close up but still, the dude leaning over his guitar and watching his fingers play each note - to perfection - was great to see.

Alex playing on stage. Wonderful. But not really focused on his guitar playing? Still, live sounds and venue atmosphere is never easy - so I have read. 

And we got a "double neck" during the last half of the song!

Thank you, BastillePark, very much :thumbsup: Just seeing the stage lights on Alex felt very nostalgic. So very much wanting to see more of him on stage.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

I admit, I don't know Tool from a hole in the ground, honest. They are like Dream Theatre light? But I wanted to watch Alex play.

That sounded very, very good. I would have liked a close up but still, the dude leaning over his guitar and watching his fingers play each note - to perfection - was great to see.

Alex playing on stage. Wonderful. But not really focused on his guitar playing? Still, live sounds and venue atmosphere is never easy - so I have read. 

And we got a "double neck" during the last half of the song.

Thank you, BastillePark, very much :thumbsup: Just seeing the stage lights on Alex felt very nostalgic. So very much wanting to see more of him on stage.

IMO about the only way Tool and Dream Theater are similar is they're both bands and are all men. I guess they both play hard rock or metal of some variety but other than that I don't see any connection.

• Like 3

I guess I heard a "Prog Rock" sound, lose interpretations of rock music and scales?

Still, it sounded great, if not so much a video capture.

• Like 2

Holy murder last nite msg thought Justin was just messing around after cc trip but.....

floooooooood!!!!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:50 PM, The Analog Cub said:

Assuming they didn't turn his guitar off, he actually learned the whole song, too. Jambi is a f***ing killer track

I think he learned at least some of it.

This is also my birthday and would have been a SWEET concert to see. I am not a big Tool fan, but your assessment of Jambi is correct. Seeing Alex play this song would have been a great concert moment.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 11:08 AM, GabesCavesOfIce said:

Holy murder last nite msg thought Justin was just messing around after cc trip but.....

floooooooood!!!!

Excuse my complete ignorance but what does this even mean?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Laurabw said:

Excuse my complete ignorance but what does this even mean?

No ignorance at all, I was a bit overwhelmed ,

Tool played two from an album they rarely go to live, Undertow, including Flood for the first time in 12 years.

(After the drum solo cc trip, Justin was messing around with his bass i erroneously believed, what he was really doing was opening flood)

Edited by GabesCavesOfIce
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, The Analog Cub said:

Assuming they didn't turn his guitar off, he actually learned the whole song, too. Jambi is a f***ing killer track

Going quite a ways back (like 20 years) Alex has praised Adam for his creative guitar tones/effects use and layering, I think even crediting Adam for some of his layering technique on Vapor Trails.  Alex has been a fan for probably since Aenima.  It's likely Alex knows more Tool licks than just Jiambi.  I even learned a couple drop D Tool riffs and I rarely jammed along to other bands.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:31 PM, Bahamas said:

I guess I heard a "Prog Rock" sound, lose interpretations of rock music and scales?

Still, it sounded great, if not so much a video capture.

They're both Prog bands.  Both are rooted in heavy guitars and slamming drums.  There's certainly similarities.  The important stuff in Prog is in the details though, and digging below the surface how each band goes about their business is entirely different and the results reflect that.  Tool's popularity (and arguably their genius) is taking complex rhythmic patterns and making them consumable by the masses.  They've released a fraction of albums that Dream Theater has but have sold more copies (I think by a wide margin, too).  They've made Prog that the masses can consume.  If for that alone, as a Prog fan, I would be grateful for their contributions. But I also happen to like Tool (since Undertow) and appreciate the development in their sound since their earliest records.

• Like 4