Genre survey - Which genre most represents you and your tastes in music?

treeduck

Genre Survey  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which musical genre most represents your musical taste?

• Hard Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Progressive Rock
    • Indie Rock
    • New Wave
    • Rock 'n' Roll
    • Punk
    • Classical
    • Instrumental Rock
    • Jazz
    • Jazz-Rock
    • Grunge
    • Blues-Rock
    • Garage Rock
    • Pop
    • Art Rock
    • Blues
    • Nu-Metal
    • Country
    • Country-Rock
    • Singer Songwriter
    • Power Pop
    • Death Metal/Black Metal
    • Disco/Dance Music
    • Electronic Music
    • Funk
    • Hip-Hop
    • Soul
    • Organ Music
    • Surf Music
    • Rockabilly
    • Soundtrack Music
    • Brass Bands
    • Irish Music
    • Reggae
    • Old School Rap
    • Gospel
    • Music Hall
    • Torch Songs
    • Pomp Rock

Rock

Rock isn't specific enough, it's too general.

You asked what genre best represents my taste in music, and I gave you a genre as an answer. I like rock music, be it prog, post, punk, metal, AOR, alternative, etc. If it's rock I tend to like it.

Yeah but rock music covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres. By saying you like rock tells me nothing. Why don't you want to tell me something?

You know what else covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres? Jazz. As does pop, as does country, as does classical, as does electronic, etc. If you care so much about specifics, why are there such non specific genres as options in the poll?

And it isn't that I don't want to tell you something. I told you something. When you ask me to be more specific I can only explain how specifying prog or punk or hard rock doesn't really begin to cover my taste. Frankly just saying rock is a bit of a cop out. I love Stevie Wonder, Prince, Michael Jackson, MisterWives, Cyndi Lauper, Kanye West, OutKast, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Kendrick Lamar... sure in general my taste tends towards some form of rock or another, but I'll listen to pretty much anything if it's good. In my opinion, taste is much more accurately described with reference to particular artists than with genre descriptors, which are always both too broad and too specific.

Sorry for the rant.

Rock

You asked what genre best represents my taste in music, and I gave you a genre as an answer. I like rock music, be it prog, post, punk, metal, AOR, alternative, etc. If it's rock I tend to like it.

Yeah but rock music covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres. By saying you like rock tells me nothing. Why don't you want to tell me something?

How does that differ from one of your choices, "rock 'n roll"?

Well I was talking about old school 50's rock 'n' roll as performed by the likes of Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly.

Rock

You know what else covers a wide spectrum of sub-genres? Jazz. As does pop, as does country, as does classical, as does electronic, etc. If you care so much about specifics, why are there such non specific genres as options in the poll?

And it isn't that I don't want to tell you something. I told you something. When you ask me to be more specific I can only explain how specifying prog or punk or hard rock doesn't really begin to cover my taste. Frankly just saying rock is a bit of a cop out. I love Stevie Wonder, Prince, Michael Jackson, MisterWives, Cyndi Lauper, Kanye West, OutKast, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Kendrick Lamar... sure in general my taste tends towards some form of rock or another, but I'll listen to pretty much anything if it's good. In my opinion, taste is much more accurately described with reference to particular artists than with genre descriptors, which are always both too broad and too specific.

Sorry for the rant.

So you're saying it's not rock, it's music? What you should have said is, I like music so I'm not going to vote in this poll. Then you wouldn't be wasting my time like this!

Rock

Sorry for the rant.

So you're saying it's not rock, it's music? What you should have said is, I like music so I'm not going to vote in this poll. Then you wouldn't be wasting my time like this!

Buddy, I can't waste your time for you just posting messages on an internet forum, lol.

Anyway, I like music and I'm not voting in this poll.

Rock

Sorry for the rant.

Buddy, I can't waste your time for you just posting messages on an internet forum, lol.

Anyway, I like music and I'm not voting in this poll.

Go and listen to some "rock" music, listen to it all and then come back in a few years when you've finished.

I'll go by Sirius XM stations and say Lithium for the music I grew up with in my teen years. First Wave is 2nd tier. Got into that early alternative and new wave in college when stations like KROQ were foolishly simping for Fred Durst.

Going that route I'm 70's on 7 more than any other station. I do I Heart 70's the most as well.

They got some good late 70s as well on First Wave like Bowie, Police, Talking Heads, Clash, Cars and Ramones to name a few.

Edited by invisible airwave

Heavy Metal. I realize newer metal bands push what I like into a more hard rock category. Its a generational thing, I guess. But what else would you call Motorhead, Scorpions, etc.

But I like a lot of other stuff. Grunge, country, blues, hard rock, stoner rock, prog, the Monkees...

• Like 2

Heavy Metal. I realize newer metal bands push what I like into a more hard rock category. Its a generational thing, I guess. But what else would you call Motorhead, Scorpions, etc.

But I like a lot of other stuff. Grunge, country, blues, hard rock, stoner rock, prog, the Monkees...

Who would you say are the three best representations of stoner rock? Not asking if they’re your favorite in the genre but rather which 3 artists exemplify it best?

Who would you say are the three best representations of stoner rock? Not asking if they’re your favorite in the genre but rather which 3 artists exemplify it best?

