How did you discover Rush ?

Tuesday's Gone

How did you discover Rush and what was the first song you heard by them ?

I was playing Frets on Fire which is a Guitar Hero clone on PC. I downloaded a pack of songs in which there was Under The Shadow (part 2 of The Necromancer).

It made me want to listen to more stuff by Rush. The first album I listened to was Fly By Night.

Around 5-6 years old, my dad started playing Lock And Key. Still one of my favorite songs from the boys, though my opinion of HYF has definitely degraded over time, as it has with many people.
  • Like 1

1981. Skipped school (9 years old) went to the bowling alley w/ my(older) friends lol. Heard Tom Sawyer. Asked who that was and a buddy said "thats Rush, my sister has all their records". I borrowed them from her, went to store every weekend after that and bought 1 at a time til I was caught up.
  • Like 1

The year was 1980 on a cold Saturday winter morning in NYC a friend brought over Permanent Waves. We nearly wore my turn table out, we called them record players.
  • Like 1

I don't remember exactly how I discovered them. I know Permanent Waves is the first album I heard and it blew me away. I wore out two cassettes of it through out high school though.
  • Like 3

It was April 1980 and I was 16. The boyfriend I had just started dating introduced me to Permanent Waves, and I got into pretty much everything else they did soon afterwards. The boyfriend isn't around in my life anymore, but Rush is :D
  • Like 4

Friend's house, 1976. I was 14. Just finished listening to Uriah Heep Live. My friend drops the stylus on this, and the world changed forever...

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 3

Back in 2006-7 I was 12 years old an really into Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles and the like. I listened to them obsessively and watched all the documentaries about them. A friend of mine one day showed me a song by the name of "Working Man". I thought it was really good, I hadn't heard anything like it. I looked up a few other random songs and discovered One Little Victory and Digital Man and liked them too, yet never went much further. Fast forward a few years I was still into Zeppelin and the Beatles like an annoying little dork and a friend of mine was trying to get me to like heavy metal. He was a huge Rush fan and made me listen to Red Sector A, Kid Gloves, and Far Cry. I was hooked at that point and kept looking into them. I've been a huge fan ever since.
  • Like 1

I was in my late teens and saw ATWAS at the record store. Never heard Rush before. Decided to risk the whole $11-12 of lawn mowing money for a double album. Didn't know what I was gonna hear, but I was convinced that the stage set on the cover would kick ass. Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 2

It was 1999 (so I'd be 15) and I bought an issue of Classic Rock Magazine, because of a big article on Pink Floyd. On the back page of the mag there was one of those Top 10 bass players as voted by the readers lists. My Dad asks "Is Geddy Lee mentioned?" I look at the list and nod, "yeah, he's number one....who's Geddy Lee?"

My Dad tells me a bit about Rush, goes upstairs and comes down with a cassette of the first half of Exit...Stage Left.

I thought Spirit of Radio was OK, but Red Barchetta absolutely kicked my arse. He gives me the tape, and I played that thing to death. Eventually, the tape gets chewed up in the machine...so I go and buy the CD..and hear the 2nd half for the first time...and fall head over heels for Xanadu :wub:

• Like 5

Bought Exit...Stage Left on cassette in 1987 in prepareing for a 2 week family vacation from hell. Had heard Tom Sawyer on the radio a bunch and I always liked live albums. Stuck in a VW Van and traveling over 2K miles I played that tape non-stop. First stop I could I bought Hemispheres on cassette at K-Mart. $4.99. Listening to Hemispheres was like an out of body experience for a 14 year old. Hooked ever since.
  • Like 3

I discovered Rush when I was 16 years old in late 2012. Two classmates of mine recommended me to start listening to Rush and so they played me The Spirit of Radio. I thought the song was great and I was especially impressed by Neil's fantastic drumming, so I decided to start listening to the band. At the time I discovered them they had just been announced as the headliners of the Sweden Rock Festival 2013 which takes place the first week of June every year. I went there to see them along with my older brother, who also is a Rush fan, and the band put on an amazing show. The concert is without a doubt one of the three best concerts I've ever seen.
  • Like 1

Bought Exit...Stage Left on cassette in 1987 in prepareing for a 2 week family vacation from hell. Had heard Tom Sawyer on the radio a bunch and I always liked live albums. Stuck in a VW Van and traveling over 2K miles I played that tape non-stop. First stop I could I bought Hemispheres on cassette at K-Mart. $4.99. Listening to Hemispheres was like an out of body experience for a 14 year old. Hooked ever since.

Splendid! We love Hemispheres!! :wub: :wub: :wub: That is...most of us love Hemispheres. :wacko:

• Like 2

I was lost, found an ancient album pressing in an ice cave.

Was it Caress of Steel? Were you tempted to use it as firewood?

• Like 1

I was 18 and got a summer job cleaning this divorced lady's pool and mowing her lawn.

She was around 40 but didn't look a day over 25. Smoking hot.

One day I was cleaning the pool while she was sunbathing on her stomach with her top undone.

I had my back turned and she called out my name. Then she sat up a little to reveal what was previously covered. She asked me, 'so do you like what you see?'

She then got up and walked over to the house without her top and said 'i think there's something inside you could fix for me'. So then I walked inside....

oh sorry, different first Rush experience.

• Like 9

I don't remember exactly how I discovered them. I know Permanent Waves is the first album I heard and it blew me away. I wore out two cassettes of it through out high school though.

I do know it was 1982 during the summer before Signals was released.

I was about 9 years old and my uncle Played COS on vinyl for me. i was interested and he let me hear 2112 and AFTK afterwards. But as i've said. it was Permanent waves that really hooked me.

Mick

• Like 1

Bought MP on a whim and it blew my mind grapes.
  • Like 2

It´s a long story, but to make a long story short...

My dad had tried to convince me to like Moving Pictures (only album he had) for like a year. I did not liked it at all... I HATED Geddy´s voice.

But then Rush came to Sweden on their Time Machine Tour, so my dad fixed tickets from his job and forced me to join him. And then when they played Stick It Out... I was stuck.

And then when I got home, I fixed all their music (downloaded it first, and then bought the CDs one by one). The first album I really liked was Snakes & Arrows, I was listening to it every day for weeks. And then I started to explore their music more.

I remember the last album I was listening to was Hemispheres. I was not really into Prog rock back then, before I found Rush I was listening to simple Rock music (Queen, Bad Company etc).

And now I am the one that is teaching dad all the Rush music, since he only knew about Moving Pictures.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 2

Driving to work and needing something to listen to in the car that wasn't full of cheese or explosives, i mean explicit language.
  • Like 1