Fast Car

JohnRogers

4 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

The Who's Summertime Blues, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, and The MC 5's Motor City is Burning (John Lee Hooker) are at the top for me.I

The bottom?  Any number of remakes of Motown tunes come to mind, but that's a lot of my hometown prejudices coming to the surface.  The Rolling Stones take on " Ain't to Proud to Beg" is poor, but nothing compares to Micheal Bolton caterwauling his way through "Reach Out (I'll Be There).

The Ultimate insult of "flattery" goes to some scumbags obscurely known as Will to Power, for their nauseating mashup of "Freebird" and "Baby I Love Your Way".  In his memoir Peter Frampton reveals his disgust at first hearing the rendition, as neither he or anyone else received a request for permission to record the song.

Motown songs should be left alone. Those songs are all about melody and groove, and any of the remakes I've heard completely missed the point.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

And unlike "You Really Got Me," Eddie took Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" and turned a pretty good song into something different, and something way better.

6 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Ronstadt will always have my devout allegiance.  I could never take sides against her...... :notworthy:  

I hear you. Like a lot of guys back then I had a big crush on her, and she has a flawless voice. Your devout allegiance is well justified. But in the case of "You're No Good" I really like what VH did with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yep. Even though it's basically The Kinks' version turned up to 11, it still wins easily.

And unlike "You Really Got Me," Eddie took Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" and turned a pretty good song into something different, and something way better.

You're No Good is actually my favorite VH cover.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You're No Good is actually my favorite VH cover.

Mine too. I'm not a huge fan of any of the remakes that VH did after that, though "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" is pretty good.

1 minute ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Mine too. I'm not a huge fan of any of the remakes that VH did after that, though "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" is pretty good.

I remember reading in Circus right before 1984 came out that In the Midnight Hour was on the expected track list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I remember reading in Circus right before 1984 came out that In the Midnight Hour was on the expected track list.

Would have been interesting to see what Eddie did with that. I'm kinda glad we didn't see that happen as the original is top notch, and I generally hate Motown covers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

No way, maybe-maybe the single but not the album cut. Then again I expect such a crappy hot take from a guy who calls casserole pizza.

Shakin' All Over from Live is Leeds is pretty fantastic too.

• Like 1

I just read an article about this remake.  Apparently Chapman is (at least publicly) ok with it.  She's gaining new fans because of it.  She's got to be getting royalties like crazy.  It's been #1 on the Country charts for three weeks running, a position she didn't reach on any chart in the U.S. in 1988.  And she is now the first black woman to have written a #1 Country hit.

Combs said he's been performing the song in his concerts for the last six years, and when he does, everyone sings along.

I wonder what Chapman would have said if he'd contacted her to ask he permission to record and release it.

I heard it on the radio again this morning. I keep the radio on for my dogs when they are sleeping or in the house alone, and I have it on the Country station because the music is generally mellow.  Needless to say, I've heard this song quite a bit over the last few weeks.