How did you discover Rush ?

Tuesday's Gone

I was playing Frets on Fire which is a Guitar Hero clone on PC. I downloaded a pack of songs in which there was Under The Shadow (part 2 of The Necromancer).

It made me want to listen to more stuff by Rush. The first album I listened to was Fly By Night.

At this point, I liked their music but they weren't really my favorite band. I then listened to the debut, then I went with Caress Of Steel and listened to their albums chronogically. I became obsessed with RUSH once I started listening to AFTK and Hemispheres. :)

When I was 14 my friends had Rush albums, I was into ACDC then and especially Iron Maiden and the scorpions, I didn't care too much for the Rush stuff and found it a bit boring. My Mother used to buy a Womens weekly publication which had a order form in for The Britania Music Club, you could order Albums on approval you had 28 days to make your mind up whether you wanted to keep the album or not? If you wanted it you paid for it, if not you returned it? I asked her if I could order something but there was nothing really in there only about 5 Rock albums, Moving Pictures was in there so reluctantly I ordered it. When it arrived I played it, it was vinyl I thought Mmm not sure played it again and thought this is almost likable, eventually played it so many times I fell in love with it. In 1982 aged 16 I bought Signals on Cassette, I mainly played only that album for a year I adored it and still revere it today as the best album they ever made. Edited by Lock And Key

Sometime in the mid seventies76-77 I think. I heard this guy singing on the radio with this odd voice and liked it. It was that simple which in turn turned me into a RUSHNUT of 50 shows including this current tour. Edited by g under p

1981. One of my teachers used 2112 as a teaching tool. Permanent Waves was out at the time, which is still one of my favorite albums. So I had that and the whole back catalog to absorb. I was amazed at how much I really liked it. All of it. Then Moving Pictures came out and that was it. I was like "This is the greatest band of all time"...and that's where I've been ever since

I remember seeing a Zildjian Neil Peart ad in Modern Drummer magazine about 1980. Seeing as though i'd just started playing drums (15 yrs old) i was fascinated by his intricate setup, so i tracked down the first album of theirs i could find, which happened to be Exit...StageLeft.

The rest, as they say, is history :syrinx:

When I was 14 my friends had Rush albums, I was into ACDC then and especially Iron Maiden and the scorpions, I didn't care too much for the Rush stuff and found it a bit boring. My Mother used to buy a Womens weekly publication which had a order form in for The Britania Music Club, you could order Albums on approval you had 28 days to make your mind up whether you wanted to keep the album or not? If you wanted it you paid for it, if not you returned it? I asked her if I could order something but there was nothing really in there only about 5 Rock albums, Moving Pictures was in there so reluctantly I ordered it. When it arrived I played it, it was vinyl I thought Mmm not sure played it again and thought this is almost likable, eventually played it so many times I fell in love with it. In 1982 aged 16 I bought Signals on Cassette, I mainly played only that album for a year I adored it and still revere it today as the best album they ever made.

Signals sometimes gets bashed a bit around here, but I place it behind only Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures in the discography.

I don't remember exactly,but I was at an age where I was really starting to enjoy music when moving pictures came out. That was the first Rush album I owned. Edited by Boston_E

The year was 2012...

I'm quite the fan of a band called Coheed & Cambria and one day I decided to search for bands similar to them. Someone on a random forum had recommended Rush because they thought Geddy had a similar voice to Claudio Sanchez, the singer from Coheed (they both sound like women in other words) so I went on Youtube and found a video someone had made of their top 40 Rush songs or something like that and I watched it :)

I think the first album I ever listened to by them was 2112, I believe I listened to it a few times before venturing into the other albums. Absolutely loved pretty much everything I heard by them :heart: :heart: :heart:

When I was 14 my friends had Rush albums, I was into ACDC then and especially Iron Maiden and the scorpions, I didn't care too much for the Rush stuff and found it a bit boring. My Mother used to buy a Womens weekly publication which had a order form in for The Britania Music Club, you could order Albums on approval you had 28 days to make your mind up whether you wanted to keep the album or not? If you wanted it you paid for it, if not you returned it? I asked her if I could order something but there was nothing really in there only about 5 Rock albums, Moving Pictures was in there so reluctantly I ordered it. When it arrived I played it, it was vinyl I thought Mmm not sure played it again and thought this is almost likable, eventually played it so many times I fell in love with it. In 1982 aged 16 I bought Signals on Cassette, I mainly played only that album for a year I adored it and still revere it today as the best album they ever made.

Signals sometimes gets bashed a bit around here, but I place it behind only Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures in the discography.

In my view Signals was the next to last great album they ever made. Cover to cover with no duds (exception Red Lenses). I forgive them for that one because its only a little over 4 minutes of stink and the rest of Grace Under Pressure is so great...