Genre survey - Which genre most represents you and your tastes in music?

treeduck

Genre Survey  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which musical genre most represents your musical taste?

• Hard Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Progressive Rock
    • Indie Rock
    • New Wave
    • Rock 'n' Roll
    • Punk
    • Classical
    • Instrumental Rock
    • Jazz
    • Jazz-Rock
    • Grunge
    • Blues-Rock
    • Garage Rock
    • Pop
    • Art Rock
    • Blues
    • Nu-Metal
    • Country
    • Country-Rock
    • Singer Songwriter
    • Power Pop
    • Death Metal/Black Metal
    • Disco/Dance Music
    • Electronic Music
    • Funk
    • Hip-Hop
    • Soul
    • Organ Music
    • Surf Music
    • Rockabilly
    • Soundtrack Music
    • Brass Bands
    • Irish Music
    • Reggae
    • Old School Rap
    • Gospel
    • Music Hall
    • Torch Songs
    • Pomp Rock

Which genre or sub-genre most sums up your musical taste? Which one represents your musical journey more than any other?

What genre would be CATS In SPACE, The Struts and Synth Era Rush?

My interest in hard rock is what initially drew me to Rush. At the time I'd not heard of progressive music and once I found out what it was (it's quite a nebulous genre) and listened to other prog bands, I found that it wasn't a style I was drawn to. I'm also a big fan of New Wave and Metal, but not what passes for Metal these days.
  • Like 2

I'll go by Sirius XM stations and say Lithium for the music I grew up with in my teen years. First Wave is 2nd tier. Got into that early alternative and new wave in college when stations like KROQ were foolishly simping for Fred Durst.

Going that route I'm 70's on 7 more than any other station. I do I Heart 70's the most as well.

• Like 1

I like it all and have seen concerts across many genres.

From public enemy to Charlie Daniels band

From Alabama to megadeth

Blah blah blah

At the end of the day, I go back to my roots of early rush and say I am a prog- metal kind of guy......

If I can only pick one then it will be progressive rock (which encompasses Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, ELP, King Crimson .. and more!). The most varied genre.
  • Like 1

I love every rock genre except nu-metal... bleh. I chose hard rock.

On the other hand, I really like pop and country music... at least some of the older stuff mostly

I'm fluid.

Don't try to label me. :)

me too. back in the day when there were actually record stores, I would get strange looks and comments when bringing a diverse pile of CDs to the counter.

• Like 2

I'm fluid.

Don't try to label me. :)

me too. back in the day when there were actually record stores, I would get strange looks and comments when bringing a diverse pile of CDs to the counter.

That’s because many record store staff were elitists who thought they were pillars of music knowledge.

• Like 2

1609626962[/url]' post='4873408']

Heavy metal, but bear in mind I'm from the generation where almost everything with distorted guitars was classified as such. Even AC/DC & ZZ Top were called metal back then. The only other subgenre was Prog.

I’m very similar. I like heavy metal before that became a synonym for Cookie Monster singing about killing your mother while the band has a race to see who can get to the end of the song first.

• Like 3

Rock

Rock isn't specific enough, it's too general.

You asked what genre best represents my taste in music, and I gave you a genre as an answer. I like rock music, be it prog, post, punk, metal, AOR, alternative, etc. If it's rock I tend to like it.

• Like 1

Rock

You asked what genre best represents my taste in music, and I gave you a genre as an answer. I like rock music, be it prog, post, punk, metal, AOR, alternative, etc. If it's rock I tend to like it.

Yeah but rock music covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres. By saying you like rock tells me nothing. Why don't you want to tell me something?

Rock

Yeah but rock music covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres. By saying you like rock tells me nothing. Why don't you want to tell me something?

How does that differ from one of your choices, "rock 'n roll"?