Anyone else actually like Chemistry?

MeanMeanPride

I have never been a particular fan of this song. However...I listened to Signals a couple of days ago, and enjoyed the album through and through more than I have in awhile. And that includes Chemistry. I enjoyed it more than I normally do.

But still, overall... :huh:

Chemistry is awesome! The guitar solo is amazing and that intro has the last ripping electric mistress flanger lead on their catalog. Love when Alex used flange, kinda got away from it for chorus and delay which is also great, but...http://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/50565/1937895/original.jpg
  • Like 2

Chemistry is awesome! The guitar solo is amazing and that intro has the last ripping electric mistress flanger lead on their catalog. Love when Alex used flange, kinda got away from it for chorus and delay which is also great, but..

Had one of those E/H flangers,lost it or it got stolen.Blast.
  • Like 1

Chemistry is awesome! The guitar solo is amazing and that intro has the last ripping electric mistress flanger lead on their catalog. Love when Alex used flange, kinda got away from it for chorus and delay which is also great, but..

Had one of those E/H flangers,lost it or it got stolen.Blast.

Hartman makes an amazing clone. Check it out. I have both but the Hartman lives on my board and the E/H lives in my closet! Not totally the same but the Hartman is way more quiet.

I didn't really like Signals for awhile when I first came to the board but now I love it. Chemistry is a great tune, love the keyboard line-gets stuck in my head after I listen to it. And I'm listening right now!

Chemistry is great musically, I love listening to it. Especially that opening synth chord! They really do abuse that chord, it's used in many of their synth songs that have ominous or tense moods (e.g. The Camera Eye, The Weapon). I always like the switchover between synth bass and raunchy bass guitar too. I will admit the lyrics are kind of nerdy, but it kind of comes with the territory ;)
  • Like 2

From songfacts:

This is basically about how chemistry is defined, precise in it's own nature. When you add one thing to another it's ALWAYS the same. In contrast, when human individuals connect it's always a different outcome.

Don't care for it, especially the guitar solo...eeek...I think it's one of their first "filler' tunes, imho

:P

I believe the solo was recorded outside Le Studio with a giant stack blasting across the lake and reverberating off the hillside on the other shore.

For that reason alone it's two thumbs up from me.

• Like 3

Yeah, I love it. One of the best tunes on the album. It has a funky get down "attitude" kind of like the Permanent Waves section of Natural Science. The way Alex plays guitar or something.

I think most people who don't like the song typically blame it on the lyrics. But only Rush can do a song that talks about scientific stuff and rock out. Signals is almost a science textbook. But the song is obviously about relationships and the communication in them.

Love Chemistry, but don't quite understand not liking a song for lyrics. I know you're not saying this.

Lyrics have no bearing on the "sound". If it had lyrics you (not you, the generic "you") liked, you'd like the song? Why? It sounds the same.

Admittedly, I'm not a lyrics guy, meaning that I appreciate good lyrics, but it's the sound that I like or not.