What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

I took a quiz last week that I thought I did well on (other than one question). I got it back today and it turns out I got a 50% on it. No curve, no partial credit. The problems I thought I aced I did wrong and the one I screwed up on gave me all the points. There was a definition question where the answer was written verbatim to the answer minus one word. I got a 6/10 for that one....

The class average is lower than my score so there's that. It's still infuriating though because he takes off tremendous amounts for small tiny errors

What subject is that?

Accounting. This is coming from a student (and others) that have aced every other exam. The new professor just has impossibly high standards compared to any other. He gives many examples of problems and their solutions for practice (which I used and studied with). Then he ramps up the difficulty X10 for the exams

The guy probably thinks he's being generous for giving you any points at all.

Accountants. :P

This was how one problem went.

Q: "What is the FASB Definition of an asset?"

A: "Probable future economic benefits obtained or controlled by a particular entity as a result of past transactions or events."

The bold is the part I missed in the word-for word definition. 6/10 for the question.

Oh no! That is rough for you. I remember having one or two profs like that. Either they were proudly not caving to "gradeflation" (whatever that is) or else they would make the final easier and be like, "Look how much everyone has improved, I'm a great instructor!" Hang in there!

I'm sure I'll return to this topic quite a few times throughout the semester. I think this professor is similar to what you're describing because apparently he awards bonus points if you attend "optional" guest lectures. Another professor said "go to to those lectures or fail his class"

• Like 1

I took a quiz last week that I thought I did well on (other than one question). I got it back today and it turns out I got a 50% on it. No curve, no partial credit. The problems I thought I aced I did wrong and the one I screwed up on gave me all the points. There was a definition question where the answer was written verbatim to the answer minus one word. I got a 6/10 for that one....

The class average is lower than my score so there's that. It's still infuriating though because he takes off tremendous amounts for small tiny errors

What subject is that?

Accounting. This is coming from a student (and others) that have aced every other exam. The new professor just has impossibly high standards compared to any other. He gives many examples of problems and their solutions for practice (which I used and studied with). Then he ramps up the difficulty X10 for the exams

A: "Probable future economic benefits obtained or controlled by a particular entity as a result of past transactions or events."

The bold is the part I missed in the word-for word definition. 6/10 for the question.

Oh no! That is rough for you. I remember having one or two profs like that. Either they were proudly not caving to "gradeflation" (whatever that is) or else they would make the final easier and be like, "Look how much everyone has improved, I'm a great instructor!" Hang in there!

I'm sure I'll return to this topic quite a few times throughout the semester. I think this professor is similar to what you're describing because apparently he awards bonus points if you attend "optional" guest lectures. Another professor said "go to to those lectures or fail his class"

Good grief- good thing he gave you a warning! Best of luck with the rest of the semester! :)

My parents that coming home to me and just complaining about everything. "Do that, do that." Makes me crazy!

I'm surprised they think you are old enough to stay home alone

What the fuc.k? I am almost 27 years old :S

You talk like a ten year old and whine like a newborn.

Well I can say the same thing about you. So I guess thats one thing we got in common

What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

What? :S

My parents that coming home to me and just complaining about everything. "Do that, do that." Makes me crazy!

I'm surprised they think you are old enough to stay home alone

What the fuc.k? I am almost 27 years old :S

You talk like a ten year old and whine like a newborn.

Well I can say the same thing about you. So I guess thats one thing we got in common

What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

What? :S

:musicnote:

You'll say we've got nothing in common

No common ground to start from

And we're falling apart

You say the world has come between us

Our lives have come between us

Still I know you just don't care

And I said "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"

She said "I think I remember the film

And as I recall, I think we both kinda liked it"

And I said "Well, that's the one thing we've got"

:musicnote:

What subject is that?

Even professors can be assholes...I found that out a LOOOONG time ago....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Monsters/mad_scientist%205.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20huh.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

My English professor has assigned us a 5-7 page research paper due on May 8th. But that's not the problem (although of all the essays I've ever written, research is my least favorite). The problem is that he's set up due dates for things like brainstorm lists and outlines throughout the semester, forcing me to use the recommended writing process of slow research and many, many iterations of drafts and prewrites. And they're graded, some of them as tests! I'm frustrated because that's not how I write essays. I set aside a huge chunk of time to just sit down and bang out a rough draft, and then I set aside another block of time to proofread and edit it for a final draft. As I accumulate more and more unused ideas and drafts, I get more confused and unsure. I know that research papers require more time for, you know, research, but three and a half months? That's not how I write, and I'm an A student. But I have to do this his way, and I just know my writing will suffer because of it. Not to mention that there will be plenty of smaller essays over the course of the semester, and I'm taking four other classes! :sigh: Edited by Disk98