I didn't include Stoner Rock because it's basically Master of Reality-era Sabbath worship. To me that's not a real genre/

• Like 1

Huge prog fan here. I got into Rush around the same time I also got heavily into Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, ELP, etc. I was into Led Zeppelin just before them but with prog there was a sort of escapism involved with the longer tracks and interesting musical passages that drew me in. It's not for everyone and some people don't consider Rush to be part of that but when I heard Hemispheres on tape(borrowed from my brother's friend)I was already into those 70's English prog bands and for me Rush fit right in. Even the 80's stuff has heavy prog influences imo. Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

I like what I like and what I like thrashes.....also oozes, wiggles, undulates and squeals.

you mean like a cheap hooker?
  • Like 2

I didn't include Stoner Rock because it's basically Master of Reality-era Sabbath worship. To me that's not a real genre/

And that’s another question - What does it have to do to be a “real” genre?

I like what I like and what I like thrashes.....also oozes, wiggles, undulates and squeals.

Or a very expensive one if you're lucky.....

• Like 2

Or a very expensive one if you're lucky.....

:drool:

And that’s another question - What does it have to do to be a “real” genre?

Well at least try and sound like a few more albums. To me though stoner rock is really like a bunch tribute bands who've extended things so they've written their own material. It's a bit like the band Black Star Riders who write Thin Lizzy songs. That's the band that used to be Thin Lizzy though, or the new version of Thin Lizzy anyway.

I'll start at the beginning here. I found out about Monster Magnet in the early '90's from a magazine article. Seemed like something I would like since I was deep into grunge and Sabbath at the time. The album SuperJudge was pretty good, if a bit pinched sounding. Kinda MC5 or Sir Lord Baltimore-ish. Spine Of God was a direct hit. A critic rated it as "you could get a contact high from just listening to this album..." sounds about right. Then came Dopes to Infinity. Very recommended. Pretty cohesive as an album. While no longer a purely stoner rock band, they still make good albums. This from a band leader who apparently ended his drug use around the time he got serious about his band.

Kyuss... these guys I first heard in a record shop I often patronized. I forgot about what I came in for and asked the guy at the counter what he was playing. Kyuss Sky Valley. Wow, Ok I want a copy. Awesome long extended jams. Distortion. Just great stuff to listen to while driving my '76 Chrysler at night. Or just listen to. They soon morphed into Queens Of The Stone Age and tidied up their jamminess bit by bit and found other areas of musical exploration. I just am a fan of Josh Homme's writing style and he picks interesting people to collaborate with.

I'm going to skip to something more recent here with All Them Witches. Here's where I've been lately. Lots of bluesy jams and great vibe. Lightning At The Door is currently my fave. Music like this fits a certain headspace for me. Kinda calming, actually. Despite the unfortunate genre title, none of these bands I listed are sloppy lackadaisical players. They know what they're doing.

So much cool stuff.

Atomic Bitchwax. Novadriver. Fu Manchu (vocals not so much.) Orange Goblin. There is some variation in this genre which I will address concerning Treeduck's post.

• Like 2

I can understand why you would say this. I guess my specific interest in this era led me to keep digging... so, I've been at this for almost 30 years. (Holy s***...) What had started out as worship of 1971 era metal has grown a bit. Like metal itself. Sub genres have popped up. Some are more blues based, some are more purely into the psychedelic/hallucinogenic sound itself. Stone Rebel, which I find relaxing, is labeled as stoner rock. But it is cleaner sounding, almost jazzy at times. Instrumental stuff. Space rock is kind of an offshoot. I find doom metal to be related. Some grunge, like the Melvins, have tread into this territory.

Sometimes I'm totally into the tight rhythm and pacing of metal. Love it. But as far as I progressed with it is the Metallica/Slayer era. I'm a bit older now and just as prone to long song structures and jams. I've always had an excellent attention span. My playing style when I play bass tends more toward this naturally. I can still play fast, I'm just not into playing steady strings of 16ths anymore.

So, yes, stoner rock is full of bands that sound like the early '70's. There's still a lot of newcomer bands that use this template. It just hasn't been entirely stagnant.

Edited by ozzy85
  • Like 2

I'll start at the beginning here. I found out about Monster Magnet in the early '90's from a magazine article. Seemed like something I would like since I was deep into grunge and Sabbath at the time. The album SuperJudge was pretty good, if a bit pinched sounding. Kinda MC5 or Sir Lord Baltimore-ish. Spine Of God was a direct hit. A critic rated it as "you could get a contact high from just listening to this album..." sounds about right. Then came Dopes to Infinity. Very recommended. Pretty cohesive as an album. While no longer a purely stoner rock band, they still make good albums. This from a band leader who apparently ended his drug use around the time he got serious about his band.

Kyuss... these guys I first heard in a record shop I often patronized. I forgot about what I came in for and asked the guy at the counter what he was playing. Kyuss Sky Valley. Wow, Ok I want a copy. Awesome long extended jams. Distortion. Just great stuff to listen to while driving my '76 Chrysler at night. Or just listen to. They soon morphed into Queens Of The Stone Age and tidied up their jamminess bit by bit and found other areas of musical exploration. I just am a fan of Josh Homme's writing style and he picks interesting people to collaborate with.

I'm going to skip to something more recent here with All Them Witches. Here's where I've been lately. Lots of bluesy jams and great vibe. Lightning At The Door is currently my fave. Music like this fits a certain headspace for me. Kinda calming, actually. Despite the unfortunate genre title, none of these bands I listed are sloppy lackadaisical players. They know what they're doing.

So much cool stuff.

Atomic Bitchwax. Novadriver. Fu Manchu (vocals not so much.) Orange Goblin. There is some variation in this genre which I will address concerning Treeduck's post.

Two friends have recommended all them witches to me. I like what I have heard.

So much cool stuff.

A lot of good info there :hail:

• Like 1