Lifeson with Tool

BastillePark

Two of my absolute favorites!! Alex playing one of my favorite Tool song Jambi teasing one of my favorite Rush songs. YES PLEASE!!!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 11:30 AM, stoopid said:

They're both Prog bands.  Both are rooted in heavy guitars and slamming drums.  There's certainly similarities.  The important stuff in Prog is in the details though, and digging below the surface how each band goes about their business is entirely different and the results reflect that.  Tool's popularity (and arguably their genius) is taking complex rhythmic patterns and making them consumable by the masses.  They've released a fraction of albums that Dream Theater has but have sold more copies (I think by a wide margin, too).  They've made Prog that the masses can consume.  If for that alone, as a Prog fan, I would be grateful for their contributions. But I also happen to like Tool (since Undertow) and appreciate the development in their sound since their earliest records.

5 albums in 32 years and they are all elite. Their standards for release are impressive.

Imagine a world where Rush expanded their prog from Hemispheres and didn't hurry towards "adult accepted formats" that the "inteligencia" wanted from them. Thats Tool.

2 minutes ago, GabesCavesOfIce said:

5 albums in 32 years and they are all elite. Their standards for release are impressive.

Imagine a world where Rush expanded their prog from Hemispheres and didn't hurry towards "adult accepted formats" that the "inteligencia" wanted from them. Thats Tool.

Beautifully put!!

On 1/15/2024 at 10:30 AM, stoopid said:

They're both Prog bands.  Both are rooted in heavy guitars and slamming drums.  There's certainly similarities.  The important stuff in Prog is in the details though, and digging below the surface how each band goes about their business is entirely different and the results reflect that.  Tool's popularity (and arguably their genius) is taking complex rhythmic patterns and making them consumable by the masses.  They've released a fraction of albums that Dream Theater has but have sold more copies (I think by a wide margin, too).  They've made Prog that the masses can consume.  If for that alone, as a Prog fan, I would be grateful for their contributions. But I also happen to like Tool (since Undertow) and appreciate the development in their sound since their earliest records.

I agree with that.

Something funny is that the deeper I got into Tool the more I appreciated a record like Test For Echo and Vapor Trails Which I already was a huge fan of. It's not that those Rush albums sound like Tool because they don't, but there is some kinship to Tool I can't explain in those records.

• Like 1