RIP Thin White Duke

Digital Dad

There are artists, then there are icons. RIP.

Exactly...he was a true artist, surely, but he was also such an innovator. He covered more ground musically, did more varied and different things, than others could possibly hope to in five or ten lifetimes.

RIP :rose:

• Like 2

The deaths of famous people have never impacted on me emotionally before, but Bowie's has. He is my favourite artist. I really had to get a grip on myself and maintain my composure when I heard the news in order not to shed a tear.

Uncannily, after I had read the text message my friend had sent me, my iPod shuffle began playing Bring Me The Disco King.

God Bless you David. And thank you for all the superb music. RIP.

• Like 2

There are artists, then there are icons. RIP.

Exactly...he was a true artist, surely, but he was also such an innovator. He covered more ground musically, did more varied and different things, than others could possibly hope to in five or ten lifetimes.

RIP :rose:

Well said.

Gonna start my drive today with "Heroes", I think...

• Like 2

As a kid in the early 70s (maybe 10 or 11) is when I first got my love of music. The first "genre" I ever got into was the glam era, Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, and yes Bowie. Stayed a huge fan from Ziggy all the way until Let's Dance. We drifted apart after that but that period was as great a period of music (for the most part) as any. Ziggy, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, Heroes, Scary Monsters, Fame, the list goes on.

I had been meaning to download Blackstar for a bit as I had heard a lot of good things about it. Apparently the songs were a goodbye and no one knew.

Sad f***ing day. Again. Saturday I watched Lemmy's service and today this.

Dont f***ing tell me he's in a better place or that it's part of some imaginary cruel beings plan or I WILL kick you where it hurts.

As a kid in the early 70s (maybe 10 or 11) is when I first got my love of music. The first "genre" I ever got into was the glam era, Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, and yes Bowie. Stayed a huge fan from Ziggy all the way until Let's Dance. We drifted apart after that but that period was as great a period of music (for the most part) as any. Ziggy, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, Heroes, Scary Monsters, Fame, the list goes on.

I had been meaning to download Blackstar for a bit as I had heard a lot of good things about it. Apparently the songs were a goodbye and no one knew.

Sad f***ing day. Again. Saturday I watched Lemmy's service and today this.

Dont f***ing tell me he's in a better place or that it's part of some imaginary cruel beings plan or I WILL kick you where it hurts.

Well...if he was on his last legs of a struggle against cancer, he is in a better place...whatever that place may be.
  • Like 2

Well I got my copy of the new album so obviously it's going to be played tonight! :haz: :haz: :haz:

:AlienSmiley: <<< The new Thin White DUKE and the other new Thin White DUKE >>> :angel:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That's good to hear! I was actually listening to it this morning (and Steven Wilson was as well apparently!) and it's a damn fine way to go out IMO. I love the record.

• Like 1

Not a fan and although I don't take pleasure in people dying, sort of 'meh' for me. While I admire him for keeping his illness under wraps, I'm cynical that his latest album is released about the same time that he died. Somewhere, somebody had the idea of 'hey this should sell well if...'.

Not a fan and although I don't take pleasure in people dying, sort of 'meh' for me. While I admire him for keeping his illness under wraps, I'm cynical that his latest album is released about the same time that he died. Somewhere, somebody had the idea of 'hey this should sell well if...'.

I don't think this is the case. I think Bowie wanted to pass doing that he does. I just listened to Blackstar and I really think it was meant as a sincere swan song.

• Like 2

I don't think this is the case. I think Bowie wanted to pass doing that he does. I just listened to Blackstar and I really think it was meant as a sincere swan song.

Yeah, I don't think so either. Even in the throes of severe illness, it's possible for a person to rebound and have a couple more months, or anything like that...which could have just as easily happened with Bowie. And if it had, then then the assertion about calculating the album release as such wouldn't be made in the first place.

I've thought about Blackstar being his swan song too, just since this morning...that he may have known even while he was making it that he didn't have much longer to last.

:(

This really reminds me of the way Freddie Mercury died. The new album released shortly before his death, the secrecy regarding his terminal illness, the swan song nature of the album, I think Bowie wanted to go out similarly to Freddie.
  • Like 2

This really reminds me of the way Freddie Mercury died. The new album released shortly before his death, the secrecy regarding his terminal illness, the swan song nature of the album, I think Bowie wanted to go out similarly to Freddie.

i had a flashback to that day too.

Mick

• Like 1

I just saw this news now. I never even knew he was sick.

Here he is floating

round his tin can

Far above the Moon

Planet Earth is blue

And there's nothing we can do.

f**k cancer, f**k it all to hell.

• Like 5

Wow...just wow. I have to go buy his music now. Or at least listen to it on Spotify till I can get some cash. I guess Heaven just gained another incredible artist today, and now Fred and David can sing Under Pressure again at last. Rest In Peace, King of Atlantis.

Huh, ironic, my dad just got ten bucks to spend on music and asked me what we should get. I went straight for Bowie, not sure which one he's getting yet.

• Like 2

What a huge loss. Hearing this news brought back so many memories of a summer in the 70's where I visited a friend in Los Angeles. In Pennsylvania, no one could even figure out how to pronounce "Bowie", not even the radio DJ's. (I'm not kidding.) In LA, Bowie love was in full swing and we would go to Sunset Boulevard (in the day!) just to see the Bowie hair, clothes, makeup on the glam fans, what a contrast! Spent the time listening to Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, and Diamond Dogs, such great sounds. What a time to be young :) :)

RIP David, you will be deeply missed . :rose:

• Like 7