Fast Car

JohnRogers

To my ears, a good reboot/cover of a great song hardly ever happens.  I've hated almost every one that I've heard.    

34 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

To my ears, a good reboot/cover of a great song hardly ever happens.  I've hated almost every one that I've heard.    

Even Dylan prefers Jimi`s version of All Along the Watchtower... but I can`t think of anything else.  I still think it`s cheating!

• Like 2

I've heard this song on the radio a couple of times now, and I really just don't believe him when he sings "I had a feeling that I belonged. I had a feeling I could be someone." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Even Dylan prefers Jimi`s version of All Along the Watchtower... but I can`t think of anything else.  I still think it`s cheating!

Johnny Cash is version of Hurt is far better than NIN's.

The Who Live at Leeds version of Summertime Blues blows away Eddie Cochran's

Pat Benetar's rendition of I Need A Lover kills John Cougar's.  I'm sure there's plenty more if you took the time.

This (the subject of the thread) is not one.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Pat Benetar's rendition of I Need A Lover kills John Cougar's.  I'm sure there's plenty more if you took the time.

I forgot Hurt. In my defence, it's 5.19am and I don't feel well. :sleep:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

I forgot Hurt. In my defence, it's 5.19am and I don't feel well. :sleep:

np

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ok, I'll be that guy. Who's Luke Combs?

He's a pretty popular country singer that has had a huge hit this summer with a cover version of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car."  It's getting a lot of attention, I think,  because it's been 25 years since it was a hit for her, so there was a whole generation that had not heard it, and it's a well written song. :smile:

That being said, I like the original version better, but his is pretty cool and also it's bringing Tracy, as the songwriter, a ton of royalties.  I admire songwriters a lot (part of what I admire about Rush) because it's one of those things like nuclear physics or something where I can't even fathom how people manage to do it. Hats off to the songwriters here like EP and Fridge and his band (I think I'm forgetting people, I apologize!) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blueschica said:

He's a pretty popular country singer that has had a huge hit this summer with a cover version of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car."  It's getting a lot of attention, I think,  because it's been 25 years since it was a hit for her, so there was a whole generation that had not heard it, and it's a well written song. :smile:

That being said, I like the original version better, but his is pretty cool and also it's bringing Tracy, as the songwriter, a ton of royalties.  I admire songwriters a lot (part of what I admire about Rush) because it's one of those things like nuclear physics or something where I can't even fathom how people manage to do it. Hats off to the songwriters here like EP and Fridge and his band (I think I'm forgetting people, I apologize!) 

It think you may have to add ten years to that. Fast Car is definitely older than 25. Him being a country artist will explain why I don't know him. Outside of being a Garth Brooks fan and the massive crush I used to have on Shania Twain back in the 90s I have zero connection to that genre.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

It think you may have to add ten years to that. Fast Car is definitely older than 25. Him being a country artist will explain why I don't know him. Outside of being a Garth Brooks fan and the massive crush I used to have on Shania Twain back in the 90s I have zero connection to that genre.

Good point! Thank you! That's why I could never be a songwriter, I can't do times and dates, although that might have worked for the Rush time signatures, haha.  Oddly enough I do woodworking and also sewing and after many years I do the conversions and fractions in my head but yes, I guess the song is 35 years old!  :facepalm:  I enjoy Garth and Shania as well.  Have not listened to much country lately except Chris Stapleton, who is more a storyteller type guy.

4 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Full disclosure I didn't know "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was a Beatles song until I was in high school because I'd only ever heard the Elton John version on the radio. I've never been a big fan of the Beatles and prefer EJ's version. :confused:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, taurus said:

I really liked Zeppelin's cover of Dazed & Confused

The greatest cover band ever!  :biggrin:  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

The greatest cover band ever!  :biggrin:  

It's called "pastiche" or "homage," thank you very much! Once upon a time, artists of different genres covering the same song was simply the done thing; that's why there are all those Pat Boone covers of R'n'B tunes.

Of course, taking credit for having written it is, uh, . . .  :bolt:

• Like 1

The Who's Summertime Blues, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, and The MC 5's Motor City is Burning (John Lee Hooker) are at the top for me.I

The bottom?  Any number of remakes of Motown tunes come to mind, but that's a lot of my hometown prejudices coming to the surface.  The Rolling Stones take on " Ain't to Proud to Beg" is poor, but nothing compares to Micheal Bolton caterwauling his way through "Reach Out (I'll Be There).

The Ultimate insult of "flattery" goes to some scumbags obscurely known as Will to Power, for their nauseating mashup of "Freebird" and "Baby I Love Your Way".  In his memoir Peter Frampton reveals his disgust at first hearing the rendition, as neither he or anyone else received a request for permission to record the song.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

The Ultimate insult of "flattery" goes to some scumbags obscurely known as Will to Power, for their nauseating mashup of "Freebird" and "Baby I Love Your Way".  In his memoir Peter Frampton reveals his disgust at first hearing the rendition, as neither he or anyone else received a request for permission to record the song.

Worst ever.  Nothing comes close.   :puke:

11 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

No way, maybe-maybe the single but not the album cut. Then again I expect such a crappy hot take from a guy who calls casserole pizza.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

No way, maybe-maybe the single but not the album cut. Then again I expect such a crappy hot take from a guy who calls casserole pizza.

Sounds like a good poll topic.   I promise I won't poison the jury pool by saying which one you like better.

16 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Meh, not sure about all the Luke Combs hype. Stick with the original Tracy Chapman version.

I heard the Tracy Chapman version again about a week ago, for the first time in decades. I had a whole new appreciation for the song, for both the writing and Tracy's performance. The lyrics meant something coming from her.

Luke Combs didn't need to remake it. Should have just left it alone.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Principled Man said:

20 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Ahem

I did say "almost every one".....  :biggrin:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Principled Man said:

59 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Ahem

Yep. Even though it's basically The Kinks' version turned up to 11, it still wins easily.

And unlike "You Really Got Me," Eddie took Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" and turned a pretty good song into something different, and something way better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

And unlike "You Really Got Me," Eddie took Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" and turned a pretty good song into something different, and something way better.

Ronstadt will always have my devout allegiance.  I could never take sides against her...... :notworthy:  

• Like 2