My English professor has assigned us a 5-7 page research paper due on May 8th. But that's not the problem (although of all the essays I've ever written, research is my least favorite). The problem is that he's set up due dates for things like brainstorm lists and outlines throughout the semester, forcing me to use the recommended writing process of slow research and many, many iterations of drafts and prewrites. And they're graded, some of them as tests! I'm frustrated because that's not how I write essays. I set aside a huge chunk of time to just sit down and bang out a rough draft, and then I set aside another block of time to proofread and edit it for a final draft. As I accumulate more and more unused ideas and drafts, I get more confused and unsure. I know that research papers require more time for, you know, research, but three and a half months? That's not how I write, and I'm an A student. But I have to do this his way, and I just know my writing will suffer because of it. Not to mention that there will be plenty of smaller essays over the course of the semester, and I'm taking four other classes! :sigh:

Yeah, but that's what I've found in we humans. We can adapt. Sometimes it's ALL we can do. Just think about it, and something will occur to you on how to handle this situation. I'm sure of it! :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20grin%20teeth.gif

Certain people on this forum... (you know who you are)

:LOL:

Call em out, right here!

No I wont do that. I just want those certain people to stop.

How are they gonna know who they are?

Wanting stuff to stop without doing anything about it is, yeah

My English professor has assigned us a 5-7 page research paper due on May 8th. But that's not the problem (although of all the essays I've ever written, research is my least favorite). The problem is that he's set up due dates for things like brainstorm lists and outlines throughout the semester, forcing me to use the recommended writing process of slow research and many, many iterations of drafts and prewrites. And they're graded, some of them as tests! I'm frustrated because that's not how I write essays. I set aside a huge chunk of time to just sit down and bang out a rough draft, and then I set aside another block of time to proofread and edit it for a final draft. As I accumulate more and more unused ideas and drafts, I get more confused and unsure. I know that research papers require more time for, you know, research, but three and a half months? That's not how I write, and I'm an A student. But I have to do this his way, and I just know my writing will suffer because of it. Not to mention that there will be plenty of smaller essays over the course of the semester, and I'm taking four other classes! :sigh:

Yeah, but that's what I've found in we humans. We can adapt. Sometimes it's ALL we can do. Just think about it, and something will occur to you on how to handle this situation. I'm sure of it! :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20grin%20teeth.gif

The process Disk describes sounds tedious. But, you play the game within the rules they give you (for now, anyway).
  • Like 1

The process Disk describes sounds tedious. But, you play the game within the rules they give you (for now, anyway).

That's the way i took it...I hated reseach papers also, but Mr. Marcero was such a STICKLER about all the RULES that I just learned I had to do it my HIS rules. When I finally finished it, he gave me an 'A'! I kept that paper until a few years ago when i finally tossed it mistakenly....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20shimmy%20shimmy%20coco%20Bop.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

my teacher taking my phone away in class again. UGH!

I wanna chat with my friends. :rage:

:popcorn:

What??

I have no real friends, they are all online. You know that.

The popcorn was in anticipation of the comments you're likely to get in response to this post.

• Like 1

What??

The popcorn was in anticipation of the comments you're likely to get in response to this post.

oh. why?

Don't be disingenuous :tsk:

• Like 2

What??

oh. why?

Oh, GNP, hugs to you. :hug2: High school must be a very different place than it was even a few years ago when my kids were there!

Likely Responses-

1. I think you wrote before, you are allowed phones for music during quiet time or something, but are you really surprised if a teacher takes your phone if you are texting while they are teaching? I think they want your attention to be on them.

2. Face to face friends in real life are different than on line friends; both can be important. It's worrisome when you say you don't have any. Start small. Maybe just say hi to a few people in band once in a while and see if it grows from there.

• Like 3

What??

oh. why?

Oh, GNP, hugs to you. :hug2: High school must be a very different place than it was even a few years ago when my kids were there!

Likely Responses-

1. I think you wrote before, you are allowed phones for music during quiet time or something, but are you really surprised if a teacher takes your phone if you are texting while they are teaching? I think they want your attention to be on them.

2. Face to face friends in real life are different than on line friends; both can be important. It's worrisome when you say you don't have any. Start small. Maybe just say hi to a few people in band once in a while and see if it grows from there.

:hug2: I don't wanna learn. I wanna be left alone in my room to myself.

I can not cuz I am to afraid to say anything to anyone.

Edited by GotNeilPeart?

What??

oh. why?

Don't be disingenuous :tsk:

That is not a real word??